Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

return ro work

Posted by CindyAF on 10/06/00 at 05:01 (029920)

I am now 5 weeks postop,and my Piatrist is ready to release me to full duty(8 hours of mostly walking) I have been walking a lot with only small amount of pain in side of foot at times,but still painful when I first get on it. Could I possibly reinjure by going back to full duty now. Will that morning pain ever go away?
Thanks for any and all info you can give.

Re: return ro work

Barbara TX on 10/06/00 at 13:05 (029939)

Cindy - I noticed that my morning pain is greatly reduced by wearing a nightsplint. It keeps the fascia in a stretched position at night, when most pf healing takes place. When I am not wearing the splint at night, getting on my feet VERY gradually seems to help as well - rocking more and more of my weight on them when sitting on the side of the bed. Sometimes it takes awhile, but its worth it not to reinjure yourself each day and prolong your problem. Hope this helps! B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/06/00 at 16:55 (029955)

Not good to go back to work too soon after heel spur or pf release.
So talk to the doctor and think very carefully with him the positive and negative to this. I would do this if there is alot of walking and standing involved. Usually need eight to ten weeks of take it easy type of walking.

lenore r on 10/06/00 at 18:27 (029961)

please be very careful about doing to much to soon. i was 3 weeks post op and feeling great. my foot didnt really hurt at all just doing around town walking, but yesterday i was tip toeing through a flooded parking lot and zap ... felt sharp pain and pull in my arch, now im in pain and doc says i probably retore the ligament so im back in my cam walker and took a 3 week step backwards.so instead of looking foward to going back to work i have about 4-6 weeks of sitting around to do. just think twice and share your conserns with your dr. good luck!!

Barbara TX on 10/06/00 at 13:05 (029939)

Cindy - I noticed that my morning pain is greatly reduced by wearing a nightsplint. It keeps the fascia in a stretched position at night, when most pf healing takes place. When I am not wearing the splint at night, getting on my feet VERY gradually seems to help as well - rocking more and more of my weight on them when sitting on the side of the bed. Sometimes it takes awhile, but its worth it not to reinjure yourself each day and prolong your problem. Hope this helps! B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/06/00 at 16:55 (029955)

Not good to go back to work too soon after heel spur or pf release.
So talk to the doctor and think very carefully with him the positive and negative to this. I would do this if there is alot of walking and standing involved. Usually need eight to ten weeks of take it easy type of walking.

lenore r on 10/06/00 at 18:27 (029961)

please be very careful about doing to much to soon. i was 3 weeks post op and feeling great. my foot didnt really hurt at all just doing around town walking, but yesterday i was tip toeing through a flooded parking lot and zap ... felt sharp pain and pull in my arch, now im in pain and doc says i probably retore the ligament so im back in my cam walker and took a 3 week step backwards.so instead of looking foward to going back to work i have about 4-6 weeks of sitting around to do. just think twice and share your conserns with your dr. good luck!!