Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping ideas

Posted by Coach AL on 10/09/00 at 23:10 (030143)

I have a 16 year old who plays football on my team, who is a sufferer of this pain. I told him I would find some tapping ideas, Thank you. I do have a question, have you tried to use Tuffskin ( sticky spray) and pre-wrap? If so, does it help?

Re: Taping ideas

JudyS on 10/10/00 at 12:15 (030169)

Coach - I'd had the taping for plantar fasciitis several times. There are some good photos on this website - my favorite is the one that is sort of like a figure-8 with one end open. One time a nurse did my taping and used the spray you mentioned. He also wrapped tape completely around my foot including the top where there was no pre-wrap. Naturally, feet swell a bit and by the end of the day I was in some serious pain because my feet swelled but the tape didn't! It stuck fast to the top of my foot with the help of that spray and the end result was that the tape tore the skin off the top of my foot. I actually still have the scars from that! So, yes the spray does its job, and no, don't use tape all the way around with no pre-wrap!

Re: Taping ideas...........don't let this slide

kate on 10/10/00 at 17:27 (030199)

A small suggestion, please make sure this young man gets evaluated by a podiatrist or atleast an orthopedic if he hasn't already done so.
Just taping might protect the area from further trauma, but will not get rid of the underlying problem. If this young man is having heel pain, he may in fact have a stress fracture, tendonitits, or something more.

Richard C.Ped on 10/11/00 at 08:13 (030270)

Coach Al,
I have to agree with Kate. Taping is a temporary relief for pain. There could be a more serious underlying condition to tend to. I have treated so many high school and college athletes with custom inserts, only after a physician has seen them first. The school athletic trainers I work with really know their stuff. I hope you have a good trainer as well as team physician. The custom inserts can also be worn in the athletes game shoes as well as regular shoes.
Richard C.Ped

Julie F on 10/12/00 at 08:38 (030360)

I've just returned from two weeks vacation during which I had lots of time to read and re-read Scott's book and experiment with taping methods. I like the first very simple one, in which two strips of tape connect the heel and the ball of the foot. I find this as effective as the more elaborate method my podiatrist used.

I will now also try the 'figure 8' technique you ]ike, Judy.

Taping is more than relief from pain. As I understand it, the point is that it rests the fascia by substituting the tape's tension for the tension the fascia has lost due to tearing. The rest and the relief from pain are indications that healing of the tear is taking place. It might not be so in all cases, but it seems to be working for me (touch wood).

But I agree with Kate that the boy should in any case be properly evaluated and the underlying problem dealt with.

JudyS on 10/10/00 at 12:15 (030169)

Coach - I'd had the taping for plantar fasciitis several times. There are some good photos on this website - my favorite is the one that is sort of like a figure-8 with one end open. One time a nurse did my taping and used the spray you mentioned. He also wrapped tape completely around my foot including the top where there was no pre-wrap. Naturally, feet swell a bit and by the end of the day I was in some serious pain because my feet swelled but the tape didn't! It stuck fast to the top of my foot with the help of that spray and the end result was that the tape tore the skin off the top of my foot. I actually still have the scars from that! So, yes the spray does its job, and no, don't use tape all the way around with no pre-wrap!

Re: Taping ideas...........don't let this slide

kate on 10/10/00 at 17:27 (030199)

A small suggestion, please make sure this young man gets evaluated by a podiatrist or atleast an orthopedic if he hasn't already done so.
Just taping might protect the area from further trauma, but will not get rid of the underlying problem. If this young man is having heel pain, he may in fact have a stress fracture, tendonitits, or something more.

Richard C.Ped on 10/11/00 at 08:13 (030270)

Coach Al,
I have to agree with Kate. Taping is a temporary relief for pain. There could be a more serious underlying condition to tend to. I have treated so many high school and college athletes with custom inserts, only after a physician has seen them first. The school athletic trainers I work with really know their stuff. I hope you have a good trainer as well as team physician. The custom inserts can also be worn in the athletes game shoes as well as regular shoes.
Richard C.Ped

Julie F on 10/12/00 at 08:38 (030360)

I've just returned from two weeks vacation during which I had lots of time to read and re-read Scott's book and experiment with taping methods. I like the first very simple one, in which two strips of tape connect the heel and the ball of the foot. I find this as effective as the more elaborate method my podiatrist used.

I will now also try the 'figure 8' technique you ]ike, Judy.

Taping is more than relief from pain. As I understand it, the point is that it rests the fascia by substituting the tape's tension for the tension the fascia has lost due to tearing. The rest and the relief from pain are indications that healing of the tear is taking place. It might not be so in all cases, but it seems to be working for me (touch wood).

But I agree with Kate that the boy should in any case be properly evaluated and the underlying problem dealt with.