Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Deep Pain moving farther up leg... Spookey

Posted by Beverly on 10/10/00 at 16:24 (030186)

Dear Docs,

Although my feet are slightly better, this inner ankle tendonitis is
hurting more and now something new is going on. I am at my wits end.
For the past several days, the pain has traveled up the back of my legs.

On the right leg, the pain is behind my knee, towards the righthand side, where that boney tendon that connects the lower leg to upper leg is. When it is really bad, it travels farther up my thigh.
But there is NO swelling, no redness, and no hot places. But it hurt enough to wake me up last night. It is a Deep pain/ache.

On the left leg, it is a similar kind of pain but along the inner ankle and traveling up the inner side of calf. That is the ankle with tendonistis.

It calms down some when I stay off it, and it back with gang busters, when on my feet.

Last week PT put me on the recumbant bike for five minutes 3x a week and the Total Gym for five minutes 3x a week. This new (traveling up the leg) pain began after a week of this routine.

My PT says that when he massages the posterior tibial tendon on both ankles, it is squishy all the way up to my calf. He thinks I need to be doing this strengthening program in addition to stretching to regain normal use and get past PF and tendonitis.

I don't see my sports med doc again until November. It takes a month to get into see him. Do you think this sounds like more of my ongoing misery, or does it sound circulatory?

Thank you,
Beverly

Re: Deep Pain moving farther up leg... Spookey

Dr. Biehler on 10/10/00 at 16:50 (030195)

It does not sound like circulation. Have you reviewed all your past medications looking for ones that might effect tendons.

wendyn on 10/10/00 at 18:31 (030209)

Beverly - as you know I'm not a doctor. I can see Dr B replied but I haven't read his response yet.

Your symptoms sound very much like mine last year. The boney spot on the outside of the knee sounds like the peroneal nerve area (I think that's what it's called). The inner ankle sounds like the TTS area, and the back of the leg - the sciatic nerve.

What was happening to me was that ALL the nerves in my legs seemed to be affected by what was happening in my feet. All these spots were hypersensitve to touch. Sometimes they burned - but mostly it was just intense pain.

I really think this is worth mentioning to the doctor - and I'd lay right off the bike and physical activity for a bit. Those nerves are very easiy irritated.

Please let me know what happens.

Beverly on 10/10/00 at 19:02 (030221)

Dr. B.,

Thank you. The only medication I am aware of from my past that might have an effect on tendons was Floxin. But I took that over two years ago. I am not taking anything new. The only new thing in my program is moving to the exercise equipment in PT. It takes an act of God to see the sports med doc in less than several weeks time, but I did get an appointment with my internist tomorrow.

Wendy, I suspect you are right that this is all interconnected. I can't believe that what began as a simple strain on a track seven months ago has now esculated into these multiple problems. I would suspect myself a canidate for Fibroymyalgia, but I have plenty of energy and a clear head.

Thanks again,
Beverly

PS to Wendy: I have ordered several winter shoes in hopes I find a clog that gives heel support without aggrevating my dorsal bunion. If I find one, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I've ordered some Polartec socks from Lands End. Laugh if you want, but it's 40 outside, and this Texan is freezing. I went to Walmart to look for long johns and EVERY PAIR was sold out in my size.

Dr. Biehler on 10/10/00 at 19:30 (030227)

If you get a book on anatomy, it sounds like you can follow the pain up the various muscles and tendons. I wouldn't be supprised to find it all stems from the floxin you took, even if it was two years ago. This is exspecially true if you were taking any steroids around the same time. Dr. B.

JudyS on 10/10/00 at 19:44 (030230)

Beverly - when I was first doing the strengthening exercises in PT, after about 3 sessions I began to think I had Achilles Tendonitis and one or two other 'strange' new 'itis's'. Then it dawned on me that I had sore muscles from the excercises! It was an indefinable soreness here and there. I really laughed at myself when I realized how long it'd been since I'd had a sore muscle from exercising - so long that I didn't recognize it. I did back off of the weight for a while and no longer have that soreness. Maybe that's the root of your new aches.

Re: Floxin

Beverly on 10/10/00 at 20:36 (030236)

Well, I'd hate to think it was the Floxin but I'd say you may be on to something because I took three rounds of Floxin over a two month period. But no steriods.
During the time I was taking the Floxin, my neck and shoulder problems began. They have since gotten to a manageable level after much PT and dedicated stretching.
The intial Plantar Fascia injury was about a year after the Floxin.
But as I said, this new pain is almost two years (actually 1 year, seven months since the Floxin).
But if it is the Floxin, what could I do about it now?

Thank you,
Beverly

wendyn on 10/10/00 at 21:58 (030251)

I did laugh! Out loud.

:)

40 F is equal to 4.4 C. That's pretty funny if you're cold.

It's really funny that it's been really warm here again lately...probably around 70 or so during the day.

Our winters usually hover around -20 C (-4F) and it'll dip down to -35 C (-31F). My friend moved to northern Manitoba. She will see days as cold as -50C (-58F). I found a handy metric converter on the net...can you tell?

I would like any feedback you have on cold weather shoes. I have not had the time or motivation to go shoe shopping. I have one pair of Birks that I wear. It's sad really that I've only looked once for shoes recently - but it's SO FRUSTRATING.

My bunion has been bugging me lately. It seems to do this once in a while - but I don't remember it happening like this since I stopped wearing 'real' shoes. I don't know what the problem is, but it is sore. Since I've had it operated on once already, the mobility is already restriced (I don't remember how much but I know it's less than 75% so it affects my funny walk a lot.).

I will be most interested to hear about your shoe shopping. I will also be interested to hear if your doctor thinks you have nerve involvement. Does it feel like nerve pain?

wendyn on 10/10/00 at 22:00 (030252)

Dr B - I'm interested in your thoughts on this. When my nerve pain was bad - I could actually trace the path of the tibial nerve all along my inner leg and through it's branches in my foot - and back up my leg. Too bad I wasn't doing some tests on anatomy at the time.....

Barbara TX on 10/10/00 at 23:09 (030255)

Bev - I too had this spooky pain that woke me up. It made me want to massage my calf really deeply - and even the hollow of my knee. One night, actually, it reached my rear. Massage helped it a good deal. It was a deep nervy sort of pain, and I theorized that the enternal edema in my heel was compressing the S2 nerve up the back of my leg... hmmm? All my neurology reports were 100% normal, but this pain was transient and greater at night - which made me think that fluctuations in swelling caused it. It gradually receeded as I went from the 'super-kill-me-now-chronic' stage to the 'ouch-I'm just-gimping-around-going-nowhere' stage. All my leg pain is gone (right now, can't jinx myself)... you made a lovely point about being in a position to help someone because you have been through the yeast thing - one day you'll be just as helpful and consoling to someone who comes to you with foot pain. Hang in there, B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/11/00 at 06:24 (030263)

I think you should contact the FDA to get futher information. Their report says it can effect shoulder, achillies, etc. It can cause rupture of tendon prolonged disability. Dr. B.

alan k on 10/11/00 at 10:20 (030278)

My doctor dismissed the floxin hypothesis saying the side effects would show up soon after taking the drug and subside after desisting.

Doctors can seem so convincing when you are sitting there in your underwear listening to them. But I really wonder what the truth is about those drugs.

alan k

Re: Doctor said pain is at Hamstrings/More Floxin...

Beverly on 10/11/00 at 14:36 (030300)

Dr. B & all,

Saw internist today. He said the pain is coming from the Hamstring area... probably aggrevated the tendons with this new exercise program... ease up from it. (Total Gym and Bike)

I'm more than willing to contact the FDA. I doubt I could prove anything. But it's probably worth being one more report to help discourage doctors from routinely prescribing this drug. I have now mentioned this Floxin thing to several different doctors over the last year; one thought Floxin was a strong contender worth investigating. The other one thought it was doubtful. They both said they no longer routinely prescribe Floxin.

There is a book out called 'Bitter Pills.' It's all about Floxin. Really spookey reading.

Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Biehler on 10/11/00 at 15:14 (030305)

Alan, The side effects of floxin can be long lasting. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/10/00 at 16:50 (030195)

It does not sound like circulation. Have you reviewed all your past medications looking for ones that might effect tendons.

wendyn on 10/10/00 at 18:31 (030209)

Beverly - as you know I'm not a doctor. I can see Dr B replied but I haven't read his response yet.

Your symptoms sound very much like mine last year. The boney spot on the outside of the knee sounds like the peroneal nerve area (I think that's what it's called). The inner ankle sounds like the TTS area, and the back of the leg - the sciatic nerve.

What was happening to me was that ALL the nerves in my legs seemed to be affected by what was happening in my feet. All these spots were hypersensitve to touch. Sometimes they burned - but mostly it was just intense pain.

I really think this is worth mentioning to the doctor - and I'd lay right off the bike and physical activity for a bit. Those nerves are very easiy irritated.

Please let me know what happens.

Beverly on 10/10/00 at 19:02 (030221)

Dr. B.,

Thank you. The only medication I am aware of from my past that might have an effect on tendons was Floxin. But I took that over two years ago. I am not taking anything new. The only new thing in my program is moving to the exercise equipment in PT. It takes an act of God to see the sports med doc in less than several weeks time, but I did get an appointment with my internist tomorrow.

Wendy, I suspect you are right that this is all interconnected. I can't believe that what began as a simple strain on a track seven months ago has now esculated into these multiple problems. I would suspect myself a canidate for Fibroymyalgia, but I have plenty of energy and a clear head.

Thanks again,
Beverly

PS to Wendy: I have ordered several winter shoes in hopes I find a clog that gives heel support without aggrevating my dorsal bunion. If I find one, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I've ordered some Polartec socks from Lands End. Laugh if you want, but it's 40 outside, and this Texan is freezing. I went to Walmart to look for long johns and EVERY PAIR was sold out in my size.

Dr. Biehler on 10/10/00 at 19:30 (030227)

If you get a book on anatomy, it sounds like you can follow the pain up the various muscles and tendons. I wouldn't be supprised to find it all stems from the floxin you took, even if it was two years ago. This is exspecially true if you were taking any steroids around the same time. Dr. B.

JudyS on 10/10/00 at 19:44 (030230)

Beverly - when I was first doing the strengthening exercises in PT, after about 3 sessions I began to think I had Achilles Tendonitis and one or two other 'strange' new 'itis's'. Then it dawned on me that I had sore muscles from the excercises! It was an indefinable soreness here and there. I really laughed at myself when I realized how long it'd been since I'd had a sore muscle from exercising - so long that I didn't recognize it. I did back off of the weight for a while and no longer have that soreness. Maybe that's the root of your new aches.

Beverly on 10/10/00 at 20:36 (030236)

Well, I'd hate to think it was the Floxin but I'd say you may be on to something because I took three rounds of Floxin over a two month period. But no steriods.
During the time I was taking the Floxin, my neck and shoulder problems began. They have since gotten to a manageable level after much PT and dedicated stretching.
The intial Plantar Fascia injury was about a year after the Floxin.
But as I said, this new pain is almost two years (actually 1 year, seven months since the Floxin).
But if it is the Floxin, what could I do about it now?

Thank you,
Beverly

wendyn on 10/10/00 at 21:58 (030251)

I did laugh! Out loud.

:)

40 F is equal to 4.4 C. That's pretty funny if you're cold.

It's really funny that it's been really warm here again lately...probably around 70 or so during the day.

Our winters usually hover around -20 C (-4F) and it'll dip down to -35 C (-31F). My friend moved to northern Manitoba. She will see days as cold as -50C (-58F). I found a handy metric converter on the net...can you tell?

I would like any feedback you have on cold weather shoes. I have not had the time or motivation to go shoe shopping. I have one pair of Birks that I wear. It's sad really that I've only looked once for shoes recently - but it's SO FRUSTRATING.

My bunion has been bugging me lately. It seems to do this once in a while - but I don't remember it happening like this since I stopped wearing 'real' shoes. I don't know what the problem is, but it is sore. Since I've had it operated on once already, the mobility is already restriced (I don't remember how much but I know it's less than 75% so it affects my funny walk a lot.).

I will be most interested to hear about your shoe shopping. I will also be interested to hear if your doctor thinks you have nerve involvement. Does it feel like nerve pain?

wendyn on 10/10/00 at 22:00 (030252)

Dr B - I'm interested in your thoughts on this. When my nerve pain was bad - I could actually trace the path of the tibial nerve all along my inner leg and through it's branches in my foot - and back up my leg. Too bad I wasn't doing some tests on anatomy at the time.....

Barbara TX on 10/10/00 at 23:09 (030255)

Bev - I too had this spooky pain that woke me up. It made me want to massage my calf really deeply - and even the hollow of my knee. One night, actually, it reached my rear. Massage helped it a good deal. It was a deep nervy sort of pain, and I theorized that the enternal edema in my heel was compressing the S2 nerve up the back of my leg... hmmm? All my neurology reports were 100% normal, but this pain was transient and greater at night - which made me think that fluctuations in swelling caused it. It gradually receeded as I went from the 'super-kill-me-now-chronic' stage to the 'ouch-I'm just-gimping-around-going-nowhere' stage. All my leg pain is gone (right now, can't jinx myself)... you made a lovely point about being in a position to help someone because you have been through the yeast thing - one day you'll be just as helpful and consoling to someone who comes to you with foot pain. Hang in there, B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/11/00 at 06:24 (030263)

I think you should contact the FDA to get futher information. Their report says it can effect shoulder, achillies, etc. It can cause rupture of tendon prolonged disability. Dr. B.

alan k on 10/11/00 at 10:20 (030278)

My doctor dismissed the floxin hypothesis saying the side effects would show up soon after taking the drug and subside after desisting.

Doctors can seem so convincing when you are sitting there in your underwear listening to them. But I really wonder what the truth is about those drugs.

alan k

Re: Doctor said pain is at Hamstrings/More Floxin...

Beverly on 10/11/00 at 14:36 (030300)

Dr. B & all,

Saw internist today. He said the pain is coming from the Hamstring area... probably aggrevated the tendons with this new exercise program... ease up from it. (Total Gym and Bike)

I'm more than willing to contact the FDA. I doubt I could prove anything. But it's probably worth being one more report to help discourage doctors from routinely prescribing this drug. I have now mentioned this Floxin thing to several different doctors over the last year; one thought Floxin was a strong contender worth investigating. The other one thought it was doubtful. They both said they no longer routinely prescribe Floxin.

There is a book out called 'Bitter Pills.' It's all about Floxin. Really spookey reading.

Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Biehler on 10/11/00 at 15:14 (030305)

Alan, The side effects of floxin can be long lasting. Dr. B.