Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Who Wears The Blue 3/4Length Birkenstock inserts? Bob?or Alan? Question for ya

Posted by salina on 10/06/00 at 15:43 (029949)

I just finally received my softbed birk sandals, and the blue birkenstock inserts. They are 3/4 length, not fullbed.
Question is, am I supposed to take out the footbed that's aready in my shoes, then put the birk insert in? I tried that, but then at the toe area it feels weird against the bottom of the shoe.
So now I just put the birk inserts over the footbed that is already in the shoe. Is this correct?
Also, are there any particular shoes you wear that fit and feel really good with the birk inserts?
This does feel good so far. More comfortable than my orthotics.

Re: Who Wears The Blue 3/4Length Birkenstock inserts? Bob?or Alan? Question for ya

alan k on 10/06/00 at 21:13 (029974)

not me, sorry.

generally you take the other footbed out first with inserts, but what ever is comfortable is probably better.

alan

Re: Who Wears The Blue 3/4Length Birkenstock inserts? Bob?or Alan? Question for ya

Bob G. on 10/06/00 at 22:25 (029976)

I am probably not the Bob you are aiming for, but I wear the Birkenstock arch supports, which are almost 3/4, and have been wearing the same pair for about ten years.

I am currently painfree :)

I wear them outside and above the footbed.
aka as Bosco the Great.

salina on 10/07/00 at 02:48 (029986)

I think you're the one, Bob. I wore mine all day today. Over my regular reeboks footbed. The footbed already in the shoes doesn't have much of an arch support in the first place. But they fit great with the birk insert over it.
Always trying to find what works. Thanks.

john h on 10/08/00 at 10:38 (030034)

i have worn the 3/4 length birk insert but lately have been using the two piece birk inserts when not in my birk sandals. the only thing i can really be sure of with inserts are that hard/rigid orthotics 'hurt'!

salina on 10/08/00 at 15:01 (030048)

just wanted to follow up on this.
I wore the birk inserts for a couple of days. The thing is, they felt great right from the start. Unlike my orthotics do.
But, now I have had to go back to the orthotics.
I started feeling more than usual strain in my arches, and they seemed to ache more than usual. It felt like I was going in reverse to when it first started, and the pain was so bad by the end of the day.
So now I am back in the orthotics, and the birk sandals in the evening.
By evening time, I am just so ready to get my feet out of the tennis shoes.
the thing is, it took me weeks to get used to the orthotics, and they still feel weird sometimes. Like its way too much in the arch area.
But, there must be something about them that is working, cause I saw a big reduction in swelling, and ache by the end of the day, and my arches (after the initial breaking in period) are not as sore and painful. When I spent a couple of days wearing the birk inserts, even though they felt soooo comfortable at first, I started feeling like I did before when the pain was really bad.
So its back to the orthotics. I wish I hadn't messed with the other inserts. I was seeing improvement, and got too cocky I guess.
Oh, the frustration.
I still put the birk inserts in my 'insert' drawer. It is full of all kinds of different foot stuff that didn't do the trick. But considering that the birks inserts DID feel better than any of the others, I will keep them around in case I need them.

PaulS on 10/09/00 at 03:03 (030082)

This is interesting, because I started wearing these 3/4 Birk inserts myself a day or so ago, and until now they have given me more relief from arch pain than anything else I have put in my shoes. I have become very cautious about my progress, however, because of the numerous setbacks I've had, so I don't know if the Birks will be a long-term solution. Obviously, your experience with them doesn't lead me to be too optimistic!

By the way, the advice to me was to wear them instead of the regular insoles NOT on top of them and this is what I have been doing.

salina on 10/09/00 at 14:27 (030104)

If the birk inserts are feeling good to you, then keep wearing them.
I know, all this talk about a ton of different inserts is confusing.

I am definately keeping my birk inserts around, because there has to be some reason they felt so comfortable.
I usually can't even stand long enough to get through grocery shopping. When I do, I endup icing and resting the rest of the day.
But I tried on the birk inserts first thing int the morning, and kept them on. Went grocery shopping, major shopping, two hours. And I was the most comfortable I have been while shopping. then when I got home, I had to take a friend to the hospital emergency room, so was on my feet off and on throughout the hospital (walked a good mile ormore looking for food) for five hours. And when I came home, I was still unable to rest due to other circumstances.
Yet, my feet did not bother me half as bad as they usually would have.
Normally I would be ready to cut them off at this point.
But within a couple of days, I started to feel like my arches were straining more.
BUT, I had had a very busy week, much more so than usual. so it might not have been caused by the inserts, but by all the activity I was doing.
BUT, I was too scared to take that chance. That is why I just got back in my orthotics for now.
I must say, they sure did feelgood. maybe too good, that is why I overdid it.
I might try again at a later date.
bet of luck to you.

alan k on 10/06/00 at 21:13 (029974)

not me, sorry.

generally you take the other footbed out first with inserts, but what ever is comfortable is probably better.

alan

Bob G. on 10/06/00 at 22:25 (029976)

I am probably not the Bob you are aiming for, but I wear the Birkenstock arch supports, which are almost 3/4, and have been wearing the same pair for about ten years.

I am currently painfree :)

I wear them outside and above the footbed.
aka as Bosco the Great.

salina on 10/07/00 at 02:48 (029986)

I think you're the one, Bob. I wore mine all day today. Over my regular reeboks footbed. The footbed already in the shoes doesn't have much of an arch support in the first place. But they fit great with the birk insert over it.
Always trying to find what works. Thanks.

john h on 10/08/00 at 10:38 (030034)

i have worn the 3/4 length birk insert but lately have been using the two piece birk inserts when not in my birk sandals. the only thing i can really be sure of with inserts are that hard/rigid orthotics 'hurt'!

salina on 10/08/00 at 15:01 (030048)

just wanted to follow up on this.
I wore the birk inserts for a couple of days. The thing is, they felt great right from the start. Unlike my orthotics do.
But, now I have had to go back to the orthotics.
I started feeling more than usual strain in my arches, and they seemed to ache more than usual. It felt like I was going in reverse to when it first started, and the pain was so bad by the end of the day.
So now I am back in the orthotics, and the birk sandals in the evening.
By evening time, I am just so ready to get my feet out of the tennis shoes.
the thing is, it took me weeks to get used to the orthotics, and they still feel weird sometimes. Like its way too much in the arch area.
But, there must be something about them that is working, cause I saw a big reduction in swelling, and ache by the end of the day, and my arches (after the initial breaking in period) are not as sore and painful. When I spent a couple of days wearing the birk inserts, even though they felt soooo comfortable at first, I started feeling like I did before when the pain was really bad.
So its back to the orthotics. I wish I hadn't messed with the other inserts. I was seeing improvement, and got too cocky I guess.
Oh, the frustration.
I still put the birk inserts in my 'insert' drawer. It is full of all kinds of different foot stuff that didn't do the trick. But considering that the birks inserts DID feel better than any of the others, I will keep them around in case I need them.

PaulS on 10/09/00 at 03:03 (030082)

This is interesting, because I started wearing these 3/4 Birk inserts myself a day or so ago, and until now they have given me more relief from arch pain than anything else I have put in my shoes. I have become very cautious about my progress, however, because of the numerous setbacks I've had, so I don't know if the Birks will be a long-term solution. Obviously, your experience with them doesn't lead me to be too optimistic!

By the way, the advice to me was to wear them instead of the regular insoles NOT on top of them and this is what I have been doing.

salina on 10/09/00 at 14:27 (030104)

If the birk inserts are feeling good to you, then keep wearing them.
I know, all this talk about a ton of different inserts is confusing.

I am definately keeping my birk inserts around, because there has to be some reason they felt so comfortable.
I usually can't even stand long enough to get through grocery shopping. When I do, I endup icing and resting the rest of the day.
But I tried on the birk inserts first thing int the morning, and kept them on. Went grocery shopping, major shopping, two hours. And I was the most comfortable I have been while shopping. then when I got home, I had to take a friend to the hospital emergency room, so was on my feet off and on throughout the hospital (walked a good mile ormore looking for food) for five hours. And when I came home, I was still unable to rest due to other circumstances.
Yet, my feet did not bother me half as bad as they usually would have.
Normally I would be ready to cut them off at this point.
But within a couple of days, I started to feel like my arches were straining more.
BUT, I had had a very busy week, much more so than usual. so it might not have been caused by the inserts, but by all the activity I was doing.
BUT, I was too scared to take that chance. That is why I just got back in my orthotics for now.
I must say, they sure did feelgood. maybe too good, that is why I overdid it.
I might try again at a later date.
bet of luck to you.