Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain in my heel - Just started

Posted by Ken P on 10/07/00 at 10:33 (029996)

Some facts about me. 5'11'; 165lbs 54 yo
Have never had pain in my feet before. I have a moderately high arch.

I am not a runner; but I do a lot of walking - Golf. Also do weight training and aerobics using a Nordic Track.

On Wednesday I started to notice some pain in my left heel while golfing; more pronounced when I bent forward to pick up the Golf ball!

That night I started to massage around my heel trying to see where the pain originates, pressing on the bottom of my heel causes no pain, however I found one spot on the side of the inner heel area where if I press that spot I feel the pain radiate under my heel.

Now in the mornings when I get out of bed the heel is sore.

I can think of nothing specific that I have done that would cause this!

Friday night I just happened to be looking through a catalog that was advertsing a shoe insert and it mentioned plantar facitis, I found this site via searching.

I have started to do the following based on what I have read:
1) no going barefoot around the house or wearing 'boat shoes'. Now I am wearing a Cross training shoe.

How can I tell if my everday work shoes and golf shoes have the proper support?

2) Ice the area - can only do this twice a day.

3) Started stretching the calf muscles and the plantar facscia.

Any other suggestions?

ps. I have set up an appointment with my Primary care Physician - should I insist on a referral to a Podiatrist. Do you know ony excellent ones in the Wilmington DE area?

Thanks

Re: Pain in my heel - Just started

wendyn on 10/07/00 at 11:39 (029999)

Ken (I am not one of the doctors).... sounds to me like you are a perfect patient. You are doing everything right, including seeing a doctor and not ignoring this. You may want to wait and see what your doctor says before deciding if a referral to a pod is necessary. Experiment with shoes, it seems to be a really individual thing - but the not going barefoot is a biggie.

Barbara TX on 10/07/00 at 12:31 (030002)

The famous Dr. Z of 'ask the doctor' fame here on heelspurs.com is right over the border in Woodbury, N.J. I don't think that's very far. I used to live in the Bear/Christiana area. B.

Denise E on 10/07/00 at 13:56 (030005)

Ken, I'm somewhat new to PF too (mid-July). Stretch, stretch, stretch, ditto on never going barefoot (not even in the shower). Cease all impact activity. Swimming is okay (I do Yoga but not all standing poses).

Get fitted with a good pair of semi-rigid (not rigid) orthotics. I have had mine since the end of September and have started walking again - very, very slowly and not for too long.

Ice initially but when your pain is more mild, you may want to consider some message therapy on your feet and legs (I think this is helping me too).

Good luck!! Keep in touch with the board, you can learn a lot.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/08/00 at 03:40 (030029)

Eary treat is the cure. So stretch, no bare feet, Stretching before you place weight on the foot is very important.I like the Personal Foot Trainers. Must find the cause and go from the there . Read Scott Robert online book. I would be very happy to evaluate you in personal if necessary. Wilimington is one of my favorite places. We are right over the Com. Barry Bridge. So read read read read there are some great people as you already know . I repeat get your shoe on before you first step in the morning . Stretch you foot non-weight before you first step in the mornning. Keeps us informed.

wendyn on 10/07/00 at 11:39 (029999)

Ken (I am not one of the doctors).... sounds to me like you are a perfect patient. You are doing everything right, including seeing a doctor and not ignoring this. You may want to wait and see what your doctor says before deciding if a referral to a pod is necessary. Experiment with shoes, it seems to be a really individual thing - but the not going barefoot is a biggie.

Barbara TX on 10/07/00 at 12:31 (030002)

The famous Dr. Z of 'ask the doctor' fame here on heelspurs.com is right over the border in Woodbury, N.J. I don't think that's very far. I used to live in the Bear/Christiana area. B.

Denise E on 10/07/00 at 13:56 (030005)

Ken, I'm somewhat new to PF too (mid-July). Stretch, stretch, stretch, ditto on never going barefoot (not even in the shower). Cease all impact activity. Swimming is okay (I do Yoga but not all standing poses).

Get fitted with a good pair of semi-rigid (not rigid) orthotics. I have had mine since the end of September and have started walking again - very, very slowly and not for too long.

Ice initially but when your pain is more mild, you may want to consider some message therapy on your feet and legs (I think this is helping me too).

Good luck!! Keep in touch with the board, you can learn a lot.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/08/00 at 03:40 (030029)

Eary treat is the cure. So stretch, no bare feet, Stretching before you place weight on the foot is very important.I like the Personal Foot Trainers. Must find the cause and go from the there . Read Scott Robert online book. I would be very happy to evaluate you in personal if necessary. Wilimington is one of my favorite places. We are right over the Com. Barry Bridge. So read read read read there are some great people as you already know . I repeat get your shoe on before you first step in the morning . Stretch you foot non-weight before you first step in the mornning. Keeps us informed.