Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hello and update from Kim B. (Long, so sorry.)

Posted by Kim B. on 10/04/00 at 22:08 (029807)

Hello Friends!

What all have I missed? I am so far behind on posts and new info, I'll never catch up. What is this Dr. Huey stuff? Mike W. went to charm school? Does Alan still hate my guts? Thanks for the pictures Steph, they're great! Nancy S, you miss me, don't you? (Did your grits turn out Ok?) John H., I understand what you mean, regarding reporting progress and then it blows it, btw. It's weird. Still, try to keep us posted on your progress, best you can without jinxing yourself! I am very curious how the ESWT works out for a long time PF sufferer.

Wendyn and Sue R. did check in on me, I gave them the short version of my neck/shoulder spasms story. It's so boring. Basically, my left arm, neck and face spassed so badly, maybe because of my Fibromyalgia (FM), I had to make another trip to the ER last Friday. I simply couldn't move much at all. This time, the ER doc treated me with a big Demerol shot to 'hold me over' until I could get to my FM doctor the following Monday. The shot helped a lot, and the left side spasms settled down, but my neck and shoulders, in general, are still very kinked up. My Internist/MD suspects it is anxiety/stressed/over-use induced, so I've really got to mellow out, and/or spend a lot less time on the computer. Both of which is can be difficult for me. For example, my son is a ring bearer in a wedding this weekend, kind of far away, so, again, I'll be burning the candle at both ends.

My doc ordered a neck MRI several weeks ago, but I can't seem to schedule it to save my life, (pun intended, btw.) Childcare issues, plus, our portion is 20% i.e. $200, so I keep finding ways to blow it off, then, I regret it because the doc doesn't have the info he needs to properly help me with neck situation, which is getting VERY old. My FM problems 'typically' tend to move around, and come and go. This neck thing has been pretty constant the past few months now. Anyway, I'll get passed the wedding… and then…we'll see. I tend to wish that it is an order for an MRI of my FEET too, but no such luck at the moment. I have so many 'layers' of things that are messed up, I can't figure out which end to get resolved first! FEET or NECK? Oh well…

A few weeks ago, I had started working with a chiropractor. (Remember, I started with him soon after my 'PT from hell' experience.) At first things felt better, but then things went downhill fast. Not sure what, if anything, the chiropractic adjustments had to do with it. Such a mystery. La-ti-daa, La-ti-daa.

Not surprisingly, my feet WERE feeling a bit better ‘cause I had really been laying down a lot. But now, since my neck is better, I've starting doing more around here, and the foot pain is lurking again.

I still think the 'calf step stretch' is a good calf stretcher, if you don't overdo it. Rest helps a lot too, but that is not a long term solution for my PF. I have a life to live! Somehow, some way, I will get back to it. In the mean time, my neck and arms have to be nursed a lot. I 'ice' both my neck and my feet a times. It's a pitiful sight! So, again, if I'm not around here as much, it's cause, I have to limit my time on the computer.

Thanks so much for your caring and concern. I appreciate you guys more than I can say. This board has been very helpful in my efforts to deal with the PF problems. I do read when I have a chance, I just can't post as much as before. You guys crack me up! Thanks for the grins. Regards from Kim B.

Re: Hello and update from Kim B. (Long, so sorry.)

Nancy S. on 10/04/00 at 23:07 (029816)

Welcome back, Kim! You keep taking these long trips away from the board, and I'm getting suspicious. Are you on Easter Island or what?
You're right, I have missed you, and I want to know how you guessed.
So you ice feet and neck at the same time? If so, you must post a pic of this to the pic gallery. I'm going to get one on there of my feet in gold socks and hikers. I hope this doesn't outdo you -- perhaps you'd better wear your crown again.
Sounds like you've had a lousy time -- I hope things improve for you immediately.
Nancy

JudyS on 10/05/00 at 01:25 (029818)

Hi Kim - I was so glad to see your name attached to a post! It's been way too long and we really need you around here! However, having read your post, me suspects you need us too. Why, you wonder? Because we have to tell you to quit doing the candle-at-both-ends thing! Wow - and I think just PF slows me down! You act just like a woman.....
As I was reading I was trying to figure out how to get you in hand (literally) AND how to magically produce the $200 for you to get that MRI. That's a bunch of dough but gosh darn it girl, you need it and you're worth it! Remember them thar foot problems of yours? 'member how we've learned to take care of them right away? Sell your blood to Count Dracula (tis the season..)if you have to but go get that MRI so you can at least start to approach your sore neck problem. Any tiny bit of a sense of control is worth millions. Besides, the selfish me would like to see your name in lights here more often.

alan k on 10/05/00 at 08:18 (029824)

Dear Kim,

I am sure you have very nice guts. If our guts knew eachother in person in person I am sure they would like each other very much.

You also have a pretty smile.

alan

Re: Back at ya

Kim B. on 10/05/00 at 08:30 (029826)

Nancy, How 'bout them grits??

Judy, quit worrying. We can put together our portion of the MRI fee, even though I think $200 is a lot, it just that since my doc suspects that it is anxiety/repetitive use type of strain, I am in no hurry to waste $200 on my neck just to prove him right? Understand?

You're so sweet to worry, but we spend so much on my medical bills every year, so it's not that we aren't willing, I just try to put the money in the direction that it will do the most good. Difficult to explain. The scheduling is a big deal too. My husband had to take off of work the other day to help me out AND I had to have my Mother come over to care for my child, which interrupted her Arkansas vacation (go HOGS!!), so now, I feel like one big, expensive, pain in the butt, drain on everyone. I'll get over it, cause I know I didn't plan it or cause it on purpose. Hince, the part about I have to modify my computer usage till we get the neck mess back on track. No since in making it worse. I suspect a pinched nerve in my neck. I've had them before, AND they have been known to unkink on their own (luck). I guess that's what I secretly wish for and why I'm stalling on the MRI, that this thing will go away on it's own. Anyway, You have a better undertanding now of what I mean. I think, I hope

Thanks for the kind words, Take care, Kim B.

Re: Thanks Alan :-) eom

Kim B. on 10/05/00 at 08:32 (029827)

eom

Nancy S. on 10/05/00 at 09:42 (029833)

Oh yeah, Kim, dern (as you'd say), I keep forgetting the grits. I usually skip the cereal aisle. Will get on the stick and then post after I've tried them. Remember I'm a terrible cook, but I will muster all my resources for this important project.
Take good care,
Nancy

Re: To Kim

Beverly on 10/05/00 at 23:20 (029912)

Kim,

I feel for you and can relate. I've had to baby my neck and shoulder for two years, and sometimes it acts up and I am miserable. And yes, the computer really does aggrevate it. I have to discipline myself.
Did you get 'computer stretches' when you were in PT? I've found taking breaks about every 30 minutes to stretch a bit and not being at the computer more than a total of two hours at a time has helped me.
I do my 'computering' in different segments during the day. But it is very good to have those 'no computer' days. Not fun, but good for us.

I put more bucks into my computer chair than any other piece of furniture in my house. I've found it makes a big difference.

I hope you feel better soon. I remember earlier this summer when both my feet and neck were awful at the same time. I thought I was going to loose my mind.

Take Care,
Beverly

Re: Beverly

Kim B. on 10/05/00 at 23:28 (029915)

Thanks Bev, I suspect my chair is going to be a factor too. More $$$!! What kind did you end up with? Kim B.

Re: To Kim on my chair

Beverly on 10/06/00 at 23:36 (029983)

It is a Stylex. I sat in many, many chairs. This one has a good lumbar support. It has plenty of cushion. The back will tilt foward to whatever degree you want it to go. The arms are also adjustable. I discovered that the chairs at places like Office Depot are not as good as what you find at a real office supply store.

Since you are in Tarrant County, I can reccomend two places off of 360.
I think they are on Division. Both of them sell both new and used office furniture. The bigger store has a backroom that is huge and full of used furniture. Some of it looks barely used at all but the prices are better.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Re: To Bev, regarding her chair

Kim B. on 10/07/00 at 09:21 (029992)

I know where division and 360 are. Saw a wreck happen right there as a matter of fact. What are the names of the stores?

I sat in one the other day that was I think was a good one, adjustable in every direction. I am currently (sitting) on the 3rd chair I have bought for this computer room. This is the worst of the bunch, I'm getting worse at picking them out instead of better. Oh well, live and learn.

Are you sure you want to move back to this congested metroplex? Bev, the grass is always greener on the other side. This traffic is about to make me a worse nut case than I already am! Nice place to vist...

Thanks TexBev! (BTW, do you have my email address?)
Kim B.

Beverly on 10/07/00 at 19:40 (030012)

Kim,

I don't know the names of the stores, but to get there, you take 360 and exit on Division like you are going towards Arlington or UTA.
The stores will be on the right hand side of Divsion coming from 360.
The biggest one is easy to spot. You'll see it first. The second one is down closer to what at least used to be a Dodge dealership. If you pass the dealership, you've gone too far. I'd look in the phone book under used office furniture and see what's on Division.

Traffic is bad in the Metroplex. But since I have friends and family there, it seems like it would be balanced out. Also, should I ever get brave enough and my feet well enough to explore my love life again, I think my options will be better/broader at home. At any rate, I can't do anything until the house gets on the market - aiming for Dec, and then it will take months to sell.

Oh and how can I forget, shoe stores! I can actually shop without doing 'guess it by mail order'!

Sorry I can't remember the names of the stores,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 10/04/00 at 23:07 (029816)

Welcome back, Kim! You keep taking these long trips away from the board, and I'm getting suspicious. Are you on Easter Island or what?
You're right, I have missed you, and I want to know how you guessed.
So you ice feet and neck at the same time? If so, you must post a pic of this to the pic gallery. I'm going to get one on there of my feet in gold socks and hikers. I hope this doesn't outdo you -- perhaps you'd better wear your crown again.
Sounds like you've had a lousy time -- I hope things improve for you immediately.
Nancy

JudyS on 10/05/00 at 01:25 (029818)

Hi Kim - I was so glad to see your name attached to a post! It's been way too long and we really need you around here! However, having read your post, me suspects you need us too. Why, you wonder? Because we have to tell you to quit doing the candle-at-both-ends thing! Wow - and I think just PF slows me down! You act just like a woman.....
As I was reading I was trying to figure out how to get you in hand (literally) AND how to magically produce the $200 for you to get that MRI. That's a bunch of dough but gosh darn it girl, you need it and you're worth it! Remember them thar foot problems of yours? 'member how we've learned to take care of them right away? Sell your blood to Count Dracula (tis the season..)if you have to but go get that MRI so you can at least start to approach your sore neck problem. Any tiny bit of a sense of control is worth millions. Besides, the selfish me would like to see your name in lights here more often.

alan k on 10/05/00 at 08:18 (029824)

Dear Kim,

I am sure you have very nice guts. If our guts knew eachother in person in person I am sure they would like each other very much.

You also have a pretty smile.

alan

Kim B. on 10/05/00 at 08:30 (029826)

Nancy, How 'bout them grits??

Judy, quit worrying. We can put together our portion of the MRI fee, even though I think $200 is a lot, it just that since my doc suspects that it is anxiety/repetitive use type of strain, I am in no hurry to waste $200 on my neck just to prove him right? Understand?

You're so sweet to worry, but we spend so much on my medical bills every year, so it's not that we aren't willing, I just try to put the money in the direction that it will do the most good. Difficult to explain. The scheduling is a big deal too. My husband had to take off of work the other day to help me out AND I had to have my Mother come over to care for my child, which interrupted her Arkansas vacation (go HOGS!!), so now, I feel like one big, expensive, pain in the butt, drain on everyone. I'll get over it, cause I know I didn't plan it or cause it on purpose. Hince, the part about I have to modify my computer usage till we get the neck mess back on track. No since in making it worse. I suspect a pinched nerve in my neck. I've had them before, AND they have been known to unkink on their own (luck). I guess that's what I secretly wish for and why I'm stalling on the MRI, that this thing will go away on it's own. Anyway, You have a better undertanding now of what I mean. I think, I hope

Thanks for the kind words, Take care, Kim B.

Re: Thanks Alan :-) eom

Kim B. on 10/05/00 at 08:32 (029827)

eom

Nancy S. on 10/05/00 at 09:42 (029833)

Oh yeah, Kim, dern (as you'd say), I keep forgetting the grits. I usually skip the cereal aisle. Will get on the stick and then post after I've tried them. Remember I'm a terrible cook, but I will muster all my resources for this important project.
Take good care,
Nancy

Re: To Kim

Beverly on 10/05/00 at 23:20 (029912)

Kim,

I feel for you and can relate. I've had to baby my neck and shoulder for two years, and sometimes it acts up and I am miserable. And yes, the computer really does aggrevate it. I have to discipline myself.
Did you get 'computer stretches' when you were in PT? I've found taking breaks about every 30 minutes to stretch a bit and not being at the computer more than a total of two hours at a time has helped me.
I do my 'computering' in different segments during the day. But it is very good to have those 'no computer' days. Not fun, but good for us.

I put more bucks into my computer chair than any other piece of furniture in my house. I've found it makes a big difference.

I hope you feel better soon. I remember earlier this summer when both my feet and neck were awful at the same time. I thought I was going to loose my mind.

Take Care,
Beverly

Re: Beverly

Kim B. on 10/05/00 at 23:28 (029915)

Thanks Bev, I suspect my chair is going to be a factor too. More $$$!! What kind did you end up with? Kim B.

Re: To Kim on my chair

Beverly on 10/06/00 at 23:36 (029983)

It is a Stylex. I sat in many, many chairs. This one has a good lumbar support. It has plenty of cushion. The back will tilt foward to whatever degree you want it to go. The arms are also adjustable. I discovered that the chairs at places like Office Depot are not as good as what you find at a real office supply store.

Since you are in Tarrant County, I can reccomend two places off of 360.
I think they are on Division. Both of them sell both new and used office furniture. The bigger store has a backroom that is huge and full of used furniture. Some of it looks barely used at all but the prices are better.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Kim B. on 10/07/00 at 09:21 (029992)

I know where division and 360 are. Saw a wreck happen right there as a matter of fact. What are the names of the stores?

I sat in one the other day that was I think was a good one, adjustable in every direction. I am currently (sitting) on the 3rd chair I have bought for this computer room. This is the worst of the bunch, I'm getting worse at picking them out instead of better. Oh well, live and learn.

Are you sure you want to move back to this congested metroplex? Bev, the grass is always greener on the other side. This traffic is about to make me a worse nut case than I already am! Nice place to vist...

Thanks TexBev! (BTW, do you have my email address?)
Kim B.

Beverly on 10/07/00 at 19:40 (030012)

Kim,

I don't know the names of the stores, but to get there, you take 360 and exit on Division like you are going towards Arlington or UTA.
The stores will be on the right hand side of Divsion coming from 360.
The biggest one is easy to spot. You'll see it first. The second one is down closer to what at least used to be a Dodge dealership. If you pass the dealership, you've gone too far. I'd look in the phone book under used office furniture and see what's on Division.

Traffic is bad in the Metroplex. But since I have friends and family there, it seems like it would be balanced out. Also, should I ever get brave enough and my feet well enough to explore my love life again, I think my options will be better/broader at home. At any rate, I can't do anything until the house gets on the market - aiming for Dec, and then it will take months to sell.

Oh and how can I forget, shoe stores! I can actually shop without doing 'guess it by mail order'!

Sorry I can't remember the names of the stores,
Beverly