Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Complete Relief

Posted by KathyG on 10/09/00 at 10:29 (030089)

About two years ago, I obtained immediate relief from heel spur pain the first time I did both the Foot and Ankle Pain exercises contained in Pain Free by Pete Egoscue, and complete relief after six weeks. I then transitioned to the basic exercises contained in the same book. Only occasionally even feel the existence of the heel spur since then. This book is available in bookstores, etc. Previously, I suffered many months of pain and difficulty walking, and had one injection which provided temporary relief for a few weeks. I have no financial connection to this product.

Re: Complete Relief

Nancy N on 10/10/00 at 07:55 (030153)

Thanks for mentioning this book--just last night my dad was asking if I knew of any way he could find some PT-type exercises for his back, so we decided to check it out. I read through the section on feet and found it very interesting. He believes that problems with the feet are the result of musculoskeletal dysfunction, and that fixing the dysfunction (through the exercises he gives) will fix the feet.

He also makes the interesting claim that it's best to spend as much time as possible barefoot so that the feet do not become dependent on the shoes/inserts for support. I have to confess that I have often wondered if this is not the case, so it's refreshing to find someone who isn't saying that shoes and shoes alone are the answer. I suppose this makes him somewhat controversial, but I like to see both sides of the story, too.

For what it's worth...

Barb-NY on 10/10/00 at 12:34 (030174)

I'm in PT now and he makes me do all the stretches and exercises barefoot. He thinks it will help my foot muscles develop better. It doesn't hurt to go barefoot and the treatment is working...so there must be something to this

Nancy N on 10/10/00 at 16:35 (030190)

Yes, I find it interesting since the general feeling on the board is that you should never ever go barefoot. This is a big problem for me, since I would go barefoot 24/7 if I could get away with it (and if it wouldn't get so dang cold in the winter!). Nobody ever told me not to go barefoot until the orthotics didn't work for me, and then when we tried to help my feet adjust to those, I was told to behave myself (my pod knew I was itching to get out of those shoes!). I feel a litle exonerated now--I always wondered how bad bare feet could be for you, since we weren't born with shoes! I realize that our walking surfaces differ from the sorts of things our feet were intended to walk on, though, so there is probably some truth to both sides of the story.

Are you the same Barb who is in the Montefiore study? If so, how's it going?

Barb-NY on 10/10/00 at 19:42 (030229)

Yeah, it's me. I just had my first post-treatment meeting with Dr. Erlich. He asked me if the elbow was any better and I said 'nope'. Then I said, 'that's what happends when you get placebos'. He asked me how I knew I got the placebo. I told him that if I had gotten the real treatment, it would have worked. He then asked me how I know the treatment works. I told him that it works in Canada, Europe and Mexico, so it would also work in NY! Then I said, ' it may not have worked because they only gave the treaments for 5 minutes vs. 15-20 minutes for the other machines'. He didn't say anything. Maybe I went too far, but that's they way I can be sometimes.

He did tell me that they treated 9 patients prior to this study and 50% received relief. That's pretty low compared to the other machines.

He also said that they will un-blind the study and contact the placebo group in 6 months to offer the real treatment. I really hope I'm in the placebo group. Surgery is definately not an option. I would rather live with the pain.

So, how are you doing?

Nancy N on 10/10/00 at 21:13 (030240)

I'm doing OK. I had my first visit with him this past Friday. I was feeling somewhat better, and then stopped taking the celebrex (just out of curiosity) and haven't been able to work with the Acu-Flex very regularly lately, so I am a little worse now. I have started on the Celebrex again, though I'd rather not be taking anything. I was tempted to tell him I got the placebo but didn't know if that would kick me out of the study! As for the timing of the 'unveiling' of the placebo group, why is it that every time I ask, it gets longer? When I first asked Craig about it on the phone, the first time I spoke to him, he said it would be 3 or 4 months. Now it's 6. Is that 6 from today, or 6 from your first treatment, or...??? I really hope I'm in the placebo group, too--a friend of mine also went up and got the real thing, so based on her description of how it felt, both during and after, I'm about 99 44/100% sure I got the placebo. Figures, doesn't it? I like all the doctors there, though (wish they were a little closer to home, I'd adopt them permanently--if they could manage to get control of their waiting room/waiting time!).

john h on 10/11/00 at 17:45 (030312)

i have always had a question in my mind about the consensus opinion about 'never' going barefoot when you have PF. my thought is at some point you need to build strength back into the fasica so that it is not totally dependant on support. just a thought.

Re: Barefootin'

Kim B. on 10/11/00 at 21:24 (030337)

I would think there is a big difference in going barefoot occassionally and going barefoot all the time. Going barefoot on hard-a** ceramic floors (same a concrete) is what I suspect was the straw that broke the camels back and gave me PF. I was a typical, unknowing mom/wife who ran around on ceramic floors. I was definately on my feet alot, etc. I do wish I knew then, what I know now. I might have been able to avoid the whole PF side of what is wrong with me.

That is what I mean when I mention there needs to be better awareness re: foot health/problems. The fact that many people get over this in 3-4 months makes it not so important to some docs. But as you can see, many take 18 months and sometimes years to heal many of us. The medical establishment takes this illness too lightly, it's as if they don't know how dibilitating a bad case can be. :-(sigh.)

Regards, Kim B.

JudyS on 10/11/00 at 21:32 (030338)

well said, Kim :)
x

wendyn on 10/11/00 at 22:55 (030348)

Shhhhh....don't tell anyone.

I still go barefoot sometimes. I just tell everyone else not to do it.

I go barefoot in the shower and in the change room at the gym. Sometimes I walk around the house without my Birks. I rarely stand for very long like that because it hurts. Just once in a while though - it's nice.

Re: Barefoot stuff

Kim B. on 10/12/00 at 10:24 (030365)

Wendyn, get you some shower shoes for the gym.

I try very hard not to go barefoot on hard floors (or the shower. I even took the shower shoes with me on the silent retreat.) I have some berber carpet in parts of the house, and that doesn't feet so good barfoot. BUT the plush carpet in my bedroom, ohhh la la. That often feels good, depending on what my feet are up that day. :-) Kim B.

Barbara TX on 10/12/00 at 12:07 (030366)

I too sneak a few steps on bare feet - only about five or six but it feels nice and I want to keep the arches strong. I am interested in a retreat, but at this point, I can't go on a silent one, because whenever I stand up I yell !#@$#%$^%&%**^&%#!!!! This, I'm afraid, would unnerve even the Jesuits. B.

Barb-NY on 10/12/00 at 12:58 (030368)

I go barfoot alot. It actually feels better than my shoes sometimes, especially after a long day in them. I wear flat slippers around the house with no arch support. I wear flip-flops in the shower. I sometimes go around the offiec in my socks without shoes.

Nancy N on 10/10/00 at 07:55 (030153)

Thanks for mentioning this book--just last night my dad was asking if I knew of any way he could find some PT-type exercises for his back, so we decided to check it out. I read through the section on feet and found it very interesting. He believes that problems with the feet are the result of musculoskeletal dysfunction, and that fixing the dysfunction (through the exercises he gives) will fix the feet.

He also makes the interesting claim that it's best to spend as much time as possible barefoot so that the feet do not become dependent on the shoes/inserts for support. I have to confess that I have often wondered if this is not the case, so it's refreshing to find someone who isn't saying that shoes and shoes alone are the answer. I suppose this makes him somewhat controversial, but I like to see both sides of the story, too.

For what it's worth...

Barb-NY on 10/10/00 at 12:34 (030174)

I'm in PT now and he makes me do all the stretches and exercises barefoot. He thinks it will help my foot muscles develop better. It doesn't hurt to go barefoot and the treatment is working...so there must be something to this

Nancy N on 10/10/00 at 16:35 (030190)

Yes, I find it interesting since the general feeling on the board is that you should never ever go barefoot. This is a big problem for me, since I would go barefoot 24/7 if I could get away with it (and if it wouldn't get so dang cold in the winter!). Nobody ever told me not to go barefoot until the orthotics didn't work for me, and then when we tried to help my feet adjust to those, I was told to behave myself (my pod knew I was itching to get out of those shoes!). I feel a litle exonerated now--I always wondered how bad bare feet could be for you, since we weren't born with shoes! I realize that our walking surfaces differ from the sorts of things our feet were intended to walk on, though, so there is probably some truth to both sides of the story.

Are you the same Barb who is in the Montefiore study? If so, how's it going?

Barb-NY on 10/10/00 at 19:42 (030229)

Yeah, it's me. I just had my first post-treatment meeting with Dr. Erlich. He asked me if the elbow was any better and I said 'nope'. Then I said, 'that's what happends when you get placebos'. He asked me how I knew I got the placebo. I told him that if I had gotten the real treatment, it would have worked. He then asked me how I know the treatment works. I told him that it works in Canada, Europe and Mexico, so it would also work in NY! Then I said, ' it may not have worked because they only gave the treaments for 5 minutes vs. 15-20 minutes for the other machines'. He didn't say anything. Maybe I went too far, but that's they way I can be sometimes.

He did tell me that they treated 9 patients prior to this study and 50% received relief. That's pretty low compared to the other machines.

He also said that they will un-blind the study and contact the placebo group in 6 months to offer the real treatment. I really hope I'm in the placebo group. Surgery is definately not an option. I would rather live with the pain.

So, how are you doing?

Nancy N on 10/10/00 at 21:13 (030240)

I'm doing OK. I had my first visit with him this past Friday. I was feeling somewhat better, and then stopped taking the celebrex (just out of curiosity) and haven't been able to work with the Acu-Flex very regularly lately, so I am a little worse now. I have started on the Celebrex again, though I'd rather not be taking anything. I was tempted to tell him I got the placebo but didn't know if that would kick me out of the study! As for the timing of the 'unveiling' of the placebo group, why is it that every time I ask, it gets longer? When I first asked Craig about it on the phone, the first time I spoke to him, he said it would be 3 or 4 months. Now it's 6. Is that 6 from today, or 6 from your first treatment, or...??? I really hope I'm in the placebo group, too--a friend of mine also went up and got the real thing, so based on her description of how it felt, both during and after, I'm about 99 44/100% sure I got the placebo. Figures, doesn't it? I like all the doctors there, though (wish they were a little closer to home, I'd adopt them permanently--if they could manage to get control of their waiting room/waiting time!).

john h on 10/11/00 at 17:45 (030312)

i have always had a question in my mind about the consensus opinion about 'never' going barefoot when you have PF. my thought is at some point you need to build strength back into the fasica so that it is not totally dependant on support. just a thought.

Kim B. on 10/11/00 at 21:24 (030337)

I would think there is a big difference in going barefoot occassionally and going barefoot all the time. Going barefoot on hard-a** ceramic floors (same a concrete) is what I suspect was the straw that broke the camels back and gave me PF. I was a typical, unknowing mom/wife who ran around on ceramic floors. I was definately on my feet alot, etc. I do wish I knew then, what I know now. I might have been able to avoid the whole PF side of what is wrong with me.

That is what I mean when I mention there needs to be better awareness re: foot health/problems. The fact that many people get over this in 3-4 months makes it not so important to some docs. But as you can see, many take 18 months and sometimes years to heal many of us. The medical establishment takes this illness too lightly, it's as if they don't know how dibilitating a bad case can be. :-(sigh.)

Regards, Kim B.

JudyS on 10/11/00 at 21:32 (030338)

well said, Kim :)
x

wendyn on 10/11/00 at 22:55 (030348)

Shhhhh....don't tell anyone.

I still go barefoot sometimes. I just tell everyone else not to do it.

I go barefoot in the shower and in the change room at the gym. Sometimes I walk around the house without my Birks. I rarely stand for very long like that because it hurts. Just once in a while though - it's nice.

Kim B. on 10/12/00 at 10:24 (030365)

Wendyn, get you some shower shoes for the gym.

I try very hard not to go barefoot on hard floors (or the shower. I even took the shower shoes with me on the silent retreat.) I have some berber carpet in parts of the house, and that doesn't feet so good barfoot. BUT the plush carpet in my bedroom, ohhh la la. That often feels good, depending on what my feet are up that day. :-) Kim B.

Barbara TX on 10/12/00 at 12:07 (030366)

I too sneak a few steps on bare feet - only about five or six but it feels nice and I want to keep the arches strong. I am interested in a retreat, but at this point, I can't go on a silent one, because whenever I stand up I yell !#@$#%$^%&%**^&%#!!!! This, I'm afraid, would unnerve even the Jesuits. B.

Barb-NY on 10/12/00 at 12:58 (030368)

I go barfoot alot. It actually feels better than my shoes sometimes, especially after a long day in them. I wear flat slippers around the house with no arch support. I wear flip-flops in the shower. I sometimes go around the offiec in my socks without shoes.