Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 weeks post eswt tx

Posted by Rina on 10/05/00 at 01:04 (029817)

On Sept. 7th I had my first eswt tx. My heel felt great the first 2 weeks following tx. I now, 4 weeks later, have a slight tenderness in the site that was treated as well as a tingling sensation when I rub my finger over the site. There seems to also be a definite hardness to this area when I palpate it. Can you explain this? My activity level is pretty low. I have not returned to any form of exercise yet. I am a dental hygienist and practice sit down dentistry so I am not on my feet much at work. My foot does feel better than before tx, however the tingling and hardening that I feel when I touch the site does concern me. Any answers as to why I would be feeling this?

Re: 4 weeks post eswt tx

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/05/00 at 20:49 (029898)

This is healing. I find that additinal healing takes placed between weesk six thru twelve. Now if you are having a lot pain 2nd treatment is the way to go. So long as you are doing better and better . The second treatment can wait. What is your stretching program like. I use the Personal Foot Trainers. They could make the difference for you.

Re: personal foot trainers

Rina on 10/05/00 at 22:02 (029906)

Thank you for the recommendation of the PFT's. I will look into purchasing them right away. I am a very big believer in stretching. Even prior to having pf, I always made sure I allowed myself time to stretch out well before and following working out.....another reason I was so surprised to be hit with pf. Could it possibly be the direct result of aerobics and step aerobics that I did more than 3 years ago before switching to low impact workouts? For at least 3-4 years I have been doing only low impact workouts consisting of brisk or fast walking outside as well as on indoor track and on treadmill alternating with the stationary bike/spin class and pilates(but only up until last October, when foot first started up again. I also gained about 20lbs. over the last 3-4 years as well pushing me up to about 145 standing 5'4'tall. How much is weight a factor? There are so many overweight people who are not pf sufferers. I continue to appreciate this site and so happy I found it. One can never learn too much. Thank you again for your valuable advice, suggestions and for taking the time to help all us pf sufferers.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/07/00 at 18:36 (030009)

The function of the pf is shock absorption and yes pf is caused by high and some times low aerobic excerise. Weight is a factor but aerobic impact is much greater a source of pf pain

Re: 4 weeks post eswt tx

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/05/00 at 20:49 (029898)

This is healing. I find that additinal healing takes placed between weesk six thru twelve. Now if you are having a lot pain 2nd treatment is the way to go. So long as you are doing better and better . The second treatment can wait. What is your stretching program like. I use the Personal Foot Trainers. They could make the difference for you.

Rina on 10/05/00 at 22:02 (029906)

Thank you for the recommendation of the PFT's. I will look into purchasing them right away. I am a very big believer in stretching. Even prior to having pf, I always made sure I allowed myself time to stretch out well before and following working out.....another reason I was so surprised to be hit with pf. Could it possibly be the direct result of aerobics and step aerobics that I did more than 3 years ago before switching to low impact workouts? For at least 3-4 years I have been doing only low impact workouts consisting of brisk or fast walking outside as well as on indoor track and on treadmill alternating with the stationary bike/spin class and pilates(but only up until last October, when foot first started up again. I also gained about 20lbs. over the last 3-4 years as well pushing me up to about 145 standing 5'4'tall. How much is weight a factor? There are so many overweight people who are not pf sufferers. I continue to appreciate this site and so happy I found it. One can never learn too much. Thank you again for your valuable advice, suggestions and for taking the time to help all us pf sufferers.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/07/00 at 18:36 (030009)

The function of the pf is shock absorption and yes pf is caused by high and some times low aerobic excerise. Weight is a factor but aerobic impact is much greater a source of pf pain