Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

searching messages

Posted by Scott R on 10/02/00 at 12:18 (029595)

Since there are too many results returned from doing searches, I haveto find a way to exclude some messages. I may need to exclude the social/support board since it includes the most messages that future visitors will not be interested in.

Re: searching messages

john h on 10/02/00 at 14:08 (029607)

ouch! the social support board? ouch! Ouch! in reality it should be called the 'Psycho Thearpy Board' which is what most of us need as much as anything.

Nancy S. on 10/02/00 at 14:35 (029609)

I agree with John.
Any other way to divide up the search? Such as searching 1999-2000, and then earlier messages through 1998 if a person wants more or earlier info.?
Making one whole section of the board unsearchable seems sad. I mean the support (and hope and success) there seems to mean quite a bit to new posters, who mention the supportive atmosphere here quite often -- and there is still a lot of overlap there with other boards; plenty of treatments/symptoms info. appears there, for example.
Nancy

wendyn on 10/02/00 at 16:41 (029613)

I understand what Scott is getting at...but I agree - a lot of valuable info will be lost. Is it possible to specifiy which message boards an individual wants to search?

Scott R on 10/02/00 at 16:59 (029617)

I'll include an option for including or excluding the social messages. What is really needed is a system for ranking messages. Maybe I could sort messages based on if the search term is in the subject heading, or the number of times it's mentioned. But advertisers should not abuse this or I'll have to run a search and delete program based on if their product is found in a message.

Beverly on 10/02/00 at 22:07 (029660)

Scott,

There is much crossover here. Today, I posted about my tendonitis getting me down in the dumps, PF that seems neverending... It could have just as easily been on the symptom/treatment board.

But I understand that the storage is getting eaten up.
How about:
Having searches available through the last twelve months on all boards but older ones are deleted?

Thanks for all you do for us,
Beverly

john h on 10/02/00 at 14:08 (029607)

ouch! the social support board? ouch! Ouch! in reality it should be called the 'Psycho Thearpy Board' which is what most of us need as much as anything.

Nancy S. on 10/02/00 at 14:35 (029609)

I agree with John.
Any other way to divide up the search? Such as searching 1999-2000, and then earlier messages through 1998 if a person wants more or earlier info.?
Making one whole section of the board unsearchable seems sad. I mean the support (and hope and success) there seems to mean quite a bit to new posters, who mention the supportive atmosphere here quite often -- and there is still a lot of overlap there with other boards; plenty of treatments/symptoms info. appears there, for example.
Nancy

wendyn on 10/02/00 at 16:41 (029613)

I understand what Scott is getting at...but I agree - a lot of valuable info will be lost. Is it possible to specifiy which message boards an individual wants to search?

Scott R on 10/02/00 at 16:59 (029617)

I'll include an option for including or excluding the social messages. What is really needed is a system for ranking messages. Maybe I could sort messages based on if the search term is in the subject heading, or the number of times it's mentioned. But advertisers should not abuse this or I'll have to run a search and delete program based on if their product is found in a message.

Beverly on 10/02/00 at 22:07 (029660)

Scott,

There is much crossover here. Today, I posted about my tendonitis getting me down in the dumps, PF that seems neverending... It could have just as easily been on the symptom/treatment board.

But I understand that the storage is getting eaten up.
How about:
Having searches available through the last twelve months on all boards but older ones are deleted?

Thanks for all you do for us,
Beverly