Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I finally got my permit

Posted by Lori E. on 10/05/00 at 23:54 (029917)

I just wanted to inform you that I got my handicap permit and used it for the first time at school today. I parked right outside my classroom's building. It was great going to class and not having my feet hurt for the first hour. It is also great to get home and be able to do a few things around the house before I go to bed. I am hoping now that I have my permit I can really start making some progress. I also got a pair of rubber birks for the impending winter. I rained today so it was nice to not have to worry about ruining my leather birks.

Re: I finally got my permit

Steve P on 10/06/00 at 09:37 (029932)

Thanks, Lori, for reminding us all about the handicap parking permit. I share your view.

Anyone with PF, particularly a tough case, should apply for a temporary permit. Don't be bashful, folks! Drop by any Motor Vehicle Admin office (or call them & they will probably mail you the application). You'll be glad you did.

Pauline on 10/06/00 at 11:43 (029933)

I'm very happy for you. I remember when I too had to use one and the respect I gained for all those who need this kind of help. When I could finally turn it in, I was happy and simply grateful to be able to walk from anywhere in the parking lot. I tell you it was a really good feeling, one I wrote about in my grateful book.

salina on 10/06/00 at 16:03 (029950)

Good for You, Lori!!
I have thought so many times about asking to get one. But can't bring myself to do it.
I think I am more afraid of being told 'your condition doesnt warrant one'. Then I would have a nervous breakdown right then and there.
Cause that is the hardest thing I deal with, is knowing that my family, my doctor, my neighbors, NOBODY around me understands how bad it hurts.
Question: What kind of birks did you get?
Are they good for winter?
I was looking on the german website the other day, and they had some greatlooking waterproof hiking boots (hint hint to nancy s.).
See, I am extremely broke right now, so I am forever hoping SOMEONE ELSE will order these shoes and tell me if they are good or not.
But so far, no luck.
Enjoy your permit, it must be so nice. I'm jealous.

Steve P on 10/06/00 at 17:15 (029959)

Salina --- Here's how I got my permit.....

I called the MVA & asked them to mail me the ap, which they did.

I filled it out (5 minutes) & mailed it to my doc's office with a brief note asking him to sign it & return to me. I enclosed a self-addressed envelope.

When I got the signed ap back, I mailed it to the MVA & they mailed me the permit about a week later. Good for 6 months.

I did everything by mail & it was a breeze. So, please, don't hesitate.....just do it!!!

my best to you..........Steve

Lori E. on 10/06/00 at 22:58 (029978)

Salina,
I got the Super Birkies in black rubber. They were only about 25 euros. They should be good until the snow gets too deep. I am still breaking them in, my toes hit the rim at this point, but I know that they will break in. They are great for the rain.
I also understand about being told no about asking for a permit. I had problems getting the permit from my previous pod, my old boss even had me ask for one and she wouldn't give me one. I then asked for one when school started and still she wouldn't give me one. That's when I thought I was going for a nervous breakdown. I finally had to go to another pod who understood how much walking was involved in going to school on campus at the U and he filled out the form that he had right in his office. I didn't even have to ask, I had just put the info about being denied a permit in my PF history that he read and he suggested it.

Steve P on 10/06/00 at 09:37 (029932)

Thanks, Lori, for reminding us all about the handicap parking permit. I share your view.

Anyone with PF, particularly a tough case, should apply for a temporary permit. Don't be bashful, folks! Drop by any Motor Vehicle Admin office (or call them & they will probably mail you the application). You'll be glad you did.

Pauline on 10/06/00 at 11:43 (029933)

I'm very happy for you. I remember when I too had to use one and the respect I gained for all those who need this kind of help. When I could finally turn it in, I was happy and simply grateful to be able to walk from anywhere in the parking lot. I tell you it was a really good feeling, one I wrote about in my grateful book.

salina on 10/06/00 at 16:03 (029950)

Good for You, Lori!!
I have thought so many times about asking to get one. But can't bring myself to do it.
I think I am more afraid of being told 'your condition doesnt warrant one'. Then I would have a nervous breakdown right then and there.
Cause that is the hardest thing I deal with, is knowing that my family, my doctor, my neighbors, NOBODY around me understands how bad it hurts.
Question: What kind of birks did you get?
Are they good for winter?
I was looking on the german website the other day, and they had some greatlooking waterproof hiking boots (hint hint to nancy s.).
See, I am extremely broke right now, so I am forever hoping SOMEONE ELSE will order these shoes and tell me if they are good or not.
But so far, no luck.
Enjoy your permit, it must be so nice. I'm jealous.

Steve P on 10/06/00 at 17:15 (029959)

Salina --- Here's how I got my permit.....

I called the MVA & asked them to mail me the ap, which they did.

I filled it out (5 minutes) & mailed it to my doc's office with a brief note asking him to sign it & return to me. I enclosed a self-addressed envelope.

When I got the signed ap back, I mailed it to the MVA & they mailed me the permit about a week later. Good for 6 months.

I did everything by mail & it was a breeze. So, please, don't hesitate.....just do it!!!

my best to you..........Steve

Lori E. on 10/06/00 at 22:58 (029978)

Salina,
I got the Super Birkies in black rubber. They were only about 25 euros. They should be good until the snow gets too deep. I am still breaking them in, my toes hit the rim at this point, but I know that they will break in. They are great for the rain.
I also understand about being told no about asking for a permit. I had problems getting the permit from my previous pod, my old boss even had me ask for one and she wouldn't give me one. I then asked for one when school started and still she wouldn't give me one. That's when I thought I was going for a nervous breakdown. I finally had to go to another pod who understood how much walking was involved in going to school on campus at the U and he filled out the form that he had right in his office. I didn't even have to ask, I had just put the info about being denied a permit in my PF history that he read and he suggested it.