Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

From surgery to hepatitis of unknown etiology to cfids to HEEL PAIN!

Posted by Leanne S. on 10/03/00 at 07:55 (029669)

I am currently suffering from constant severe heel pain. (I am only telling the following story, because I think it is all related). Ten years ago, at age 36, I had a hysterectomy. Back in the hospital one day after release with 105 temp. While in the hospital I was treated for cuff infection, internal bleeding (although they could not find the source), ... I had my left leg swell and become splotchy. The doctors did not seem concerned...(at least not about the leg). After two weeks in the hospital, I was released with a 'hep-lock' (so I could continue my intravenous treatments) and sent to another doctor to treat my leg...he called it 'Livedo Riticularius'. By this time, I didn't want to see another doctor for ANY reason. I began running a low grade fever (This continued for 31 days...mostly in the evenings my temp would climb to between 101 and 102). When I went in for my final check on my leg...the doctor asked me how long I had been running the fever. He then called the doctor that did the hysterectomy, and wanted me to go in to him. I was furious! I went back to the first doctor who sent me to another doctor..where I was seen over and over for several months (hospitalized many times for numerous tests), and diagnosed with hepatitis of unknown etiology. Doctors I had never been to began calling me at home and wanting me to come in for an appointment. I was hospitalized many times over the following 14 months. Diagnosed with mono, chronic epstein barr syndrome, lupus, and finally chronic fatique and immune dysfunction. During this time, my heels began to bother me. Especially after I had been sitting for long periods of time...when I would stand, the pain would be excruciating. My heels felt like bruises. I refused to go to another doctor. (The doctors wanted to take a liver biopsy...etc...and I just didn't want any more!) I slowly got better and began working again. After several years, the pain has now returned and has become very severe. I can hardly walk some days. I still don't want to go to a doctor for any reason. I am very wary of them! Do you think all these symptoms are related? (I also had a case of shingles when I was only 24 years old...maybe that is where it all began). Thanks.

Re: From surgery to hepatitis of unknown etiology to cfids to HEEL PAIN!

Dr. Biehler on 10/03/00 at 09:03 (029671)

Shingels comes from the same virus that gives chichen pox. It sound like you have had a lot of virus problems. I wonder if it is related to your hospital stay or to the geographical location where your live. I can see why you want to avoid doctors. Dr. B.

Leanne S. on 10/03/00 at 09:36 (029673)

I just thought it was a problem with the immune system causing all the different symptoms. I was just wondering if the heel pain is associated with everything else. I am basically doing fine now, with the exception of the heel pain. And after the episode with shingles, I didn't have any more problems until the surgery 11 years later. After all the complications following surgery....I haven't had anything wrong except the heel pain. This has just recently become a real problem. The pain was off and on for the last two or three years. I live in southern New Mexico where the climate is supposed to be great for most problems. Just wanted your input on what you thought might be wrong.
Thanks.

Barbara TX on 10/03/00 at 09:48 (029674)

I am not a doctor, but it seems to me that some PF is brought on by long periods of being sedentary... this shortens the muscles in your foot and then when you use them suddenly - you have an injury to the tendons and muscles. Your hospital stay and following illness certainly qualify. After reading about PF a lot, it seems to me that people who go quickly from zero to 65 on the activity scale (athletes like sprinters, or sendentary people who spring out of bed or are weekend warrior athletes) injure their feet in this way. What do you think, doctors? B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/03/00 at 10:48 (029675)

There are a lot of causes of heel pain. If the pain is directly under the heel, it might have been caused by repetative trama. As we get older the fat pad we have under our heel starts to thin and can slide out to the sides. This doesn't leave enough protection for the heel bone. As we get more mature we need to start making sure all our shoes provide us with enough support and cushioning. Scott's book on heel pain which he has printed on this web site is a must read. Dr. B.

Re: immune system

alan k on 10/04/00 at 08:35 (029753)

Keep searching for an answer. My wife and I got pf from an infection or virus. My liver was tested and I had elevated enzyme levels, suspected hepatitis, but then tested negatvie for hep and the liver stabilized.

Normal healing of injuries like pf includes the immune system developing increasing sophistication and differentiation, and specialized attack cells that eliminate necrotic tissues, among other things. Chronic cases, in many instances, can be due to an incomplete immune/inflammatory response. An infection or virus that disrupts immune system functioning, on top of a sensitive liver for the elimination of toxins, is in my view definitely a possibile cause of chronic pf in some cases.

Milk Thistle extract is reported to help the liver among Hepatitis C patients.

I can report that despite the continued presence of the agent in our system, my wife has eliminated all symptoms of pf, completely, and only has remaining symptoms in the hands, and I have my life back the way I want it, but with some remaining general achiness after long periods on the feet. Exercise and massage accomplished this.

So, Please do keep searching for answers, as we continue to do, but do note that the normal conservative treatments for Pf can still work for you, if our case is relevant, and you should still pursue self-treatment religiously even if there is something else going on with you.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few other people here might not have a toxic, viral, or infectious agent as one contirbuting factor in immune system disruption as well.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Leanne S. on 10/04/00 at 15:52 (029778)

Thanks so much for your information. I also had very high elevated enzyme levels for 14 months. That is why the doctors wanted to do a liver biopsy. I was tested for every kind of hepatitis which came up negative. The doctors then labeled it 'hepatitis of unknown etiology'. I appreciated your response, and I will keep searching. Thanks again.

Beverly on 10/04/00 at 17:14 (029788)

Leanne,

I am not a medical person but I can empathize as a person with a poor immune system. I've never thought about a connection between the two, but I've had Epstein Barr (recovered), multiple food allergies,
ocular Herpes (thankfully caught quickly with no damage), and tendonitis in various parts of my body (wrist, elbow, now ankle).
And a few other things...

So, I can feel for you and how frightening and frustrating it is to feel bad all the time.

Best wishes,
Beverly

john h on 10/05/00 at 18:29 (029878)

i was recently reading an article from a medical journal on the effects of a weak immune system of plantar fasciaitis. i have read so many journal articles i cannot remember which one it was. it was a study conducted on lab animals.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/08/00 at 07:55 (030030)

I don't know if I would go to another doctor again after what you went thru. I sure would be very scared. So be ware I am a doctor. The effect or the immune system and plantar fasciitis does make sense especially since there are local arthritic process that can contribute to Pf and heel pain Reiter syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis.
So here is what I would do.

You many never find the cause but you still have to deal and live with the pain.

I find that the real damage with plantar fasciitis is the compensation to other areas, joints of the foot and lower extremity.Pain is going to make you walk different.

So read Scott's book and stretch. IF I were you i will follow and learn as much as you can frm Alan. This is a past history in his family from virus-infection pf. So learn as much as you can from him .

Don't ignore the pain . Treat the symtoms. This is probaby the longest I have ever written but I feel something important and this is that Alan may beable to help you or lead you in the right direction,

Dr. Biehler on 10/03/00 at 09:03 (029671)

Shingels comes from the same virus that gives chichen pox. It sound like you have had a lot of virus problems. I wonder if it is related to your hospital stay or to the geographical location where your live. I can see why you want to avoid doctors. Dr. B.

Leanne S. on 10/03/00 at 09:36 (029673)

I just thought it was a problem with the immune system causing all the different symptoms. I was just wondering if the heel pain is associated with everything else. I am basically doing fine now, with the exception of the heel pain. And after the episode with shingles, I didn't have any more problems until the surgery 11 years later. After all the complications following surgery....I haven't had anything wrong except the heel pain. This has just recently become a real problem. The pain was off and on for the last two or three years. I live in southern New Mexico where the climate is supposed to be great for most problems. Just wanted your input on what you thought might be wrong.
Thanks.

Barbara TX on 10/03/00 at 09:48 (029674)

I am not a doctor, but it seems to me that some PF is brought on by long periods of being sedentary... this shortens the muscles in your foot and then when you use them suddenly - you have an injury to the tendons and muscles. Your hospital stay and following illness certainly qualify. After reading about PF a lot, it seems to me that people who go quickly from zero to 65 on the activity scale (athletes like sprinters, or sendentary people who spring out of bed or are weekend warrior athletes) injure their feet in this way. What do you think, doctors? B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/03/00 at 10:48 (029675)

There are a lot of causes of heel pain. If the pain is directly under the heel, it might have been caused by repetative trama. As we get older the fat pad we have under our heel starts to thin and can slide out to the sides. This doesn't leave enough protection for the heel bone. As we get more mature we need to start making sure all our shoes provide us with enough support and cushioning. Scott's book on heel pain which he has printed on this web site is a must read. Dr. B.

alan k on 10/04/00 at 08:35 (029753)

Keep searching for an answer. My wife and I got pf from an infection or virus. My liver was tested and I had elevated enzyme levels, suspected hepatitis, but then tested negatvie for hep and the liver stabilized.

Normal healing of injuries like pf includes the immune system developing increasing sophistication and differentiation, and specialized attack cells that eliminate necrotic tissues, among other things. Chronic cases, in many instances, can be due to an incomplete immune/inflammatory response. An infection or virus that disrupts immune system functioning, on top of a sensitive liver for the elimination of toxins, is in my view definitely a possibile cause of chronic pf in some cases.

Milk Thistle extract is reported to help the liver among Hepatitis C patients.

I can report that despite the continued presence of the agent in our system, my wife has eliminated all symptoms of pf, completely, and only has remaining symptoms in the hands, and I have my life back the way I want it, but with some remaining general achiness after long periods on the feet. Exercise and massage accomplished this.

So, Please do keep searching for answers, as we continue to do, but do note that the normal conservative treatments for Pf can still work for you, if our case is relevant, and you should still pursue self-treatment religiously even if there is something else going on with you.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few other people here might not have a toxic, viral, or infectious agent as one contirbuting factor in immune system disruption as well.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Leanne S. on 10/04/00 at 15:52 (029778)

Thanks so much for your information. I also had very high elevated enzyme levels for 14 months. That is why the doctors wanted to do a liver biopsy. I was tested for every kind of hepatitis which came up negative. The doctors then labeled it 'hepatitis of unknown etiology'. I appreciated your response, and I will keep searching. Thanks again.

Beverly on 10/04/00 at 17:14 (029788)

Leanne,

I am not a medical person but I can empathize as a person with a poor immune system. I've never thought about a connection between the two, but I've had Epstein Barr (recovered), multiple food allergies,
ocular Herpes (thankfully caught quickly with no damage), and tendonitis in various parts of my body (wrist, elbow, now ankle).
And a few other things...

So, I can feel for you and how frightening and frustrating it is to feel bad all the time.

Best wishes,
Beverly

john h on 10/05/00 at 18:29 (029878)

i was recently reading an article from a medical journal on the effects of a weak immune system of plantar fasciaitis. i have read so many journal articles i cannot remember which one it was. it was a study conducted on lab animals.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/08/00 at 07:55 (030030)

I don't know if I would go to another doctor again after what you went thru. I sure would be very scared. So be ware I am a doctor. The effect or the immune system and plantar fasciitis does make sense especially since there are local arthritic process that can contribute to Pf and heel pain Reiter syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis.
So here is what I would do.

You many never find the cause but you still have to deal and live with the pain.

I find that the real damage with plantar fasciitis is the compensation to other areas, joints of the foot and lower extremity.Pain is going to make you walk different.

So read Scott's book and stretch. IF I were you i will follow and learn as much as you can frm Alan. This is a past history in his family from virus-infection pf. So learn as much as you can from him .

Don't ignore the pain . Treat the symtoms. This is probaby the longest I have ever written but I feel something important and this is that Alan may beable to help you or lead you in the right direction,