Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT in California

Posted by Tricia on 10/05/00 at 13:14 (029848)

Hi, Dr. Z recommended that I come to this board to locate a podiatrist in So. Calif that is trained in ESWT although I can find no locater on this board. Help! Also I have had heel pain for years-ever since my feet were injured in a head on collision in 1980. I was seeing a podiatrist and he took x rays and showed me the old fractures I had substained at the time of the accident and how my feet are full of arthritis. I was getting zinging pains like eletrical shocks in my feet. I even thought I had been stung by a feet while barefoot out back- then my foot itched and burned and the next morning I awoke to a partially numb foot but also excruiating pain. My orthopedic doctor (he works on my knees) gave me a cortisone shot in my foot along the nerve. It is now worn off. I am wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome and if this ESWT would work or if I am most likely looking at surgery. If I undergo surgery should I have the plantar fascitis and TTS worked on all at once? Thank you!

Re: ESWT in California

JudyS on 10/05/00 at 14:26 (029854)

Tricia - according to the ESWT site here, there is a treatment center in LA. Here it is:
Mike Shapow
Rehab HealthCare Network
6222 wilshire blvd Ste 302
los Angeles, California, USA . . . 323-965-7333

I think our Bob Ray had a treatment there a while back......

The only other one listed for CA is at UC Davis but I'm not clear on whether or not they're treating PF. It looks like it may be more of an animal clinic - especially given that school's curriculum.
Last, the Markham clinic is in Toronto, Canada.
I'd love to hear about what you decide - where in CA are you?

Tricia on 10/05/00 at 16:26 (029858)

I am in Temecula, Ca - its between San Diego and Los Angeles, but inland. I just asked my Podiatrist if he was aware of ESWT and he told me it was illegal in the USA. Oh my, I had to laugh. I asked if he had internet and told him I would foward this website to him. He wants to do surger but after reading everything I have on this board I want him to tell me more first- Some of you have had blood flow checked and MRI's done- he has done none of that. Dr. Bichler says is an MRI shows the problam is 'dital to the tunnel and involves the insetion on the navicular the ESWT can ve used' I see my doctor, Dr. Santoro, on Tuesday next week and I am printing all of this out and I am going to MAKE him tell me these things. I know some doctors just what us to be quiet and say 'okay, incise me' but I want to know EVERYTHING there is to know first- and you all have really helped me in this situation. By the way the neurlogist he sent me to said 'no underlaying peripheral neuropathy but I have tingling and zinging burning pains in my hands now. Also the back of my arms tingle and my lip feels funny. Any ideas?

Kate on 10/05/00 at 17:38 (029861)

Get a second opinion, and a third....
Never get cut if you can avoid it, especially when this treatment is not only legal (what a laugh!) but it is approved by the FDA, and has a great, proven success record.

Good Luck,
Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator

wendyn on 10/05/00 at 18:16 (029873)

Hi - there are lots of us here with TTS, I understood that any type of nerve entrapment meant that ESWT is not an option.

wendyn on 10/05/00 at 18:19 (029875)

Tricia, there are lots of us here with TTS and we can talk lots about that...but I highly recommend you check out http://www.neuropathy.org - you have to sign up once (no charge) but I think you may find a lot of information helpful there. It really sounds to me like you are dealing with a lot more than 'just' foot problems.

JudyS on 10/05/00 at 19:01 (029883)

Hi again Tricia - Hey - I was just up in Temecula last weekend (I'm in San Diego) to see Kenny Rogers....did you go?
I love Temecula so much - WAY cool antique stores!!
Keep educating yourself re: ESWT - yours won't be the first Doctor who's learned something from a patient!

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/05/00 at 19:39 (029891)

I agree with Wendyn. Tinging in the hands and feet and lips is a sign of some type of systemic condition and or peripheral neuropathy. You need to have a complete examination including blood evaluation. I am surprised that the neurologist did pick up the ball and help you. I wish that I could refer to a personal friend in California. I will help you in any way possible. Questions and hopefully answers. This board is a great start. You must take control of your health and ask all the questions and get the anwers that satisfy you.

DrZuckerman. on 10/05/00 at 20:44 (029897)

TTS means no ESWT. Period end of story.

wendyn on 10/06/00 at 08:29 (029929)

Tricia, have you had your B12 levels checked? If not - this is the very first thing they should do (immediately). Low B12 can cause neuropathy, it's easily reversible but if left long enough it can cause permanent damange and eventually even death. Not something to be overlooked.

Kurt Kaufman, DPM on 10/07/00 at 10:18 (029994)

If you have your Posterior Tibial nerve (Tarsal Tunnel) injected and you obtain complete relief fo 24-36 Hours you might just consider having surgery on the tarsal tunnel alone. If an injection offers very little relief than surgery on both the fascia and tarsal tunnel will be indicated. As far as ESWT the FDA has forbidden the use when tarsal tunnel is present, but that doesnt mean that you couldn't have the tarsal tunnel released and 6months later have eswt. Kurt Kaufman, DPM

JudyS on 10/05/00 at 14:26 (029854)

Tricia - according to the ESWT site here, there is a treatment center in LA. Here it is:
Mike Shapow
Rehab HealthCare Network
6222 wilshire blvd Ste 302
los Angeles, California, USA . . . 323-965-7333

I think our Bob Ray had a treatment there a while back......

The only other one listed for CA is at UC Davis but I'm not clear on whether or not they're treating PF. It looks like it may be more of an animal clinic - especially given that school's curriculum.
Last, the Markham clinic is in Toronto, Canada.
I'd love to hear about what you decide - where in CA are you?

Tricia on 10/05/00 at 16:26 (029858)

I am in Temecula, Ca - its between San Diego and Los Angeles, but inland. I just asked my Podiatrist if he was aware of ESWT and he told me it was illegal in the USA. Oh my, I had to laugh. I asked if he had internet and told him I would foward this website to him. He wants to do surger but after reading everything I have on this board I want him to tell me more first- Some of you have had blood flow checked and MRI's done- he has done none of that. Dr. Bichler says is an MRI shows the problam is 'dital to the tunnel and involves the insetion on the navicular the ESWT can ve used' I see my doctor, Dr. Santoro, on Tuesday next week and I am printing all of this out and I am going to MAKE him tell me these things. I know some doctors just what us to be quiet and say 'okay, incise me' but I want to know EVERYTHING there is to know first- and you all have really helped me in this situation. By the way the neurlogist he sent me to said 'no underlaying peripheral neuropathy but I have tingling and zinging burning pains in my hands now. Also the back of my arms tingle and my lip feels funny. Any ideas?

Kate on 10/05/00 at 17:38 (029861)

Get a second opinion, and a third....
Never get cut if you can avoid it, especially when this treatment is not only legal (what a laugh!) but it is approved by the FDA, and has a great, proven success record.

Good Luck,
Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator

wendyn on 10/05/00 at 18:16 (029873)

Hi - there are lots of us here with TTS, I understood that any type of nerve entrapment meant that ESWT is not an option.

wendyn on 10/05/00 at 18:19 (029875)

Tricia, there are lots of us here with TTS and we can talk lots about that...but I highly recommend you check out http://www.neuropathy.org - you have to sign up once (no charge) but I think you may find a lot of information helpful there. It really sounds to me like you are dealing with a lot more than 'just' foot problems.

JudyS on 10/05/00 at 19:01 (029883)

Hi again Tricia - Hey - I was just up in Temecula last weekend (I'm in San Diego) to see Kenny Rogers....did you go?
I love Temecula so much - WAY cool antique stores!!
Keep educating yourself re: ESWT - yours won't be the first Doctor who's learned something from a patient!

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/05/00 at 19:39 (029891)

I agree with Wendyn. Tinging in the hands and feet and lips is a sign of some type of systemic condition and or peripheral neuropathy. You need to have a complete examination including blood evaluation. I am surprised that the neurologist did pick up the ball and help you. I wish that I could refer to a personal friend in California. I will help you in any way possible. Questions and hopefully answers. This board is a great start. You must take control of your health and ask all the questions and get the anwers that satisfy you.

DrZuckerman. on 10/05/00 at 20:44 (029897)

TTS means no ESWT. Period end of story.

wendyn on 10/06/00 at 08:29 (029929)

Tricia, have you had your B12 levels checked? If not - this is the very first thing they should do (immediately). Low B12 can cause neuropathy, it's easily reversible but if left long enough it can cause permanent damange and eventually even death. Not something to be overlooked.

Kurt Kaufman, DPM on 10/07/00 at 10:18 (029994)

If you have your Posterior Tibial nerve (Tarsal Tunnel) injected and you obtain complete relief fo 24-36 Hours you might just consider having surgery on the tarsal tunnel alone. If an injection offers very little relief than surgery on both the fascia and tarsal tunnel will be indicated. As far as ESWT the FDA has forbidden the use when tarsal tunnel is present, but that doesnt mean that you couldn't have the tarsal tunnel released and 6months later have eswt. Kurt Kaufman, DPM