Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Choosing a doctor for surgery

Posted by Caitlin S. on 10/02/00 at 11:30 (029593)

Can anyone tell me of a website or a place to go for help with choosing a good doctor for plantar fasciitis surgery? I've had PF for about a year now. I've been to several different doctors and tried all of the suggested things to treat this but none have worked. I'm still in horrible pain and I'm considering the option of having the surgery.

I live in the Shreveport, LA area - has anyone had this surgery by a doctor in that area? If so - any advice on who to see?

Thank you for the advice!!

Re: Choosing a doctor for surgery

Dr. Biehler on 10/02/00 at 12:12 (029594)

If you are still in pain, I would suggest you find out all you can about ESWT as an alternative to surgery. You can always have the surgery later if it does not work for you. Dr. Biehler

Caitlin S. on 10/02/00 at 13:10 (029600)

Thank you for the suggestion. I was just reading more about that. To add to my problem - I am currently going through the steps to get accepted into the FBI. Because of this - I need to train to get physically prepared if I get accepted. I have not been able to do any training (other than upper body) because of this PF. I just talked to my podiatrist and he will NOT do the surgery. He wants me to continue with the orthodics, stretching, icing, etc. before trying the surgery. I understand this but because I have some time constraints and need to try to get better as soon as possible - I am very frustrated and was hoping for the surgery as at least an option to give me some relief.
Knowing these time contraints - would you still suggest ESWT over surgery? If so, do you know of any places (preferably close to Louisiana) that do ESWT? I've been trying to research this on the web and haven't come across anything yet.
I appreciate your help and quick response! I am a very active person - I'm a P.E. teacher and golf instructor - this is so frustrating!
Thanks again!

Dr. Biehler on 10/02/00 at 13:36 (029602)

Surgery can take up to six months to heal. With ESWT, hopfully the pain is knocked-out right away. The ESWT then stimulates the healing of the fascia. This allows you to carry on while the healing takes place. ESWT does not work every time and sometimes more than one treatment is needed. Either way, ESWT should be your treatment of choice over surgery. With surgery you run the risk of doing damage to one of the supporting structures of the foot which should be avoided if possible in any person who is active in sports. The ESWT works best if there is a localized area of pain. If you are serious about getting this taken care of, get ready to fly up to the north east and we will work out arraingments for your treatment.

Caitlin S. on 10/02/00 at 13:40 (029603)

Thanks for the information. Can you tell me where in the north east? I'm planning on going to the New York area the first weekend in November. Is it near there? Also - can you give me an approximate price range for this type of treatment? Does insurance usually cover something like this?

Thanks again!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/02/00 at 13:47 (029604)

Hi

We have done over 100 ESWT procedures with very effective results.
IF you would like additional information including a video tape
Please call my office @ 1-856-848-3338 and ask to speak with Katie

Caitlin S. on 10/02/00 at 13:54 (029605)

Thank you. I will call her today! Do you have a website that discusses this specific treatment as performed by you? Just trying to get as much information as possible.

thanks again..

Dr. Biehler on 10/02/00 at 13:56 (029606)

Just click on the names at the top of this page.

Dr. Biehler on 10/02/00 at 12:12 (029594)

If you are still in pain, I would suggest you find out all you can about ESWT as an alternative to surgery. You can always have the surgery later if it does not work for you. Dr. Biehler

Caitlin S. on 10/02/00 at 13:10 (029600)

Thank you for the suggestion. I was just reading more about that. To add to my problem - I am currently going through the steps to get accepted into the FBI. Because of this - I need to train to get physically prepared if I get accepted. I have not been able to do any training (other than upper body) because of this PF. I just talked to my podiatrist and he will NOT do the surgery. He wants me to continue with the orthodics, stretching, icing, etc. before trying the surgery. I understand this but because I have some time constraints and need to try to get better as soon as possible - I am very frustrated and was hoping for the surgery as at least an option to give me some relief.
Knowing these time contraints - would you still suggest ESWT over surgery? If so, do you know of any places (preferably close to Louisiana) that do ESWT? I've been trying to research this on the web and haven't come across anything yet.
I appreciate your help and quick response! I am a very active person - I'm a P.E. teacher and golf instructor - this is so frustrating!
Thanks again!

Dr. Biehler on 10/02/00 at 13:36 (029602)

Surgery can take up to six months to heal. With ESWT, hopfully the pain is knocked-out right away. The ESWT then stimulates the healing of the fascia. This allows you to carry on while the healing takes place. ESWT does not work every time and sometimes more than one treatment is needed. Either way, ESWT should be your treatment of choice over surgery. With surgery you run the risk of doing damage to one of the supporting structures of the foot which should be avoided if possible in any person who is active in sports. The ESWT works best if there is a localized area of pain. If you are serious about getting this taken care of, get ready to fly up to the north east and we will work out arraingments for your treatment.

Caitlin S. on 10/02/00 at 13:40 (029603)

Thanks for the information. Can you tell me where in the north east? I'm planning on going to the New York area the first weekend in November. Is it near there? Also - can you give me an approximate price range for this type of treatment? Does insurance usually cover something like this?

Thanks again!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/02/00 at 13:47 (029604)

Hi

We have done over 100 ESWT procedures with very effective results.
IF you would like additional information including a video tape
Please call my office @ 1-856-848-3338 and ask to speak with Katie

Caitlin S. on 10/02/00 at 13:54 (029605)

Thank you. I will call her today! Do you have a website that discusses this specific treatment as performed by you? Just trying to get as much information as possible.

thanks again..

Dr. Biehler on 10/02/00 at 13:56 (029606)

Just click on the names at the top of this page.