Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Subchondral cystic lesion in foot

Posted by Michelle Pollack on 10/03/00 at 15:21 (029697)

Dear Doctor,

I have had pain on the side of my foot after an ankle sprain this summer. After the pain subsided, I noticed that the bottom of my foot started to hurt and some of my toes were becoming numb after walking. I sell MRI's for a living and had an MRI done on a 1.5T magnet. The diagnosis just came back- I have a small degenerative subchondral cystic lesion in the subchondral marrow of the calcaneus along the posterior facet of the subtalar articulation. Yes, I am going to see an orthopedic surgeon. What is this and do I need surgery or can the cyst be aspirated? Can you shed some light on this condition? thank you very much!

Michelle Pollack, R.N.

Re: Subchondral cystic lesion in foot

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 06:20 (029742)

You need to wait untill you talk to the orthopedic surgen. After a sprain it is not uncommon to get a an osteochondral fracture that is classified according to Berndt Hardy, which may or may not be what you have. The treatment depends on the classification. There is a lot more involved to the interprtation of MRIs and x-rays than it seems. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/04/00 at 22:26 (029813)

An examination with the MRI is very important. It must be determined if the plantar heel pain is compenation from the subtalar lesion. Palpation and a range of motion examination will help to determine the correlation .

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 06:20 (029742)

You need to wait untill you talk to the orthopedic surgen. After a sprain it is not uncommon to get a an osteochondral fracture that is classified according to Berndt Hardy, which may or may not be what you have. The treatment depends on the classification. There is a lot more involved to the interprtation of MRIs and x-rays than it seems. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/04/00 at 22:26 (029813)

An examination with the MRI is very important. It must be determined if the plantar heel pain is compenation from the subtalar lesion. Palpation and a range of motion examination will help to determine the correlation .