Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ankle-foot pain

Posted by kervin k on 10/04/00 at 11:34 (029762)

what is OS (osteo) vanicalaris?
my podiatrist told me i have a fracture on the inside of my left foot which never healed properly.
i have had daily/weekly pain in my left foot for over 2 years now. i have tried 6 different custom orthotics w/mixed results.

thank you,

kervin

Re: osteo-navicularis

kervin k on 10/04/00 at 11:57 (029763)

it seems i did not decipher my podiatrists writting properly...
what are my options if i have had swelling for 2 years from:
1. PF
2. Navicularis
3. TPD=Tibialis Posterior Tendon Dysfunction
4. Tendinitis

thank you,

kervin

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 16:58 (029786)

If you have all four at the same time, you are in quite some shape. The first thing to do is read Scott's book that he has on line. This should answer alot of the basic questions. If you then have specific questions we will be happy to try and give you some useful answers. Dr. B.

Kervin on 10/05/00 at 12:42 (029847)

I read Scott's book a year ago and took his advice: PT, stretching, NSAID, natural drugs, gave up running,etc. only swim now, massage, taping and orthotics. I am presently wearing a semi rigid orthotic which supports me but the pain/swelling remains.
PF symptoms lasted from 1/98-11/98 and rigid orthotics helped, it has not returned. But while I wore the rigid orthotics I got all kinds of other problems in my ankle,back,etc. Now I have been told I have the following:
1. Fracture of the accessory navicular from the ossicle (recomended surgery)
2. TPD=Tibialis Posterior Tendon Dysfunction (due to 1)
3. Tendinitis

Does surgery for 1. have a successful track record. Where can I find any resources and data for 1 and 2?

Thank you,

Kervin

Dr. Biehler on 10/05/00 at 13:24 (029850)

The surgery for number one is called the Kidner procedure. It is possible to avoid this by using the ESWT. If you have posterior tibila disfunction, you have a collapsed arch and of course tendonitis comes with all of this. If the arch is collapsed you can have surgery to repair the posterior tibial tendon and then you will need orthotics for support and to take strain off the tendon. You have to be careful not to over correct with orthotics as the body adjusts or tries to adjust to its circumstances. D. B.

Re: estw

kervin on 10/05/00 at 14:19 (029853)

hello,

thank you for all the advice. i live in southern california and am wondering where the best place is to get estw? i saw one in la and up in vancouver. where have they had the most experience,training,etc.
will estw help w/posterior tibila disfunction?

thank you,

kck

Dr. Biehler on 10/05/00 at 17:27 (029859)

ESWT is not going to help with the posterior tibial dysfunction, if that is what you have. It can help with the healing of the bone where the tendon inserts. Dr. B.

kervin k on 10/04/00 at 11:57 (029763)

it seems i did not decipher my podiatrists writting properly...
what are my options if i have had swelling for 2 years from:
1. PF
2. Navicularis
3. TPD=Tibialis Posterior Tendon Dysfunction
4. Tendinitis

thank you,

kervin

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 16:58 (029786)

If you have all four at the same time, you are in quite some shape. The first thing to do is read Scott's book that he has on line. This should answer alot of the basic questions. If you then have specific questions we will be happy to try and give you some useful answers. Dr. B.

Kervin on 10/05/00 at 12:42 (029847)

I read Scott's book a year ago and took his advice: PT, stretching, NSAID, natural drugs, gave up running,etc. only swim now, massage, taping and orthotics. I am presently wearing a semi rigid orthotic which supports me but the pain/swelling remains.
PF symptoms lasted from 1/98-11/98 and rigid orthotics helped, it has not returned. But while I wore the rigid orthotics I got all kinds of other problems in my ankle,back,etc. Now I have been told I have the following:
1. Fracture of the accessory navicular from the ossicle (recomended surgery)
2. TPD=Tibialis Posterior Tendon Dysfunction (due to 1)
3. Tendinitis

Does surgery for 1. have a successful track record. Where can I find any resources and data for 1 and 2?

Thank you,

Kervin

Dr. Biehler on 10/05/00 at 13:24 (029850)

The surgery for number one is called the Kidner procedure. It is possible to avoid this by using the ESWT. If you have posterior tibila disfunction, you have a collapsed arch and of course tendonitis comes with all of this. If the arch is collapsed you can have surgery to repair the posterior tibial tendon and then you will need orthotics for support and to take strain off the tendon. You have to be careful not to over correct with orthotics as the body adjusts or tries to adjust to its circumstances. D. B.

kervin on 10/05/00 at 14:19 (029853)

hello,

thank you for all the advice. i live in southern california and am wondering where the best place is to get estw? i saw one in la and up in vancouver. where have they had the most experience,training,etc.
will estw help w/posterior tibila disfunction?

thank you,

kck

Dr. Biehler on 10/05/00 at 17:27 (029859)

ESWT is not going to help with the posterior tibial dysfunction, if that is what you have. It can help with the healing of the bone where the tendon inserts. Dr. B.