Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs -vs- Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Bruce on 10/04/00 at 03:15 (029737)

Exactly what is/are the difference(s) between heel spurs and plantar fasciitis please? Are they the same or are they something different? Can't one have plantar fasciitis without having a spur?

Re: Heel Spurs -vs- Plantar Fasciitis

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 07:38 (029747)

In the begining when someone had heel pain and was x-rayed, alot of times they found a bony spur on the heel. They started calling it 'heel Spur' syndrome. After x-ray became more prevelent, it was found a lot of people have spurs on their heel which are not painful. They then started calling it plantar fasciitis in cases where they thought the pain originates from the over strain and tearing of the fascia. The spur can be a symbol of repeated chronic injurries to the fascia and the body rehealing itself. This process does not have to be painfull. Dr. B.

wendyn on 10/04/00 at 13:10 (029767)

I am a good example. I have had PF, I do have visible spurs - but no heel pain.

Kitty on 10/05/00 at 19:36 (029890)

Could you please tell me if you know if there is a volunteer case study on shockwave for people with cronic plantar fasciities?
I would like to partisapate. I am a 40 year old women who thinks
I might not be able to walk this time next year if I can not find something that works pretty soon. Thank you Kitty Please help....

Dr. Biehler on 10/05/00 at 20:59 (029899)

Click on ESWT at the top of this page. Scroll down to treatment location data base. This is where you will find the location of the machines. The ossatron machines are doing studies. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 07:38 (029747)

In the begining when someone had heel pain and was x-rayed, alot of times they found a bony spur on the heel. They started calling it 'heel Spur' syndrome. After x-ray became more prevelent, it was found a lot of people have spurs on their heel which are not painful. They then started calling it plantar fasciitis in cases where they thought the pain originates from the over strain and tearing of the fascia. The spur can be a symbol of repeated chronic injurries to the fascia and the body rehealing itself. This process does not have to be painfull. Dr. B.

wendyn on 10/04/00 at 13:10 (029767)

I am a good example. I have had PF, I do have visible spurs - but no heel pain.

Kitty on 10/05/00 at 19:36 (029890)

Could you please tell me if you know if there is a volunteer case study on shockwave for people with cronic plantar fasciities?
I would like to partisapate. I am a 40 year old women who thinks
I might not be able to walk this time next year if I can not find something that works pretty soon. Thank you Kitty Please help....

Dr. Biehler on 10/05/00 at 20:59 (029899)

Click on ESWT at the top of this page. Scroll down to treatment location data base. This is where you will find the location of the machines. The ossatron machines are doing studies. Dr. B.