Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Had EPF on both feet at the same time.. :)

Posted by Lisa on 10/03/00 at 15:15 (029695)

The first day was hell on wheels but I was going to make it work no matter what.. I continue to move my foot and stretch as much as I could as I laid on my bed. Second day and I was already standing. Third day and I was walking from my PC chair (it has wheels) to the bathroom and a bit around the house. Fourth day and I drove myself to my doctors office, walking all the way in from my car and back. On the fifth day I took my first 'complete' shower. Its been two weeks now and I am moving around close to normal. I still stretch everyday.. My right foot feels like heaven, almost no pain at all. The left foot has a bit of numbness on the outter lateral down to my pinkie and feels a little bulky where the incisions where made. I think I am doing rather well. Will welcome all comments.

Re: Forgot to mentioned.. I got no crutches, no casts.. only regular bandages/dressing (eom)

Lisa on 10/03/00 at 15:20 (029696)

Re: Had EPF on both feet at the same time.. :)

john h on 10/03/00 at 17:10 (029704)

lisa: what type of surgery did you have? open, closed, endoscope? any idea how much of the fascia was released? sounds like you are doing great.

Lisa on 10/03/00 at 19:56 (029718)

Endoscopic.. doctor mentioned taking off 1/3 of fascia. The numbness got me a bit worried, but its not a 'no-feel' numbness. I only know the spot is there when I look for it with my hand.. Otherwise it doesn't bother me. Are you contemplating surgery? Feel free to mail me if you wish.

Bruce on 10/04/00 at 02:34 (029735)

My dooctor may be consiidering surgery on my feet. What is EPF please?

Re: EPF = Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy

Lisa on 10/04/00 at 08:12 (029751)

It involves the cutting of part of the fascia close to the spur to losen the tighness of it.

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 18:11 (029790)

An endoscope is a cammera that is run into the foot to visualize the fascia band as it is being cut. The band can be alternativly be released through a small ' stab' inscision with out the cammera. This is a lot less tramatic on the foot. Dr. B.

Becky Hamlin on 10/05/00 at 07:40 (029821)

Good morning, just ready your testimoy and it sounds great. I am having surgery, just on 1 foot the first week in November. I live in North Carolina, where do you live and who did your surgery?

john h on 10/08/00 at 20:06 (030063)

hi becky: i lived in murphy, n.c. (cherokee county) many years ago.

Re: I am having surgery on Nov 8, What can I expect;

Becky on 10/11/00 at 09:34 (030273)

Hi the doctor has just scheduled my surgery for the 8th of Nov. I dont see him again until Oct. 30. So could you guys help out be telling me what to expect. And what are some good questions to ask him before I have the EPF done?

KellyD on 10/11/00 at 09:52 (030276)

Becky - check out the surgery patients database. I read through those before I had surgery - and it gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect - BUT don't be scared off! I've been posting my progress - and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have. The most important questions to ask prior to surgery is what your post-op instructions are so you're prepared. Time on your feet should be limited until the fascia heals (about 6 weeks max - with weeks 3-4 the most important) in order to avoid lateral destabilization. If your doctor doesn't require that (and amazingly, some don't), impose it on yourself. Many doctors now are also using immobilization for the 1st 3 weeks (although mine is doing the full 6 weeks) - so ask about that. But most important, I've had 2 previous foot surgeries, and in comparison, the EPF itself was a breeze. But it's what you do afterwards that will determine your success.

ann on 10/12/00 at 03:43 (030356)

i had pf release and bone spur removal on 10/6/2000.....i am non-weight bearing for 5-6 weeks.....had a bottom of the foot incision...am having a new cast applied today and stitches will not be removed until november.....using crutches is the hardest part....the pain is not too bad....so far i am very pleased with the outcome and realize that i should not have waited so long for the surgery (i spent 2 years with conservative treatment and no relief)

Becky on 10/12/00 at 13:26 (030370)

Hi Ann, wow that sounds like about what I am going to have. What kind of work do you do? I hate the thought of crutches, and is your family helping out? I think that my crowd will be sick and tired of me in 5-6 weeks. Hope that everything went well at the doctor today, What kind of cast did you have? I wonder what the difference is with some people having casts and some bandages. Talk with you soon.

dianej on 10/19/00 at 04:40 (030816)

i had spur and some bone removed from navicular area, half cast for some weeks, crutches, but needed at least six months for full recovery, i found walking in water in swimming pool best, gentle exercise, had good relief for 12 months then needed same done again, with good relief for approx 2 years, now need more extensive surgery, foot collapsed,

Samantha on 10/23/00 at 14:53 (031078)

Hi Sharon, Was just having a look at this message board to do some comparing to my recovery. I had EPF on September 21st and this past weekend (which was 4 weeks post-op) I played nine holes of golf. I have to admit I was in a small amount of pain by the 7th hole and took a pain pill to finish out but I made it. The most pain I feel now is in my arches and I still have a little puffiness between my arches and heels. I'm usually pretty stiff in the morning when I first get up but after I get moving it simmers down to a dule ache. What makes it ok is that is a completely different pain than before the surgery and it's much more easy to take than the pf pain.Plus the fact that I know it was get better and better as time goes on. I've been told that it takes close to a year to feel 100% but everyone is different. Good luck with your surgery. If you have any questions or need some words of encouragement feel free to e-mail me @ simlay@yahoo.com. I hardly ever get a chance to sign on to these message boards but I do check my mail daily. I hope all of my fellow sufferers are doing well.

Re: I am having surgery on Nov 6, 2000

marsha on 10/24/00 at 16:58 (031164)

Hi-
I am having surgery on November 6, 2000. Apparently the minimally invasive surgery is not for me. I am very frightened of the pain that I hear I will having. He wants me up 3 days after surgery putting weight on it. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect.

Thanks,
marsha

Chris j on 10/24/00 at 18:56 (031169)

I had surgery on 10/6/2000. I was walking on it the minute I left surgery. I walked on tip toes for a few days to go to the bathroom and then back to the couch. I was walking pretty good within a week. Would have had stiches out in two weeks but they where not healed enough will get them out on friday. Please feel free to email me if you want to know more. I am having very good success.
Chris

Barbara TX on 10/24/00 at 21:43 (031187)

Does your doctor say that MIS is not for you? Why? Did you have it and it failed already? I was told that I needed a full (all the way cut) fasciotomy. I had ESWT instead, because I felt the fear that you do. Have you thought about this option? Good luck and let us know how you do. B.

Marsha on 10/26/00 at 08:58 (031323)

Dear Chris J:

thanks so much for the encouraging words. Everything that I have heard so far (prior) to your email seemed very negative. I hope that my surgery is as sucessful as yours was.

Thanks again,
Marsha S

john h on 10/27/00 at 12:14 (031462)

many years ago they would totally cut the fascia loose from the heel. that often led to serious foot problems down the road. a full release does not seem to be what they do these days. i saw a guy who had a partial release (maybe 60-70%) and the whole side of his foot was caved in. i would think he is in for some big problems at some point.

DANA on 11/04/00 at 23:06 (031967)

Had EPF surgery on 10/20. The first day was the worst - took pain meds every 4 hours as suggested and sat with my foot up. Tip toed to the bathroom only for the first 4 days - drove my family crazy. The stitches (only 2) came out 6 days after surgery. At that time the doc pressed on my heel in the areas where I previously felt pain - there was none to my surprise. Still continued to favor my other leg when walking - walked on the ball of the injured foot for the second week following surgery. This created pain in my ankle and calf on the injured foot. It has now been 15 days since the surgery. I went to a couple of craft shows today. I still only wear tennis shoes with heel cup inserts in each shoe. It was recommended by my doc to try the orthotics which were made for me before the surgery. It still hurts a little to walk on my heel - I don't like the vibration feeling you get when you hit the pavement. The doc told me to concentrate on walking on my heel as this will 'help break up any remaining fibers in the heel'. To help the heeling process I also have been taking 1,000 mg of Vit. C and a 'One a Day' and I stretch my calf muscles alot during the day. Just have patience - I didn't at first - cried the 3rd night after surgery because I felt I was not progressing fast enough - felt I would never walk again normally. This takes time and everyone heels at a different rate. Best of luck with your surgery _ I hope it goes well for you. Let us know how you're doing

Re: Forgot to mentioned.. I got no crutches, no casts.. only regular bandages/dressing (eom)

Lisa on 10/03/00 at 15:20 (029696)

john h on 10/03/00 at 17:10 (029704)

lisa: what type of surgery did you have? open, closed, endoscope? any idea how much of the fascia was released? sounds like you are doing great.

Lisa on 10/03/00 at 19:56 (029718)

Endoscopic.. doctor mentioned taking off 1/3 of fascia. The numbness got me a bit worried, but its not a 'no-feel' numbness. I only know the spot is there when I look for it with my hand.. Otherwise it doesn't bother me. Are you contemplating surgery? Feel free to mail me if you wish.

Bruce on 10/04/00 at 02:34 (029735)

My dooctor may be consiidering surgery on my feet. What is EPF please?

Lisa on 10/04/00 at 08:12 (029751)

It involves the cutting of part of the fascia close to the spur to losen the tighness of it.

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 18:11 (029790)

An endoscope is a cammera that is run into the foot to visualize the fascia band as it is being cut. The band can be alternativly be released through a small ' stab' inscision with out the cammera. This is a lot less tramatic on the foot. Dr. B.

Becky Hamlin on 10/05/00 at 07:40 (029821)

Good morning, just ready your testimoy and it sounds great. I am having surgery, just on 1 foot the first week in November. I live in North Carolina, where do you live and who did your surgery?

john h on 10/08/00 at 20:06 (030063)

hi becky: i lived in murphy, n.c. (cherokee county) many years ago.

Becky on 10/11/00 at 09:34 (030273)

Hi the doctor has just scheduled my surgery for the 8th of Nov. I dont see him again until Oct. 30. So could you guys help out be telling me what to expect. And what are some good questions to ask him before I have the EPF done?

KellyD on 10/11/00 at 09:52 (030276)

Becky - check out the surgery patients database. I read through those before I had surgery - and it gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect - BUT don't be scared off! I've been posting my progress - and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have. The most important questions to ask prior to surgery is what your post-op instructions are so you're prepared. Time on your feet should be limited until the fascia heals (about 6 weeks max - with weeks 3-4 the most important) in order to avoid lateral destabilization. If your doctor doesn't require that (and amazingly, some don't), impose it on yourself. Many doctors now are also using immobilization for the 1st 3 weeks (although mine is doing the full 6 weeks) - so ask about that. But most important, I've had 2 previous foot surgeries, and in comparison, the EPF itself was a breeze. But it's what you do afterwards that will determine your success.

ann on 10/12/00 at 03:43 (030356)

i had pf release and bone spur removal on 10/6/2000.....i am non-weight bearing for 5-6 weeks.....had a bottom of the foot incision...am having a new cast applied today and stitches will not be removed until november.....using crutches is the hardest part....the pain is not too bad....so far i am very pleased with the outcome and realize that i should not have waited so long for the surgery (i spent 2 years with conservative treatment and no relief)

Becky on 10/12/00 at 13:26 (030370)

Hi Ann, wow that sounds like about what I am going to have. What kind of work do you do? I hate the thought of crutches, and is your family helping out? I think that my crowd will be sick and tired of me in 5-6 weeks. Hope that everything went well at the doctor today, What kind of cast did you have? I wonder what the difference is with some people having casts and some bandages. Talk with you soon.

dianej on 10/19/00 at 04:40 (030816)

i had spur and some bone removed from navicular area, half cast for some weeks, crutches, but needed at least six months for full recovery, i found walking in water in swimming pool best, gentle exercise, had good relief for 12 months then needed same done again, with good relief for approx 2 years, now need more extensive surgery, foot collapsed,

Samantha on 10/23/00 at 14:53 (031078)

Hi Sharon, Was just having a look at this message board to do some comparing to my recovery. I had EPF on September 21st and this past weekend (which was 4 weeks post-op) I played nine holes of golf. I have to admit I was in a small amount of pain by the 7th hole and took a pain pill to finish out but I made it. The most pain I feel now is in my arches and I still have a little puffiness between my arches and heels. I'm usually pretty stiff in the morning when I first get up but after I get moving it simmers down to a dule ache. What makes it ok is that is a completely different pain than before the surgery and it's much more easy to take than the pf pain.Plus the fact that I know it was get better and better as time goes on. I've been told that it takes close to a year to feel 100% but everyone is different. Good luck with your surgery. If you have any questions or need some words of encouragement feel free to e-mail me @ simlay@yahoo.com. I hardly ever get a chance to sign on to these message boards but I do check my mail daily. I hope all of my fellow sufferers are doing well.

marsha on 10/24/00 at 16:58 (031164)

Hi-
I am having surgery on November 6, 2000. Apparently the minimally invasive surgery is not for me. I am very frightened of the pain that I hear I will having. He wants me up 3 days after surgery putting weight on it. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect.

Thanks,
marsha

Chris j on 10/24/00 at 18:56 (031169)

I had surgery on 10/6/2000. I was walking on it the minute I left surgery. I walked on tip toes for a few days to go to the bathroom and then back to the couch. I was walking pretty good within a week. Would have had stiches out in two weeks but they where not healed enough will get them out on friday. Please feel free to email me if you want to know more. I am having very good success.
Chris

Barbara TX on 10/24/00 at 21:43 (031187)

Does your doctor say that MIS is not for you? Why? Did you have it and it failed already? I was told that I needed a full (all the way cut) fasciotomy. I had ESWT instead, because I felt the fear that you do. Have you thought about this option? Good luck and let us know how you do. B.

Marsha on 10/26/00 at 08:58 (031323)

Dear Chris J:

thanks so much for the encouraging words. Everything that I have heard so far (prior) to your email seemed very negative. I hope that my surgery is as sucessful as yours was.

Thanks again,
Marsha S

john h on 10/27/00 at 12:14 (031462)

many years ago they would totally cut the fascia loose from the heel. that often led to serious foot problems down the road. a full release does not seem to be what they do these days. i saw a guy who had a partial release (maybe 60-70%) and the whole side of his foot was caved in. i would think he is in for some big problems at some point.

DANA on 11/04/00 at 23:06 (031967)

Had EPF surgery on 10/20. The first day was the worst - took pain meds every 4 hours as suggested and sat with my foot up. Tip toed to the bathroom only for the first 4 days - drove my family crazy. The stitches (only 2) came out 6 days after surgery. At that time the doc pressed on my heel in the areas where I previously felt pain - there was none to my surprise. Still continued to favor my other leg when walking - walked on the ball of the injured foot for the second week following surgery. This created pain in my ankle and calf on the injured foot. It has now been 15 days since the surgery. I went to a couple of craft shows today. I still only wear tennis shoes with heel cup inserts in each shoe. It was recommended by my doc to try the orthotics which were made for me before the surgery. It still hurts a little to walk on my heel - I don't like the vibration feeling you get when you hit the pavement. The doc told me to concentrate on walking on my heel as this will 'help break up any remaining fibers in the heel'. To help the heeling process I also have been taking 1,000 mg of Vit. C and a 'One a Day' and I stretch my calf muscles alot during the day. Just have patience - I didn't at first - cried the 3rd night after surgery because I felt I was not progressing fast enough - felt I would never walk again normally. This takes time and everyone heels at a different rate. Best of luck with your surgery _ I hope it goes well for you. Let us know how you're doing