Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascia and Heel Spur Surgery Scheduled Next Week

Posted by Rose Core on 10/10/00 at 12:15 (030170)

I have PF and heel spurs in both heels. L heel 5 mm; R heel 1-1/2 cm.
I have high insteps and arches and have injured my ankle many times over the years because of the instability. PF started in 1987 and acted up again in 1998. I have tried orhotics, taping, anti-inflammatories, shots, whirlpool and ultrasound.

Am currently scheduled for surgery next Tuesday for PF and removal of heel spurs. Yesterday I got a second opinion by a doctor in practice 45 years. He seemed very knowledgeable and stressed that it was necessary to remove the nerve and that I should be sure to check that my current doctor is planning to do this. He says that he believes in treating the problem and not just the symptoms. So now I am confused. Can you please tell me if removal of the nerve is a necessary part of the procedure for PF. Thanks.

Re: Plantar Fascia and Heel Spur Surgery Scheduled Next Week

JudyS on 10/10/00 at 12:46 (030177)

Rose - I'm sticking my nose in here on the Doctor's board but I have no doctorish advice. I'm just hoping that you'll keep us posted on this query regarding removal of the nerve. Good luck with the surgery!
x

Barbara TX on 10/10/00 at 13:11 (030179)

Rose - I have tried everything that you have, and I'm still in pain, and my doctor recommends surgery. However, I have read a lot about a new treatment called ESWT (Extracorcoreal Shock Wave Therapy) that has a very high rate of success for heel spur pain. I would read more about it on this site (check out the main page) and discuss it with your doctor. I'm having it done soon and I'll post the results. Good luck! B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/10/00 at 14:21 (030182)

Rose Core. Now that you have found this site, you know there is an alternative treatment to surgery for plantar fasciitis/ heel spurs. It is not standard practice to cut the nerve as this nerve continues to other parts of the foot. If you try ESWT you might get the relief you are looking for. If it doesn't work you can always go for the surgery. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/11/00 at 07:31 (030267)

I don't want to sound stupid but this nerve removal has me concerned which nerve, what for and what is the name of the nerve. I don't want someone taking out your medial or lateral plantar nerves. May be the Dr. Baxter's nerve if it is damaged but very hard to even find. Ask questions !!!

Becky H on 10/20/00 at 11:26 (030919)

Hi Rose, how about an update, and let us know how you are doing.

JudyS on 10/10/00 at 12:46 (030177)

Rose - I'm sticking my nose in here on the Doctor's board but I have no doctorish advice. I'm just hoping that you'll keep us posted on this query regarding removal of the nerve. Good luck with the surgery!
x

Barbara TX on 10/10/00 at 13:11 (030179)

Rose - I have tried everything that you have, and I'm still in pain, and my doctor recommends surgery. However, I have read a lot about a new treatment called ESWT (Extracorcoreal Shock Wave Therapy) that has a very high rate of success for heel spur pain. I would read more about it on this site (check out the main page) and discuss it with your doctor. I'm having it done soon and I'll post the results. Good luck! B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/10/00 at 14:21 (030182)

Rose Core. Now that you have found this site, you know there is an alternative treatment to surgery for plantar fasciitis/ heel spurs. It is not standard practice to cut the nerve as this nerve continues to other parts of the foot. If you try ESWT you might get the relief you are looking for. If it doesn't work you can always go for the surgery. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/11/00 at 07:31 (030267)

I don't want to sound stupid but this nerve removal has me concerned which nerve, what for and what is the name of the nerve. I don't want someone taking out your medial or lateral plantar nerves. May be the Dr. Baxter's nerve if it is damaged but very hard to even find. Ask questions !!!

Becky H on 10/20/00 at 11:26 (030919)

Hi Rose, how about an update, and let us know how you are doing.