Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

boots, Acu-Flex, percussion massage

Posted by Nancy S. on 10/08/00 at 00:10 (030023)

Hi all,
Three good things happened this week -- maybe more!
I bought a pair of Matterhorn boots at a discount store for $60 that are $178 on the website, and they (so far) are terrific! Steel shank, safety toes, hold all my tendons and my general foot in the proper position. I'm thrilled with them (so far). Have had them for 4 days, so will update you a bit later. These boots are NOT for the dainty -- from the website, I gather they are either miners', combat, or electricians' boots -- and tonight when I went to see Hal Holbrook do Mark Twain there was no point in trying to show off any gold sox, because the boots are too high for that (10 inches). (By the way, tonight the benches were all taken up by 90-year-old ladies, both before and after the show, who were not about to budge an inch to let little punk me sit down.)
I may decorate these boots with 1940s shoe buckles, or I may let them be. I believe they were in fashion about 6 years ago, among the 15- to 17-year-old crowd.
With my physical therapist on medical leave, I haven't had PT for almost two weeks. Despair. My feet felt worse, and I stopped strengthening and stretching for two days -- fear of irritating them further. But I got brave (and I think smart), and returned to using the Acu-Flex after two days off -- and I'm back on the road. Feet feel stronger, more alive again, less pain. My general routine is to do strengthening with Acu-Flex; then massage; then do stretching with Acu-Flex; then ice. My feet feel like a million bucks afterward. (Anyone want to purchase them for that price)
To augment this, in lieu of PT, today I bought Judy's recommended HoMedic percussion massager (40 bucks at Walmart, which I usually avoid like the plague but we had to go there anyway to buy a WebTV printer). This is not like a little travel Conair hair dryer, as it looks in the photo, folks (or maybe it was just me; Judy, you fooled me!). It's Strong; it's not completely lightweight; it's about the size of a medium lobster buoy. But it's quite something -- it's powerful (you can control the amount), and my whole self vibrated from it. (It says not to use it before bed because it may delay sleep, and I believe it.) I think it's promising.
So that's it for me right now -- Acu-Flex, Matterhorn boots (but beloved Birks in the evening), and percussion massager, and no PT -- and the week has turned out pretty darn well.
You know, it's only 1 a.m. on Friday of Columbus Day Weekend. Where the heck are ya?
I hope you're all flowing with our slower-paced life right now and seeing brightness ahead, whatever form it takes.
Goodnight from Nancy

Re: boots, Acu-Flex, percussion massage

Nancy S. on 10/08/00 at 00:19 (030025)

Correction: the percussion massager is more the size of a SMALL lobster buoy, and that's only in length. I think the size of my Matterhorn boots made me momentarily prone to exaggeration.

Nancy N on 10/08/00 at 09:48 (030033)

Nancy (and all others using this massager)--

I saw it last night at BJ's Club, and thought about buying it. I'm a little confused, though--do you guys mostly use it on the calf muscles, or do you actually use it on your feet? I'm tempted, because I'm sure it would be great for my back, etc, on those really tense days, but I don't want to start using something on my feet that's just going to aggravate things. So--let me know how you've been using it, and what seems to work well! Thanks!

JudyS on 10/08/00 at 11:44 (030037)

Hi Nancy - I've been using the massager on both the calf muscles and my feet. It targets the calf muscles really well. I would advise two things - one, for the first several times you use it, use low to medium intensity. I, naturally, went right for the highest grade and ended up with sore feet! Now, though, it's OK. Second, as you've probably seen, the massager has two 'percussion' balls that produce the massage. I center one of them on and between my plantar tendons for perfect targeting however - you must be very careful to keep the 'ball' centered because it can be easy to catch a bit of skin between the ball and it's socket - OUCH! Otherwise, like NancyS, I'm pretty happy with it.

JudyS on 10/08/00 at 13:08 (030045)

Nancy - do you suppose that your return to some foot-exercising after a few days off sort of proves the point regarding activity? Meaning that too much rest produces stiffness and soreness? The obvious thing here is that your exercise is all non-weightbearing but still produces some flexibilty and blood-flow. How was Hal Holbrook, anyway?
Sorry about not providing a size-scale on that massager. You're right, it's a little bit bulky but I've learned to work around that because the trade-off is it's strength. For those who don't know what a lobster trap or it's relative size is, I'd say the massager's overall length is about that of a shoebox and the breadth of it's 'head' is about the width of a shoebox.

Nancy N on 10/08/00 at 16:09 (030052)

Thanks for the info, Judy. BTW, I've also seen it at Sam's Club now, and both places have it for $40.

Nancy S. on 10/08/00 at 17:07 (030054)

Yes, Judy, I think it does prove the need-to-keep-moving point, at least for me. I did figure out (after how long???) what was irritating my achilles tendons -- my hiking boots hit them in a really bad spot back there. After the aircast, that's what I've been wearing for walking around and they've practically put a permanent dent in each tendon, and I'm sure that's why the tendons got so sore last week. Then I got stiff from no Acu-Flex and thought I was going downhill. I should have continued the Acu-Flex, even if I used less pull or resistance to accommodate the extra painful tendons. Anyway, no harm done, it was only a couple of days and then I continued the stretching and strengthening exercises. And then I got these Matterhorn boots that don't cut into any tendons or ankles anywhere.
Nancy N and Judy, I'm having a few doubts about the percussion massager today. But it's probably just my situation. I can use it fine on the fascia, but today when I used it elsewhere I kept hitting sore tendons. I also made my PF-foot arch sore because I put it at high speed too! Low speed yesterday, so hey, today let's go all out and get cured in 24 hours! I'm not sure whether to keep it, though I do think it's probably good for the fascia if you don't blast it -- and Nancy, it seems great for back muscles and others -- my husband, whose work is very physical, used it right over his clothes yesterday, all up and down the arms and legs and back, and he loved it.
I guess for my stubborn sore tendons I might need something more fluid in motion. Do you think I'll end up with an array of different massage tools to hang on the wall and choose from depending on which little area I'm tackling? Our house is not big enough for all this stuff. Maybe I'll have to move my Foot Fair out to the barn!
Nancy

wanda morris on 10/10/00 at 13:07 (030178)

the boots sound like something i need to work in , where does one find them .

Nancy S. on 10/10/00 at 14:34 (030183)

Hi Wanda,
I found one pair by accident in a discount store (Marden's, in Maine).
I did a search on 'Matterhorn boots' afterward on the Net and it came up with several sites. One had its address on the site:
http://www.anchortex.com
click on catalog, then uniform footwear, then cove Matterhorn.
I couldn't find an address on another good site, but it's US Elite Gear, so I'm sure you can find it if you put it in for a search.
Of course you'll no doubt want to try some on -- maybe these sites, via email or phone, can tell you where your nearest place to buy is.
Best of luck.

Nancy S. on 10/08/00 at 00:19 (030025)

Correction: the percussion massager is more the size of a SMALL lobster buoy, and that's only in length. I think the size of my Matterhorn boots made me momentarily prone to exaggeration.

Nancy N on 10/08/00 at 09:48 (030033)

Nancy (and all others using this massager)--

I saw it last night at BJ's Club, and thought about buying it. I'm a little confused, though--do you guys mostly use it on the calf muscles, or do you actually use it on your feet? I'm tempted, because I'm sure it would be great for my back, etc, on those really tense days, but I don't want to start using something on my feet that's just going to aggravate things. So--let me know how you've been using it, and what seems to work well! Thanks!

JudyS on 10/08/00 at 11:44 (030037)

Hi Nancy - I've been using the massager on both the calf muscles and my feet. It targets the calf muscles really well. I would advise two things - one, for the first several times you use it, use low to medium intensity. I, naturally, went right for the highest grade and ended up with sore feet! Now, though, it's OK. Second, as you've probably seen, the massager has two 'percussion' balls that produce the massage. I center one of them on and between my plantar tendons for perfect targeting however - you must be very careful to keep the 'ball' centered because it can be easy to catch a bit of skin between the ball and it's socket - OUCH! Otherwise, like NancyS, I'm pretty happy with it.

JudyS on 10/08/00 at 13:08 (030045)

Nancy - do you suppose that your return to some foot-exercising after a few days off sort of proves the point regarding activity? Meaning that too much rest produces stiffness and soreness? The obvious thing here is that your exercise is all non-weightbearing but still produces some flexibilty and blood-flow. How was Hal Holbrook, anyway?
Sorry about not providing a size-scale on that massager. You're right, it's a little bit bulky but I've learned to work around that because the trade-off is it's strength. For those who don't know what a lobster trap or it's relative size is, I'd say the massager's overall length is about that of a shoebox and the breadth of it's 'head' is about the width of a shoebox.

Nancy N on 10/08/00 at 16:09 (030052)

Thanks for the info, Judy. BTW, I've also seen it at Sam's Club now, and both places have it for $40.

Nancy S. on 10/08/00 at 17:07 (030054)

Yes, Judy, I think it does prove the need-to-keep-moving point, at least for me. I did figure out (after how long???) what was irritating my achilles tendons -- my hiking boots hit them in a really bad spot back there. After the aircast, that's what I've been wearing for walking around and they've practically put a permanent dent in each tendon, and I'm sure that's why the tendons got so sore last week. Then I got stiff from no Acu-Flex and thought I was going downhill. I should have continued the Acu-Flex, even if I used less pull or resistance to accommodate the extra painful tendons. Anyway, no harm done, it was only a couple of days and then I continued the stretching and strengthening exercises. And then I got these Matterhorn boots that don't cut into any tendons or ankles anywhere.
Nancy N and Judy, I'm having a few doubts about the percussion massager today. But it's probably just my situation. I can use it fine on the fascia, but today when I used it elsewhere I kept hitting sore tendons. I also made my PF-foot arch sore because I put it at high speed too! Low speed yesterday, so hey, today let's go all out and get cured in 24 hours! I'm not sure whether to keep it, though I do think it's probably good for the fascia if you don't blast it -- and Nancy, it seems great for back muscles and others -- my husband, whose work is very physical, used it right over his clothes yesterday, all up and down the arms and legs and back, and he loved it.
I guess for my stubborn sore tendons I might need something more fluid in motion. Do you think I'll end up with an array of different massage tools to hang on the wall and choose from depending on which little area I'm tackling? Our house is not big enough for all this stuff. Maybe I'll have to move my Foot Fair out to the barn!
Nancy

wanda morris on 10/10/00 at 13:07 (030178)

the boots sound like something i need to work in , where does one find them .

Nancy S. on 10/10/00 at 14:34 (030183)

Hi Wanda,
I found one pair by accident in a discount store (Marden's, in Maine).
I did a search on 'Matterhorn boots' afterward on the Net and it came up with several sites. One had its address on the site:
http://www.anchortex.com
click on catalog, then uniform footwear, then cove Matterhorn.
I couldn't find an address on another good site, but it's US Elite Gear, so I'm sure you can find it if you put it in for a search.
Of course you'll no doubt want to try some on -- maybe these sites, via email or phone, can tell you where your nearest place to buy is.
Best of luck.