Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotics and sore feet

Posted by davidb on 10/02/00 at 11:25 (029592)

Help. I need somre reassurance. After wearing custom-made soft orthotics for several months, I've just switched to custom-made fiberglass orthotics. The soft orthotics made me walk funny because there was an arch support pad. The fiberglass orthotics are doing an effective job of shifting my weight from the heel area and distributing it elsewhere. But as I'm trying to break them in, they are leaving me with an ache in the arch and the middle of my foot because the area is bearing weight that it previously did not bear, but I have no heel pain. My podiatrist and pedorthist both said the arch is not too high. I guess I just need some more reassurance. I assume the ache is to be expected until I'm used to the new orthotics. Right?

Re: orthotics and sore feet

john h on 10/02/00 at 13:00 (029598)

i would say listen to your feet david. hard orthotics made my feet much worse. talk to your doctors again.

Nancy S. on 10/02/00 at 14:17 (029608)

David, how long have you tried breaking in the hard orthotics? I didn't have good luck with them at all -- they made me worse. Sorry, this probably isn't reassuring! I just don't want to see you wear them for a long time if they hurt you and have you end up worse because of them, which has happened to a number of people on the board. I think I recall reading that they are appropriate for only a few people with very specific conditions. If I were you I would go back to the doctor about this and not continue wearing something that hurts you.
Nancy

wendyn on 10/02/00 at 16:40 (029612)

I agree with what the others have said. I thought my hard orthotics were great for about the first 6 months, but I developed new pain while wearing them. This intensified and became severe at about the 14 month point in wearing those orthotics. I am still recovering from what happened, and in retrospect (2 years after the fact) I attribute a lot of what happened since then to those orthotics. I now wear Birkenstocks all the time, and my feet continue to improve.

I do have structural problems and I really should be in orthotics - but I have not been able to find any I can wear.

Please listen to your body.

Kathy on 10/02/00 at 17:25 (029622)

Couldn't wear hard orthotics, got my new soft ones from pedorthists and continue to wear them for the most part pain free, these have been a real god send.

Pauline on 10/02/00 at 20:14 (029638)

Have had 4 pair of custom orthotics and never been able to wear any of them without great pain. I put them in a bag along with everything else I have tried and simply use a good pair of running shoes. I made my own heel pads and slipped them under the innersole
of the shoe. So far this has worked best for me. I don't think orthotics are the answer for everyone and if you have that much pain I would discuss it with the Dr. again and perhaps try a softer variety or something else. Good Luck

Beverly on 10/02/00 at 21:33 (029650)

I've tried custom orthodics 2x now. Neither helped and both made me feel worse. However, before giving up on this pair, have you had them adjusted? Sometimes it takes several adjustments. Unfortantely, even after adjustments, they did not work for me. This last set did not cost me $$ because the orthodics person was nice enough to make me a temporary set first... a way to test them out.

Everyone is different. There are people here who love their orthodics.
It is one of those trial by error things and there are so many different kinds available that just adds to the confusion.

I wear Spenco otc.
Beverly

john h on 10/02/00 at 13:00 (029598)

i would say listen to your feet david. hard orthotics made my feet much worse. talk to your doctors again.

Nancy S. on 10/02/00 at 14:17 (029608)

David, how long have you tried breaking in the hard orthotics? I didn't have good luck with them at all -- they made me worse. Sorry, this probably isn't reassuring! I just don't want to see you wear them for a long time if they hurt you and have you end up worse because of them, which has happened to a number of people on the board. I think I recall reading that they are appropriate for only a few people with very specific conditions. If I were you I would go back to the doctor about this and not continue wearing something that hurts you.
Nancy

wendyn on 10/02/00 at 16:40 (029612)

I agree with what the others have said. I thought my hard orthotics were great for about the first 6 months, but I developed new pain while wearing them. This intensified and became severe at about the 14 month point in wearing those orthotics. I am still recovering from what happened, and in retrospect (2 years after the fact) I attribute a lot of what happened since then to those orthotics. I now wear Birkenstocks all the time, and my feet continue to improve.

I do have structural problems and I really should be in orthotics - but I have not been able to find any I can wear.

Please listen to your body.

Kathy on 10/02/00 at 17:25 (029622)

Couldn't wear hard orthotics, got my new soft ones from pedorthists and continue to wear them for the most part pain free, these have been a real god send.

Pauline on 10/02/00 at 20:14 (029638)

Have had 4 pair of custom orthotics and never been able to wear any of them without great pain. I put them in a bag along with everything else I have tried and simply use a good pair of running shoes. I made my own heel pads and slipped them under the innersole
of the shoe. So far this has worked best for me. I don't think orthotics are the answer for everyone and if you have that much pain I would discuss it with the Dr. again and perhaps try a softer variety or something else. Good Luck

Beverly on 10/02/00 at 21:33 (029650)

I've tried custom orthodics 2x now. Neither helped and both made me feel worse. However, before giving up on this pair, have you had them adjusted? Sometimes it takes several adjustments. Unfortantely, even after adjustments, they did not work for me. This last set did not cost me $$ because the orthodics person was nice enough to make me a temporary set first... a way to test them out.

Everyone is different. There are people here who love their orthodics.
It is one of those trial by error things and there are so many different kinds available that just adds to the confusion.

I wear Spenco otc.
Beverly