Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

checking back after 2 years

Posted by Alex H on 10/02/00 at 02:50 (029580)

Greetings from Hong Kong. I was a regular on this board from about Oct 1998 until mid-1999 - with many postings about acupuncture, shoes, cortisone shots and dozens of other items. I'm not sure if there are still folks around from that time - but if there are I would like to let y'all know that I PLAYED TENNIS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TWO YEARS yesterday. It felt really great to be out there again. My heel is still somewhat stiff every morning - and I continue to stretch it out first thing - but I haven't had serious pain now in over a year. After a lot of walking and golfing I began hitting a tennis ball against a wall about three weeks ago - and played my first serious game today. There is hope for PF sufferers!

Re: checking back after 2 years

Nancy S. on 10/02/00 at 07:05 (029582)

Thanks so much for posting, Alex H.! I didn't find this site until December '99, but we all certainly do need to hear of improvement like yours. Your thoughtfulness is much appreciated, and many congratulations to you --
Nancy

Steve P on 10/02/00 at 10:34 (029590)

Alex --- Thank you, sir! We all appreciate your upbeat message, which we can all certainly use. I remember Hong Kong being very hilly. Makes my feet hurt just thinking about it!

Thanks again for your consideration.

iris on 10/02/00 at 19:01 (029635)

dear alex,
have you determined what was helpful for you to recover? delighted to hear such positive news!

Re: "recovery" is not really the right word

Alex H on 10/02/00 at 21:58 (029658)

Although I am now pretty much fully mobile I don't consider myself fully recovered. My heel is still stiff in the mornings, and I an very careful about what I wear on my feet. For tennis at the weekend I wore New Balance sneakers with gel heel inserts. I wear Mephistos (also with gel inserts) on a daily basis and Birks in the evening.

During the first about 9 months of PF I was able to get some relief - but no actual cure - by acupuncture, using two different acupuncturists (one here in Hong Kong, the other in Atlanta). In March 1999 I decided, after much consideration, to have a cortisone shot. The first 24 hours after the shot were hell, but from then on I have felt much more in control. For many months afterwards I was on a pretty stringent routine of stretching and careful exercise - biking and walking mostly. Icing was necessary quite a lot in those early days. Since the late summer of 1999 I have had no serious pain - but I am still going to take things pretty carefully, continuing morning stretching - and definitely still going to resist any temptation to play/walk through the pain.

Good luck!

Nancy S. on 10/02/00 at 07:05 (029582)

Thanks so much for posting, Alex H.! I didn't find this site until December '99, but we all certainly do need to hear of improvement like yours. Your thoughtfulness is much appreciated, and many congratulations to you --
Nancy

Steve P on 10/02/00 at 10:34 (029590)

Alex --- Thank you, sir! We all appreciate your upbeat message, which we can all certainly use. I remember Hong Kong being very hilly. Makes my feet hurt just thinking about it!

Thanks again for your consideration.

iris on 10/02/00 at 19:01 (029635)

dear alex,
have you determined what was helpful for you to recover? delighted to hear such positive news!

Re: "recovery" is not really the right word

Alex H on 10/02/00 at 21:58 (029658)

Although I am now pretty much fully mobile I don't consider myself fully recovered. My heel is still stiff in the mornings, and I an very careful about what I wear on my feet. For tennis at the weekend I wore New Balance sneakers with gel heel inserts. I wear Mephistos (also with gel inserts) on a daily basis and Birks in the evening.

During the first about 9 months of PF I was able to get some relief - but no actual cure - by acupuncture, using two different acupuncturists (one here in Hong Kong, the other in Atlanta). In March 1999 I decided, after much consideration, to have a cortisone shot. The first 24 hours after the shot were hell, but from then on I have felt much more in control. For many months afterwards I was on a pretty stringent routine of stretching and careful exercise - biking and walking mostly. Icing was necessary quite a lot in those early days. Since the late summer of 1999 I have had no serious pain - but I am still going to take things pretty carefully, continuing morning stretching - and definitely still going to resist any temptation to play/walk through the pain.

Good luck!