Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ankle braces for tendonitis?

Posted by Nancy S. on 10/01/00 at 19:44 (029574)

Dear Drs. B. and Z.,
I've had PF for 1.5 years (now about 70% better after a bad time), and have had achilles, peroneal, and post. tib. tendonitis in both feet for about 5 months. Getting PT, using Acu-Flex, and am just out of 7 weeks in an aircast for the worse foot.
My question is: My feet are getting stronger, but I do still have some remaining ankle swelling and pain (my dr. told me these would take some time to resolve); would you recommend that I wear lace-up ankle braces when I'm not in my over-the-ankle hiking boots? (When wearing Birks, to be exact.)
My PT has recommended the lace-up ankle braces, but I don't see my dr. again for another 3 weeks, and I would really appreciate your opinions in the meantime. They're not cheap, but if this kind of protection would help I would like to get them.
Thanks very much --
Nancy

Re: ankle braces for tendonitis?

Dr. Biehler on 10/01/00 at 19:59 (029576)

Lace-up ankle braces either come with or without stays depending on the amount of control you need. From the sound of it, you might just need a spandex type ankle support for stability and compression. These come either in a sock like or figure eight type of slip on. Dr. Biehler

Nancy S. on 10/02/00 at 07:09 (029583)

Thanks, Dr. Biehler. I do have some Futuro neoprene ankle supports, but they always start to feel too tight after an hour or two. (The next size up is way too big.) But I haven't tried them in a while -- I'll give them another shot.
Nancy

Re: What affect will the nightsplint have on Tendonitis

Beverly on 10/02/00 at 21:43 (029653)

Speaking of Tendonitis, I am wondering how the nightsplint I ordered
(soft padded kind) will affect my Postibial Tendonitis. It is due any day now. I have PF in both feet and now Tendonitis. Will the nightsplint help, hurt, or have no likely affect on Tendonitis? I plan to start out in neutral with no dorsiflexion.
Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Biehler on 10/03/00 at 06:18 (029667)

The night splint should not have any effect on your posterior tibial tendon. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/01/00 at 19:59 (029576)

Lace-up ankle braces either come with or without stays depending on the amount of control you need. From the sound of it, you might just need a spandex type ankle support for stability and compression. These come either in a sock like or figure eight type of slip on. Dr. Biehler

Nancy S. on 10/02/00 at 07:09 (029583)

Thanks, Dr. Biehler. I do have some Futuro neoprene ankle supports, but they always start to feel too tight after an hour or two. (The next size up is way too big.) But I haven't tried them in a while -- I'll give them another shot.
Nancy

Beverly on 10/02/00 at 21:43 (029653)

Speaking of Tendonitis, I am wondering how the nightsplint I ordered
(soft padded kind) will affect my Postibial Tendonitis. It is due any day now. I have PF in both feet and now Tendonitis. Will the nightsplint help, hurt, or have no likely affect on Tendonitis? I plan to start out in neutral with no dorsiflexion.
Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Biehler on 10/03/00 at 06:18 (029667)

The night splint should not have any effect on your posterior tibial tendon. Dr. B.