Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

100% Recovered from PF

Posted by Rock on 10/05/00 at 08:16 (029823)

Because I have been PF symptom free since early July, I have greatly decreased my posts to this board. Here is my story:

On March 18, 2000, I raced a 50 mile trail ultramarathon in the Kentucky hills so hard that I developed PF in my right heel. I was in denial, so I kept running 50 miles per week and raced yet another 50 mile trail ultramarathon in April which made the PF far worse (so dumb!). These same events made my left achilles tendon very painful, really worse than the PF. So the true cause of my PF was running up hills.

Here is how I got over PF:

Reduced run miles to 25 per week (only on flat gavel trails)
Increased Bike miles to 150 per week
Increased Swim miles to 5 per week (no wall push-off with bad foot)
New Orthotics
Daily Massage with AsperCreme
Night Splint
No barefoot walking

Notice that the only activity I avoided was the cause, running up hills. All through the summer I avoided running races and instead did a few triathlons which are much kinder to this 45 year old body. By the end of the summer even the achilles tendon calmed down enough to do a few 20 mile training runs on trails, so I decided to try an full distance (IronMan) triathlon in September in Ohio. Yes, I was concerned that the 26.2 mile run was on pavement, but I still did the race (my fifth IronMan Triathlon). I did fine and had no post event injuries.

Do not misunderstand my story as mere bragging, but as a accurate history to show that PF can be cured by being very active. I hope than something I have said here will help other get well. I am sorry if I have offended anyone.

Rock.
rock_cogar@my-deja.com

Re: 100% Recovered from PF

Kim B. on 10/05/00 at 10:02 (029835)

Glad for your recovery Rock!

Rock must be made of rock, the rest of us must be made of Play-doh. (Except Wendyn, who is obviously made of Silly-Puty. :-)

Kim B.

john h on 10/05/00 at 10:49 (029839)

rock: yesterday i watched a 150 mile run through the deserts of north africa. about 25% of the folks had to be helicoptered out because of serious problems. give that baby a try. that had to be a chiropodist dream.

Lori E. on 10/05/00 at 11:42 (029843)

I am so glad to hear that you have recovered. You must be one of the short term PFers. You reported that yours only lasted about 4 months. I know alot of us would like to be in your category. I had a co-worker who also had short term PF. When I got PF she agreed that it hurt like hell, but she reassured me that it would probably only last a few months. It's over a year later, I wish I was one of the lucky ones. Congrats on your recovery.

wendyn on 10/05/00 at 18:09 (029868)

That's good Kim.

;)

john h on 10/05/00 at 18:18 (029874)

does anyone ever get the thought that maybe rock and dr lewi might be the same person or non-person. rock sounds almost like a super hero. sort of like xena, warrior princess. maybe i am just a skeptic. nancy,kim,judy, wendy, laurie are any of you sort of a warrior princess or perhaps a dr lewi?

JudyS on 10/05/00 at 19:07 (029886)

Well John, there are those who've referred to me as 'warrior-like' but not in quite that manner! And then there are the truly enlightened who know me as the Princess that I am.......

JudyS on 10/05/00 at 19:12 (029887)

You know what, Rock? I truly respect the kind of person you are and how you've handled your recovery. Please don't think you have to apologize 'in advance' here just for saying it like it is for you. I think often of your style of recovery and couple it with others and that's what we're all here for - to learn different methodologies and to give one another pats on the back. You are a star and you get to work with your PF your way, just as the rest of us do. I say 'atta boy!' Now don't leave us for so long again!

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/05/00 at 19:43 (029892)

Are you the real Rocky , the stallion??? Great to hear that you pf has gone to the land of hopefully no return. This board needs you don't leave.

Re: WHO is Dr. Lewi??

Kim B. on 10/05/00 at 20:08 (029894)

I feel like I've missed part of a soap oprah. Who in the heck is Dr. Lewi, Huey, or whatever it is you guys are refering to?

My husband mentioned once that someone at his office had PF and it was gone in a reasonable amount of time. In comparison, mine is taking forever to go away. No two cases of PF are exactly the same.

Rock, I can assure you, I have a four yr. old boy, and 'staying active' has not been the problem. With (young) kids, you are rarely able to sit down because they are counting on you for everything from a glass of juice, to helping them finish up their 'potty visits'.

Rock, I get the stong impression that you do not have kids yet, please correct me if I am wrong. I cannot see how it is possible to be a PF sufferer, a parent, and a tri-athelete, all at the same time. My hats off to anyone who has managed this.

Kids, no kids, running, resting, whatever! This illness is tough to manage. I for one, have a tough case. Oddly, while I have been bed ridden with my back and neck problems, my feet felt very good, considering the PF. It's only now that I am back to overdoing it as a wife and mother that the PF pain is lurking around and ready to pounce again. For ME, I get the biggest payoff from staying off my feet. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Regards,
Kim B.

Kim B.

Pauline on 10/05/00 at 22:54 (029909)

Glad to hear the good news. Rock you must be single without kids because throughout your recovery you never mention having to stop cutting the lawn, couldn't carry the kids, prepare dinner for a family, attend the soccer games, go grocery shopping, or clean the house. To those moms and dads out there with PF congratulations
for running your marathon too. Most of you couldn't stop doing the things that make it worse----your family depends on you. God bless all of us and help us through lifes marathons.

Nancy S. on 10/06/00 at 04:25 (029919)

Kim, Dr. Lewi, who coined the term 'podiatry' and is 130 years old, started posting here around 9/27. The saga went on for the about three days and is on the social/support board, beginning with a post by john h called something like 'the first podiatrist.'
Dr. Lewi is a real snake in the grass. But I would check out the soap oprah if I were you. I was his second wife, you know, but I learned more about him from these posts than I knew the whole time I was married to him.
Nancy

Rock on 10/06/00 at 09:03 (029930)

For the 'record', I am married to a triathlete/ultrarunner. I had children early (I was Soccer coach, 5 yrs), My son is in college out west. Like everybody else, I do some home improvement projects, work in the yard and on cars (too much).

Annette on 10/06/00 at 15:39 (029948)

Your my hero Rock!
I am a(hill) runner, have been hurt and unhealed since Dec of 99. I am becoming afraid of never being able to run distance again. I am glad to hear that you are back out there running the long miles after suffering from PF, many people say that my distance running is over. You give me hope.
Annette

john h on 10/06/00 at 19:01 (029963)

dr huey lewi was more than just a podiatrist! he was a chiropodist and a man/woman for all seasons. he was and is dr. c. huey lewi, dpm.

Re: 100% Recovered from PF -Are you hill biking??

Denise E on 10/07/00 at 13:45 (030004)

Rock, I developed PF in mid-July. I stopped my hill running immediately but not my power walking. But, even with just walking, I felt I was further aggravating my PF so I stopped that too. I didn't stop tennis until the end of August, but have definitely noticed improvement in my condition since stopping.

I do swim (not my favorite sport) and do yoga but not all standing poses. I do a little biking but find that biking up hills also aggravates my heel. In your 150 miles of biking, do you encounter any hills or is it all flat?? Just curious.

I agree, I think some activity is important, but I'm astonished on how you improved so quickly with your routine. I have mild PF and am going into my 6th week of laying off all impact activity. The only reason I feel I'm improving is because I have discontinued impact exercise. If PF is due to overuse, I don't see how anyone improves if they don't rest. But I am glad for you. It just proves how stange a condition this is.

Kate on 10/09/00 at 14:33 (030105)

Our office has a patient who, only 3 weeks after his second ESWT treatment is back to running one and a half hours a day and biking 80 miles a day, hills, straight distances etc. And this was after years of PF and an achilles tendon injury....keep the faith...it can be done!

Kim B. on 10/05/00 at 10:02 (029835)

Glad for your recovery Rock!

Rock must be made of rock, the rest of us must be made of Play-doh. (Except Wendyn, who is obviously made of Silly-Puty. :-)

Kim B.

john h on 10/05/00 at 10:49 (029839)

rock: yesterday i watched a 150 mile run through the deserts of north africa. about 25% of the folks had to be helicoptered out because of serious problems. give that baby a try. that had to be a chiropodist dream.

Lori E. on 10/05/00 at 11:42 (029843)

I am so glad to hear that you have recovered. You must be one of the short term PFers. You reported that yours only lasted about 4 months. I know alot of us would like to be in your category. I had a co-worker who also had short term PF. When I got PF she agreed that it hurt like hell, but she reassured me that it would probably only last a few months. It's over a year later, I wish I was one of the lucky ones. Congrats on your recovery.

wendyn on 10/05/00 at 18:09 (029868)

That's good Kim.

;)

john h on 10/05/00 at 18:18 (029874)

does anyone ever get the thought that maybe rock and dr lewi might be the same person or non-person. rock sounds almost like a super hero. sort of like xena, warrior princess. maybe i am just a skeptic. nancy,kim,judy, wendy, laurie are any of you sort of a warrior princess or perhaps a dr lewi?

JudyS on 10/05/00 at 19:07 (029886)

Well John, there are those who've referred to me as 'warrior-like' but not in quite that manner! And then there are the truly enlightened who know me as the Princess that I am.......

JudyS on 10/05/00 at 19:12 (029887)

You know what, Rock? I truly respect the kind of person you are and how you've handled your recovery. Please don't think you have to apologize 'in advance' here just for saying it like it is for you. I think often of your style of recovery and couple it with others and that's what we're all here for - to learn different methodologies and to give one another pats on the back. You are a star and you get to work with your PF your way, just as the rest of us do. I say 'atta boy!' Now don't leave us for so long again!

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/05/00 at 19:43 (029892)

Are you the real Rocky , the stallion??? Great to hear that you pf has gone to the land of hopefully no return. This board needs you don't leave.

Kim B. on 10/05/00 at 20:08 (029894)

I feel like I've missed part of a soap oprah. Who in the heck is Dr. Lewi, Huey, or whatever it is you guys are refering to?

My husband mentioned once that someone at his office had PF and it was gone in a reasonable amount of time. In comparison, mine is taking forever to go away. No two cases of PF are exactly the same.

Rock, I can assure you, I have a four yr. old boy, and 'staying active' has not been the problem. With (young) kids, you are rarely able to sit down because they are counting on you for everything from a glass of juice, to helping them finish up their 'potty visits'.

Rock, I get the stong impression that you do not have kids yet, please correct me if I am wrong. I cannot see how it is possible to be a PF sufferer, a parent, and a tri-athelete, all at the same time. My hats off to anyone who has managed this.

Kids, no kids, running, resting, whatever! This illness is tough to manage. I for one, have a tough case. Oddly, while I have been bed ridden with my back and neck problems, my feet felt very good, considering the PF. It's only now that I am back to overdoing it as a wife and mother that the PF pain is lurking around and ready to pounce again. For ME, I get the biggest payoff from staying off my feet. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Regards,
Kim B.

Kim B.

Pauline on 10/05/00 at 22:54 (029909)

Glad to hear the good news. Rock you must be single without kids because throughout your recovery you never mention having to stop cutting the lawn, couldn't carry the kids, prepare dinner for a family, attend the soccer games, go grocery shopping, or clean the house. To those moms and dads out there with PF congratulations
for running your marathon too. Most of you couldn't stop doing the things that make it worse----your family depends on you. God bless all of us and help us through lifes marathons.

Nancy S. on 10/06/00 at 04:25 (029919)

Kim, Dr. Lewi, who coined the term 'podiatry' and is 130 years old, started posting here around 9/27. The saga went on for the about three days and is on the social/support board, beginning with a post by john h called something like 'the first podiatrist.'
Dr. Lewi is a real snake in the grass. But I would check out the soap oprah if I were you. I was his second wife, you know, but I learned more about him from these posts than I knew the whole time I was married to him.
Nancy

Rock on 10/06/00 at 09:03 (029930)

For the 'record', I am married to a triathlete/ultrarunner. I had children early (I was Soccer coach, 5 yrs), My son is in college out west. Like everybody else, I do some home improvement projects, work in the yard and on cars (too much).

Annette on 10/06/00 at 15:39 (029948)

Your my hero Rock!
I am a(hill) runner, have been hurt and unhealed since Dec of 99. I am becoming afraid of never being able to run distance again. I am glad to hear that you are back out there running the long miles after suffering from PF, many people say that my distance running is over. You give me hope.
Annette

john h on 10/06/00 at 19:01 (029963)

dr huey lewi was more than just a podiatrist! he was a chiropodist and a man/woman for all seasons. he was and is dr. c. huey lewi, dpm.

Denise E on 10/07/00 at 13:45 (030004)

Rock, I developed PF in mid-July. I stopped my hill running immediately but not my power walking. But, even with just walking, I felt I was further aggravating my PF so I stopped that too. I didn't stop tennis until the end of August, but have definitely noticed improvement in my condition since stopping.

I do swim (not my favorite sport) and do yoga but not all standing poses. I do a little biking but find that biking up hills also aggravates my heel. In your 150 miles of biking, do you encounter any hills or is it all flat?? Just curious.

I agree, I think some activity is important, but I'm astonished on how you improved so quickly with your routine. I have mild PF and am going into my 6th week of laying off all impact activity. The only reason I feel I'm improving is because I have discontinued impact exercise. If PF is due to overuse, I don't see how anyone improves if they don't rest. But I am glad for you. It just proves how stange a condition this is.

Kate on 10/09/00 at 14:33 (030105)

Our office has a patient who, only 3 weeks after his second ESWT treatment is back to running one and a half hours a day and biking 80 miles a day, hills, straight distances etc. And this was after years of PF and an achilles tendon injury....keep the faith...it can be done!