Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel bone spur

Posted by David Y on 10/04/00 at 22:00 (029806)

All of a sudden this past February I developed extreme tenderness in my right heel with less pain in my left heel. After several months I visited my family doctor and he had my foot x-rayed. He told me that I had bone spurs in my heel. After that, I just sort of lived with the pain. For the past several months, the pain is increasing and has shifted mostly from my right foot to my left foot. I almost always start walking with a slight limp (although at times I do walk normally with some pain) and I know its getting serious. I can only walk for about 5 minutes before the pain becomes too much for me to continue (or my right calf muscle becomes so tight that I have to give it time to relax). When I wake in the morning or have been seated for periods of time, the first time I get up the pain is so bad that I have to just stand there for a few seconds just to make sure that I don't fall. I have severe flat feet along with this new pain with my heels, I have noticed that when I walk there is pain in my left achiles tendon and my right calf muscle becomes overworked and gets very hard (as if I had just gotten done working out). I know that my right foot is compensating for the pain in my left heel.
I need some suggestions and am very scared of the potential of surgery so I haven't visited an orthopedic doctor yet. I know, I'm stupid but I'm nervous about what the doctor will say. Please give me some advice.

Re: Heel bone spur

wendyn on 10/04/00 at 22:15 (029808)

David, I'm not a doctor but you've come to the right place. I'm sure one of the doctors will give you some good info soon.

You sound like you have a classic case of PF, and no - it does NOT mean you are headed for inevitable surgery. There are all kinds of conservative measure that must be tried before most doctors will even consider surgery.

Please make sure you go to the home page and go to where Scott's online 'Book' of PF is.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/04/00 at 22:16 (029809)

This is a great web site for heel spur surgery prvention. Read Scott's
book for this conditon. Eary treatment is the cure for heel spur pain. Don't worry with now have ESWT shockwave treatment which help's to avoid heel spur surgery. Now start to read Scott book.

Dr. Zuckeman on 10/04/00 at 22:18 (029810)

You must of read my mind Dr. Wendyn. David now knows he has a great support system .

David Y on 10/04/00 at 22:19 (029811)

I forgot to mention that my arches are hurting more than ever before and that I walk much slower than I ever have. I simply can't keep up when I walk with anyone. Its like my foot speed is stuck on slow. I am 44 years old and about 20 pounds overweight. Plus I recall that my doctor told me years ago that I had a different type of flat foot. My feet are normal when I lie down but as soon as I stand on them, my ankles sort of buckle outwards and this causes my feet to go flat.

Dr. Biehler on 10/05/00 at 06:08 (029819)

It sounds like you have a biomechanical problem that has reached a point where something needs to be done about it. As the pain gets worse the body and muscles try to compensate and other areas start to hurt. Be careful that in your initial treatment the biomechanical problem is not over corrected for. If you have had flat feet for years your whole body has acommodated to this and only slight adjustments can be toerated. Dr. B.

wendyn on 10/04/00 at 22:15 (029808)

David, I'm not a doctor but you've come to the right place. I'm sure one of the doctors will give you some good info soon.

You sound like you have a classic case of PF, and no - it does NOT mean you are headed for inevitable surgery. There are all kinds of conservative measure that must be tried before most doctors will even consider surgery.

Please make sure you go to the home page and go to where Scott's online 'Book' of PF is.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/04/00 at 22:16 (029809)

This is a great web site for heel spur surgery prvention. Read Scott's
book for this conditon. Eary treatment is the cure for heel spur pain. Don't worry with now have ESWT shockwave treatment which help's to avoid heel spur surgery. Now start to read Scott book.

Dr. Zuckeman on 10/04/00 at 22:18 (029810)

You must of read my mind Dr. Wendyn. David now knows he has a great support system .

David Y on 10/04/00 at 22:19 (029811)

I forgot to mention that my arches are hurting more than ever before and that I walk much slower than I ever have. I simply can't keep up when I walk with anyone. Its like my foot speed is stuck on slow. I am 44 years old and about 20 pounds overweight. Plus I recall that my doctor told me years ago that I had a different type of flat foot. My feet are normal when I lie down but as soon as I stand on them, my ankles sort of buckle outwards and this causes my feet to go flat.

Dr. Biehler on 10/05/00 at 06:08 (029819)

It sounds like you have a biomechanical problem that has reached a point where something needs to be done about it. As the pain gets worse the body and muscles try to compensate and other areas start to hurt. Be careful that in your initial treatment the biomechanical problem is not over corrected for. If you have had flat feet for years your whole body has acommodated to this and only slight adjustments can be toerated. Dr. B.