Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and HAGLUND'S DEFORMITY SURGERY

Posted by Bruce H. in Illinois on 10/04/00 at 21:04 (029804)

I started out with shin splints 12 years ago and have had orthotics since then. In May of this year I developed PF in both feet and a couple months ago Haglund's deformity has developed very painfully. If new type of orthotics don't help PF, my doctor would like to do EPF on both feet AND shave Haglund's deformity on both heels as well. Has anyone else had both surgeries done?

Re: PF and HAGLUND'S DEFORMITY SURGERY

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/04/00 at 22:20 (029812)

A true haglunds deformity is due to mal-position and or rotation of the calcaneus. I would like for you to review Scott book (online) and take a look at some of the treatment plans. I am sure you will find something you have missed by reading his book. Any specific question just ask me.

Bruce H. in Illinois on 10/20/00 at 00:04 (030886)

Dr. Zuckerman,
I have read the Scott book and am leaning now towards giving intensive conventional therapy more time to work on the PF issue. Footmaxx orthotics should be arriving any day. My Haglund's continue to increase in size and pain. Since these bumps are so big and painful, I am doubtful I would be satisfied with any relief conventional therapy could bring to that problem. It seems to me there has just been too much distortion to the bone. I want relief now! Additionally, there is an insurance concern, as my employer is pulling the plug on our HMO effective 1/1/2001. Unless there is some significant change before then, I plan on going ahead with the Haglund's surgery on both heels 11/30/2000.
Does this sound unreasonable? Can you describe what actually occurs during the surgery, and what I should do for recovery afterwards? Casts, weight-bearing, etc.?

Thanks for responding.

Bruce

margaret unger on 10/22/00 at 16:46 (031030)

Bruce, I am having surgery on my Haglunds in early November. My orthopaedic surgeon will not do both feet at the same time. (I am also having a bunion removed in same surgery, so maybe that's why I can't do it all at once) Anyway, he said about 3 days totally off my feet, then depending on my feet, a few weeks on crutches, then a walking 'shoe' but most likely no cast. I am 30 years old and female, and have bunions all my life (had one removed at age 15) and have had these 'pump bumps' for as long as I can remember. Therefore I am always amazed when the Haglunds is blamed on heels or shoes - because of the bunions, I have never been able to wear heels and have always worn orthopaedic-type shoes. Anyway, just wanted to throw in my two cents. Good luck with your surgery!

Bruce on 10/31/00 at 22:09 (031736)

Margaret,
When is your surgery? Did the surgical option come about because the Haglund's has gotten worse, or because you found someone willing to do something about it? Hope all goes well and please keep me informed.

Jennifer on 12/01/00 at 15:52 (033997)

Bruce,
I had the Haglund's surgery at the end of August. I would NOT reccomend doing both feet at the same time. The procedure went pretty smoothly, and my recovery time went by quickly, but looking back I could not do it if I had both feet out. I live in a city, so getting around was quite difficult on crutches with one good foot. I can't imagine it with two injured ones!

As far as the success of the surgery, I tried all the conventional methods first (orthodics, different shoes, cortisone shots) and they just go worse. Now that I'm on the road to being healed, my foot feels great. I've started wearning normal shoes (ones that have backs on them as opposed to slippers...) and I can't believe how much pain I had endured before. My other foot has the same condition, and now that one has been treated the difference is amazing. I'm curious to know how your's turns out, good luck!

chris on 12/02/00 at 00:15 (034024)

I had HD surgery at age 18, I am now nearly 27. I too would not recommend having both done at the same time. While the pain relief was welcomed, I still find I haven't got the same range of motion that I had before.

It was nice to find some information on this condition as I am finding my other foot, after working retail for some time, is gradually getting worse.

Good luck everyone

Sue on 12/05/00 at 13:48 (034219)

I had Haglund's Deformity Surgery on September 12th. I am a runner and although my Doctor says that my recovery is going well, I have to admit that I thought that I'd be running more by now. I first tried to run after ten weeks but once I got up to 1 1/2 miles, the heel become so sore, I stopped. I started back again this week with a mile at a time and that has gone well so far. Are there any other runners who have had this surgery? I am wondering how long it will take me to get back into REAL training (6-7 miles a day like I used to do). I had two incisions so the Doctor could get to all of it and my achilles was cleaned out and anchored.

Good luck to anyone with this injury. It is not fun! I am very glad to finally be walking somewhat normally after walking with a limp for six months!

Sue

mb on 12/08/00 at 05:06 (034470)

I had the HD surgery on 12/05/00. I had struggled with increasing heal pain for 3-4 years and finally reached the point of being unable to enjoy the basic things like walking around the house. I had a large chunk of bone removed and a lot of bursitis scraped out. I did it with a spinal block instead of general anesthesia and I highly recommend it. I'll take about 4 days off, but could have gone in the next day. I'm in a cast and on crutches for at least 2 weeks and then will likely go to a boot. I was told to expect a 3 month rehab period. I was pleased to read the encouraging words about the success of the surgery and I am anxiously awaiting a pain-free walk.

mb

Bruce on 12/09/00 at 20:01 (034566)

Wow!!! Thanks for responding, everyone! I don't feel quite so alone in this. Some of you recommended NOT having both heels done at the same time. Do these circumstances make any difference in your assessments?

1. I plan on taking atleast two full weeks off of work, at a minimum.

2. I drive seven minutes to work, straight shot down the road.

3. I'm an accountant, so it's not like I'm on my feet ALOT during the day.

4. I won't have to take stairs anywhere.

5. Being winter, I won't be chasing the kids around outside!

6. Apparently, my achilles are not involved; should be just a straight resection of the growth (atleast that's what doc says). I wonder: anyone have that reassurance and then have doc find out otherwise once they got in there?

7. Our new insurance carrier (effective 1/1/2001) has a serious reputation for being cheap and difficult. Don't know they won't approve, but they might not. This is also a monetary and 'insurance hassle' decision.

Granted, I'm NOT looking forward to the post-surgery pain and difficulty, but do I really want to go through that TWICE? If I wait on the left heel, it would be no sooner than April before I could get to it due to busy season at work.

Time is 'running' short! Surgery is this coming Thursday A.M. Does any of this soften your opinions?

Thanks, everybody.

Bruce

Julie F on 12/10/00 at 01:02 (034577)

Bruce, if I were in your shoes I would want to know what Drs Z and B think about having surgery on both feet at the same time. This thread is now so old that they may miss it so why don't you post a new question on this board or the Doctors' board?

If I read your first message correctly you are considering TWO surgeries (EPF and the Haglunds op) on each of your two feet. I haven't had either surgery on either foot, so I can't speak from experience, but that sounds like an awful lot of surgery to me!

You still have to get to your car! And carry out all kinds of normal activities which I'd have thought would be difficult enough with one foot out of action. This worries me - please check in with the Drs before you bite the bullet on Thursday.

All the best, Julie

mb on 12/12/00 at 05:41 (034741)

Bruce,

After my surgery on 12/5, I was instructed to put NO weight on my foot. I'll be like that for at least another week. With both feet done, it seems as though you'd have to be in a wheel chair. And driving would be out of the question even for seven blocks. It also seems to me that the rehab will be greatly slowed because you will not be as able to gradually go back to weight on one foot while being supported by the other. So in the long run, you may prolong your recovery more than having two separate surgeries. I personally would be concerned that I would risk not being able to get back to 100%. Before my surgery I joked with my surgeon about a two-for-one deal since I figure it's just a matter of time for my other heal. He commented that he wouldn't do it since I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I don't know how bad your feet are or what your finances are, but I would never want to do both at once - just my opinion. It's hard enough to get around with one good leg.

Good luck with your decision.

mb

Re: Julie: Thx for strong warning

Bruce on 12/13/00 at 15:22 (034862)

Julie,

Actually Dr. Z did respond on another thread when I was considering both cuts. He said both feet would be, quote, 'terrible'. I think it was Sat. or Sun. I gave more thought to it and decided both feet would be unwise. You may noted a more recent thread indicating that now even the one foot has been put on hold until late March.

Thanks for caring enough to express the seriousness of your concern -- I now agree -- with you all. That's one of the things I think is great about this site -- not only a source of information, but also a 'community' of people who express genuine concern for one another's individual situations. Maybe I'm naive, but I think this is great! Guess who's relatively new to message boards?

Julie F on 12/13/00 at 16:38 (034867)

Hi Bruce

Iwas very glad to learn you'd decided against bilateral surgery and I'm sure you will be too! And though I'm sorry for your migraine-induced complications, I think the body often has its own ways of steering us away from decisions that might cause us harm!

Take it easy, now, and enjoy Christmas, and I hope your uni-lateral surgery. when it comes, gives you plentiful relief.

All the best, Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/04/00 at 22:20 (029812)

A true haglunds deformity is due to mal-position and or rotation of the calcaneus. I would like for you to review Scott book (online) and take a look at some of the treatment plans. I am sure you will find something you have missed by reading his book. Any specific question just ask me.

Bruce H. in Illinois on 10/20/00 at 00:04 (030886)

Dr. Zuckerman,
I have read the Scott book and am leaning now towards giving intensive conventional therapy more time to work on the PF issue. Footmaxx orthotics should be arriving any day. My Haglund's continue to increase in size and pain. Since these bumps are so big and painful, I am doubtful I would be satisfied with any relief conventional therapy could bring to that problem. It seems to me there has just been too much distortion to the bone. I want relief now! Additionally, there is an insurance concern, as my employer is pulling the plug on our HMO effective 1/1/2001. Unless there is some significant change before then, I plan on going ahead with the Haglund's surgery on both heels 11/30/2000.
Does this sound unreasonable? Can you describe what actually occurs during the surgery, and what I should do for recovery afterwards? Casts, weight-bearing, etc.?

Thanks for responding.

Bruce

margaret unger on 10/22/00 at 16:46 (031030)

Bruce, I am having surgery on my Haglunds in early November. My orthopaedic surgeon will not do both feet at the same time. (I am also having a bunion removed in same surgery, so maybe that's why I can't do it all at once) Anyway, he said about 3 days totally off my feet, then depending on my feet, a few weeks on crutches, then a walking 'shoe' but most likely no cast. I am 30 years old and female, and have bunions all my life (had one removed at age 15) and have had these 'pump bumps' for as long as I can remember. Therefore I am always amazed when the Haglunds is blamed on heels or shoes - because of the bunions, I have never been able to wear heels and have always worn orthopaedic-type shoes. Anyway, just wanted to throw in my two cents. Good luck with your surgery!

Bruce on 10/31/00 at 22:09 (031736)

Margaret,
When is your surgery? Did the surgical option come about because the Haglund's has gotten worse, or because you found someone willing to do something about it? Hope all goes well and please keep me informed.

Jennifer on 12/01/00 at 15:52 (033997)

Bruce,
I had the Haglund's surgery at the end of August. I would NOT reccomend doing both feet at the same time. The procedure went pretty smoothly, and my recovery time went by quickly, but looking back I could not do it if I had both feet out. I live in a city, so getting around was quite difficult on crutches with one good foot. I can't imagine it with two injured ones!

As far as the success of the surgery, I tried all the conventional methods first (orthodics, different shoes, cortisone shots) and they just go worse. Now that I'm on the road to being healed, my foot feels great. I've started wearning normal shoes (ones that have backs on them as opposed to slippers...) and I can't believe how much pain I had endured before. My other foot has the same condition, and now that one has been treated the difference is amazing. I'm curious to know how your's turns out, good luck!

chris on 12/02/00 at 00:15 (034024)

I had HD surgery at age 18, I am now nearly 27. I too would not recommend having both done at the same time. While the pain relief was welcomed, I still find I haven't got the same range of motion that I had before.

It was nice to find some information on this condition as I am finding my other foot, after working retail for some time, is gradually getting worse.

Good luck everyone

Sue on 12/05/00 at 13:48 (034219)

I had Haglund's Deformity Surgery on September 12th. I am a runner and although my Doctor says that my recovery is going well, I have to admit that I thought that I'd be running more by now. I first tried to run after ten weeks but once I got up to 1 1/2 miles, the heel become so sore, I stopped. I started back again this week with a mile at a time and that has gone well so far. Are there any other runners who have had this surgery? I am wondering how long it will take me to get back into REAL training (6-7 miles a day like I used to do). I had two incisions so the Doctor could get to all of it and my achilles was cleaned out and anchored.

Good luck to anyone with this injury. It is not fun! I am very glad to finally be walking somewhat normally after walking with a limp for six months!

Sue

mb on 12/08/00 at 05:06 (034470)

I had the HD surgery on 12/05/00. I had struggled with increasing heal pain for 3-4 years and finally reached the point of being unable to enjoy the basic things like walking around the house. I had a large chunk of bone removed and a lot of bursitis scraped out. I did it with a spinal block instead of general anesthesia and I highly recommend it. I'll take about 4 days off, but could have gone in the next day. I'm in a cast and on crutches for at least 2 weeks and then will likely go to a boot. I was told to expect a 3 month rehab period. I was pleased to read the encouraging words about the success of the surgery and I am anxiously awaiting a pain-free walk.

mb

Bruce on 12/09/00 at 20:01 (034566)

Wow!!! Thanks for responding, everyone! I don't feel quite so alone in this. Some of you recommended NOT having both heels done at the same time. Do these circumstances make any difference in your assessments?

1. I plan on taking atleast two full weeks off of work, at a minimum.

2. I drive seven minutes to work, straight shot down the road.

3. I'm an accountant, so it's not like I'm on my feet ALOT during the day.

4. I won't have to take stairs anywhere.

5. Being winter, I won't be chasing the kids around outside!

6. Apparently, my achilles are not involved; should be just a straight resection of the growth (atleast that's what doc says). I wonder: anyone have that reassurance and then have doc find out otherwise once they got in there?

7. Our new insurance carrier (effective 1/1/2001) has a serious reputation for being cheap and difficult. Don't know they won't approve, but they might not. This is also a monetary and 'insurance hassle' decision.

Granted, I'm NOT looking forward to the post-surgery pain and difficulty, but do I really want to go through that TWICE? If I wait on the left heel, it would be no sooner than April before I could get to it due to busy season at work.

Time is 'running' short! Surgery is this coming Thursday A.M. Does any of this soften your opinions?

Thanks, everybody.

Bruce

Julie F on 12/10/00 at 01:02 (034577)

Bruce, if I were in your shoes I would want to know what Drs Z and B think about having surgery on both feet at the same time. This thread is now so old that they may miss it so why don't you post a new question on this board or the Doctors' board?

If I read your first message correctly you are considering TWO surgeries (EPF and the Haglunds op) on each of your two feet. I haven't had either surgery on either foot, so I can't speak from experience, but that sounds like an awful lot of surgery to me!

You still have to get to your car! And carry out all kinds of normal activities which I'd have thought would be difficult enough with one foot out of action. This worries me - please check in with the Drs before you bite the bullet on Thursday.

All the best, Julie

mb on 12/12/00 at 05:41 (034741)

Bruce,

After my surgery on 12/5, I was instructed to put NO weight on my foot. I'll be like that for at least another week. With both feet done, it seems as though you'd have to be in a wheel chair. And driving would be out of the question even for seven blocks. It also seems to me that the rehab will be greatly slowed because you will not be as able to gradually go back to weight on one foot while being supported by the other. So in the long run, you may prolong your recovery more than having two separate surgeries. I personally would be concerned that I would risk not being able to get back to 100%. Before my surgery I joked with my surgeon about a two-for-one deal since I figure it's just a matter of time for my other heal. He commented that he wouldn't do it since I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I don't know how bad your feet are or what your finances are, but I would never want to do both at once - just my opinion. It's hard enough to get around with one good leg.

Good luck with your decision.

mb

Bruce on 12/13/00 at 15:22 (034862)

Julie,

Actually Dr. Z did respond on another thread when I was considering both cuts. He said both feet would be, quote, 'terrible'. I think it was Sat. or Sun. I gave more thought to it and decided both feet would be unwise. You may noted a more recent thread indicating that now even the one foot has been put on hold until late March.

Thanks for caring enough to express the seriousness of your concern -- I now agree -- with you all. That's one of the things I think is great about this site -- not only a source of information, but also a 'community' of people who express genuine concern for one another's individual situations. Maybe I'm naive, but I think this is great! Guess who's relatively new to message boards?

Julie F on 12/13/00 at 16:38 (034867)

Hi Bruce

Iwas very glad to learn you'd decided against bilateral surgery and I'm sure you will be too! And though I'm sorry for your migraine-induced complications, I think the body often has its own ways of steering us away from decisions that might cause us harm!

Take it easy, now, and enjoy Christmas, and I hope your uni-lateral surgery. when it comes, gives you plentiful relief.

All the best, Julie