Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Keeping weight off

Posted by Bob G. on 10/04/00 at 05:30 (029739)

One of the problems associated with PF is weight gain and staying in shape. What, with having to rest ten months to allow my heel to heal before I could begin a gradual exercise program, I had put on some unwanted pounds.

One of my discoveries was Soy. I have for the most part switched from meat and dairy products to soy products. I have found joy with soy; a veggie burger with veggie slices (pepper jack and swiss are some favorites) is tasty and satisfying. Plus, much less fat and no cholesterol.

My stomach has shrunk and I can finally get back into my summer clothes (now that it's October!!!). Hey, every little bit that helps...BG

Re: New Cook Book

Bob G. on 10/04/00 at 05:52 (029741)

I just bought a new cook book - Tofu Cookery, by Louise Hagler. It features dips and spreads, soups, salads, salad dressings and sauces (my favorite is ranch salad dressing), main dishes, side dishes, breads, cookies and bars, desserts, making tofu at home, and more.

Check it out at your favorite bookstore. The pictures will make you hungry (hehehe). Enjoy. BG

Re: Keeping weight off

Nancy S. on 10/04/00 at 08:00 (029749)

Joy with soy, Bob? Now there's a poetic concept to wake up to this morning!
The yeast-killing diet I went on lowered my sugar & other carb. intake, but not fatty proteins. Now I eat no sugar and keep the carbs low to medium, still eat some fatty protein, and have gone back to eating cheese. The weight has stayed off, and -- I wasn't sure what would happen with this -- but my cholesterol dropped a whopping 75+ points.
I know soy is good, though. I just haven't gotten into it. But whatever it takes, eh?
Nancy

Barbara TX on 10/04/00 at 10:02 (029759)

Nancy - Could you tell me what diet you followed (yeast killing diet)? I really need to shed some pounds too, and I'm hungry all of the time. I was warned that my anti-depressant may cause this. I figure that I can change the kinds of things I overeat! Maybe that will help. B.

Re: I'm so hungry

wendyn on 10/04/00 at 13:20 (029768)

All I have wanted to do for the last week is EAT. I have a healthy appetite to begin with but this is nuts, I am afraid to go near the scale and I haven't been to the gym all week.. I would suspect that it's the weather change. It's very nasty outside today - blowing snow and COLD. Low of -13 C tommorow. I don't know what that is for you Farenheit folks, but I assure you that it's not shorts weather. I think this is the hibrenation mode that kicks in when winter starts, sleep/eat/sleep/eat/sleep some more.

On the subject of sleep, I did not sleep well last night. I'm still having a lot of pain in the dorsal bunion I had operated on 8 years ago. It woke me completly up at 12:37 this morning, and then 2 or 3 times after that. It is better now but it was cramping and getting sharp pain in the night. I do not know why.

I do not want to have it operated on again any time soon. Bunion surgery is rather painful and slow healing.

If it's not one thing......

Beverly on 10/04/00 at 17:08 (029787)

I don't eat sugar or yeast (allergy).

My most successful diet I've tried is Weight Watchers. It's easy to stick with.

For a good yeast-free diet info, look at any healthfood store. I have several yeast-free cookbooks I've bought there.

I too need to loose weight. As I was sorting through my junk closet, I found letters my parents and grandmother wrote me as a kid at camp. In each letter, they say things like, 'We are worried you won't be eating.
You need to eat to have energy to keep up with the other kids. Are you eating, dear?'

Sad to say, I no longer have that problem. I wish I had the self-discipline I had at 16. I was a perfect size 6. That was many sizes ago.

Wendy, you look pretty trim from your photos. It looks like you could eat plenty without worrying.

Beverly

wendyn on 10/04/00 at 19:55 (029798)

I'm still well within normal range, but a lot bigger than I was a few years ago (I was too thin then though). Today I feel huge. Must be PMS. I also have a cold, and I'm having a bad hair day. I'm actually just in a really crappy mood in general, I think I will go to bed soon.

Thanks for caring though!

Nancy S. on 10/04/00 at 21:00 (029803)

Barbara, the strictest part of the yeast-killing diet eliminates carbohydrates esp. sugar, most dairy (butter and eggs are ok, according to most), and fermented products such as cheese and alcohol.
I searched the web on 'yeast-killing diet' and 'candida' and found tons of info., and went with a combo of principles that made the most sense to me and that were easy to follow (no counting or anything fussy for me!).
You know what? It was easy, and I was never hungry! I ate all the salads, turkey, chicken, burgers I wanted. I made some great stir-frys with all that stuff, using olive oil and lots of garlic. Lemon juice on salads. Used spices. All very simple, I'm not a kitchen person.
Actually, you can do a search on my name around Dec. 28 or 29 and thereafter for several weeks, during which I posted about how I was doing.
I stayed on the strictest diet for somewhere between 1.5 and 3 months. Somewhere in there I started adding back some things -- popcorn for a treat, potatoes once a week or so, and nuts, and soft cheeses, and I started having a martini to replace my longtime two glasses of wine (discovered sort of an allergy to wine, so I have it now only when out for dinner or when someone like JUDY S. comes to visit!).
I did this for general health reasons, but 30 pounds just fell off me along the way, and they have stayed off. I eat better now without even thinking about it and without ever feeling deprived. The only things I NEVER eat now are sugar and bread, but I feel so much better without them that any desire I occasionally feel lasts about 20 seconds.
Pretty short compared with how much better I feel the rest of the time.
Took a variety of supplements during the strict diet, and still take vit. C, acidophilus, and a good multi-vitamin.
I hope this helps you in some way; let me know if you'd like any more info.
Nancy

Bob G. on 10/04/00 at 22:53 (029814)

Well, I just bought some new clothes today. They fit perfect - so I will keep walkilng...

Barbara TX on 10/05/00 at 11:28 (029842)

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! I printed off your post, Nancy, and I'm going to try it. I need something like this that allows me to eat when I'm hungry and stabilizes my blood sugar at the same time. I am also doing Scott's vitamin C overload (6000 mg's a day, if I remember correctly). I had a really good day yesterday, and now today is bad again. Who can ever predict the course of this thing? Being on a diet will make me feel I'm accomlishing something real that won't go away in a day! B.

Nancy S. on 10/05/00 at 13:43 (029851)

You're welcome, Barbara. Are you going to check out some of the candida sites on the web? There's more you should know if you're going to plunge in to a strict phase of a yeast-killing diet. For example:
(1) The candida diet starves and kills off yeast overgrowth in the system. As the yeast dies off, toxins that it harbors are released into your system (which your body then gets rid of in a variety of ways). Some people go through a short period of feeling bad during this die-off, and I did, for about 4 days. You might feel nauseous, have cramps, etc. Lots of people don't, but I wanted to warn you so that you won't think you've developed some other ghastly thing if you experience this.
(2) Drink LOTS of water to help detoxify.
(3) In addition to the supplements I mentioned, take calcium and milk thistle extract while you're on the strict diet.
One web site about this diet is full of links with info. You might want to read up by going there. It's
http://candidapage.com
Good luck -- it does give a person a sense of accomplishment when not able to do much else!
Nancy

Barbara TX on 10/05/00 at 14:16 (029852)

Thanks again - it looks like a great site for a beginner. B.

john h on 10/05/00 at 18:31 (029879)

your day wendy sounds like my wife on her good days.

Re: Delicious Yeast-Free Breads

Beverly on 10/05/00 at 23:26 (029914)

I have been on a yeast-free diet for almost ten years. That's right, since 1992, not a drop of sugar or yeast have touched my lips.
I have become a real expert of finding yeast-free bread that taste good. Many of them are also wheat-free. My two favorite lines are: French Meadow and Pacific Bakery. Found in large health food stores. Small ones can special order them for you. One of the best is Cinnamon Raisin Spelt Bread by Pacific Bakery. French Meadow even makes yeast free/wheat free Bagels. There are many other lines. Some taste better than others. I eat wheat without a problem and so my favorite is French Meadows Sourdough Bread (Yeast-Free).

Beverly

Re: New Cook Book

Bob G. on 10/04/00 at 05:52 (029741)

I just bought a new cook book - Tofu Cookery, by Louise Hagler. It features dips and spreads, soups, salads, salad dressings and sauces (my favorite is ranch salad dressing), main dishes, side dishes, breads, cookies and bars, desserts, making tofu at home, and more.

Check it out at your favorite bookstore. The pictures will make you hungry (hehehe). Enjoy. BG

Nancy S. on 10/04/00 at 08:00 (029749)

Joy with soy, Bob? Now there's a poetic concept to wake up to this morning!
The yeast-killing diet I went on lowered my sugar & other carb. intake, but not fatty proteins. Now I eat no sugar and keep the carbs low to medium, still eat some fatty protein, and have gone back to eating cheese. The weight has stayed off, and -- I wasn't sure what would happen with this -- but my cholesterol dropped a whopping 75+ points.
I know soy is good, though. I just haven't gotten into it. But whatever it takes, eh?
Nancy

Barbara TX on 10/04/00 at 10:02 (029759)

Nancy - Could you tell me what diet you followed (yeast killing diet)? I really need to shed some pounds too, and I'm hungry all of the time. I was warned that my anti-depressant may cause this. I figure that I can change the kinds of things I overeat! Maybe that will help. B.

wendyn on 10/04/00 at 13:20 (029768)

All I have wanted to do for the last week is EAT. I have a healthy appetite to begin with but this is nuts, I am afraid to go near the scale and I haven't been to the gym all week.. I would suspect that it's the weather change. It's very nasty outside today - blowing snow and COLD. Low of -13 C tommorow. I don't know what that is for you Farenheit folks, but I assure you that it's not shorts weather. I think this is the hibrenation mode that kicks in when winter starts, sleep/eat/sleep/eat/sleep some more.

On the subject of sleep, I did not sleep well last night. I'm still having a lot of pain in the dorsal bunion I had operated on 8 years ago. It woke me completly up at 12:37 this morning, and then 2 or 3 times after that. It is better now but it was cramping and getting sharp pain in the night. I do not know why.

I do not want to have it operated on again any time soon. Bunion surgery is rather painful and slow healing.

If it's not one thing......

Beverly on 10/04/00 at 17:08 (029787)

I don't eat sugar or yeast (allergy).

My most successful diet I've tried is Weight Watchers. It's easy to stick with.

For a good yeast-free diet info, look at any healthfood store. I have several yeast-free cookbooks I've bought there.

I too need to loose weight. As I was sorting through my junk closet, I found letters my parents and grandmother wrote me as a kid at camp. In each letter, they say things like, 'We are worried you won't be eating.
You need to eat to have energy to keep up with the other kids. Are you eating, dear?'

Sad to say, I no longer have that problem. I wish I had the self-discipline I had at 16. I was a perfect size 6. That was many sizes ago.

Wendy, you look pretty trim from your photos. It looks like you could eat plenty without worrying.

Beverly

wendyn on 10/04/00 at 19:55 (029798)

I'm still well within normal range, but a lot bigger than I was a few years ago (I was too thin then though). Today I feel huge. Must be PMS. I also have a cold, and I'm having a bad hair day. I'm actually just in a really crappy mood in general, I think I will go to bed soon.

Thanks for caring though!

Nancy S. on 10/04/00 at 21:00 (029803)

Barbara, the strictest part of the yeast-killing diet eliminates carbohydrates esp. sugar, most dairy (butter and eggs are ok, according to most), and fermented products such as cheese and alcohol.
I searched the web on 'yeast-killing diet' and 'candida' and found tons of info., and went with a combo of principles that made the most sense to me and that were easy to follow (no counting or anything fussy for me!).
You know what? It was easy, and I was never hungry! I ate all the salads, turkey, chicken, burgers I wanted. I made some great stir-frys with all that stuff, using olive oil and lots of garlic. Lemon juice on salads. Used spices. All very simple, I'm not a kitchen person.
Actually, you can do a search on my name around Dec. 28 or 29 and thereafter for several weeks, during which I posted about how I was doing.
I stayed on the strictest diet for somewhere between 1.5 and 3 months. Somewhere in there I started adding back some things -- popcorn for a treat, potatoes once a week or so, and nuts, and soft cheeses, and I started having a martini to replace my longtime two glasses of wine (discovered sort of an allergy to wine, so I have it now only when out for dinner or when someone like JUDY S. comes to visit!).
I did this for general health reasons, but 30 pounds just fell off me along the way, and they have stayed off. I eat better now without even thinking about it and without ever feeling deprived. The only things I NEVER eat now are sugar and bread, but I feel so much better without them that any desire I occasionally feel lasts about 20 seconds.
Pretty short compared with how much better I feel the rest of the time.
Took a variety of supplements during the strict diet, and still take vit. C, acidophilus, and a good multi-vitamin.
I hope this helps you in some way; let me know if you'd like any more info.
Nancy

Bob G. on 10/04/00 at 22:53 (029814)

Well, I just bought some new clothes today. They fit perfect - so I will keep walkilng...

Barbara TX on 10/05/00 at 11:28 (029842)

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! I printed off your post, Nancy, and I'm going to try it. I need something like this that allows me to eat when I'm hungry and stabilizes my blood sugar at the same time. I am also doing Scott's vitamin C overload (6000 mg's a day, if I remember correctly). I had a really good day yesterday, and now today is bad again. Who can ever predict the course of this thing? Being on a diet will make me feel I'm accomlishing something real that won't go away in a day! B.

Nancy S. on 10/05/00 at 13:43 (029851)

You're welcome, Barbara. Are you going to check out some of the candida sites on the web? There's more you should know if you're going to plunge in to a strict phase of a yeast-killing diet. For example:
(1) The candida diet starves and kills off yeast overgrowth in the system. As the yeast dies off, toxins that it harbors are released into your system (which your body then gets rid of in a variety of ways). Some people go through a short period of feeling bad during this die-off, and I did, for about 4 days. You might feel nauseous, have cramps, etc. Lots of people don't, but I wanted to warn you so that you won't think you've developed some other ghastly thing if you experience this.
(2) Drink LOTS of water to help detoxify.
(3) In addition to the supplements I mentioned, take calcium and milk thistle extract while you're on the strict diet.
One web site about this diet is full of links with info. You might want to read up by going there. It's
http://candidapage.com
Good luck -- it does give a person a sense of accomplishment when not able to do much else!
Nancy

Barbara TX on 10/05/00 at 14:16 (029852)

Thanks again - it looks like a great site for a beginner. B.

john h on 10/05/00 at 18:31 (029879)

your day wendy sounds like my wife on her good days.

Re: Delicious Yeast-Free Breads

Beverly on 10/05/00 at 23:26 (029914)

I have been on a yeast-free diet for almost ten years. That's right, since 1992, not a drop of sugar or yeast have touched my lips.
I have become a real expert of finding yeast-free bread that taste good. Many of them are also wheat-free. My two favorite lines are: French Meadow and Pacific Bakery. Found in large health food stores. Small ones can special order them for you. One of the best is Cinnamon Raisin Spelt Bread by Pacific Bakery. French Meadow even makes yeast free/wheat free Bagels. There are many other lines. Some taste better than others. I eat wheat without a problem and so my favorite is French Meadows Sourdough Bread (Yeast-Free).

Beverly