Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Miserable day. Lots of pain.. New, going up leg.

Posted by Beverly on 10/10/00 at 16:33 (030189)

I am absolutely miserable. I'm trying to limit my computer time today.
My latest sad tale is posted over on the doctor board. If anyone has time to read it, I'd be interested in knowing if any of the rest of you get pain that travels up the back of your legs.

I've been having a very, bad, bad day.

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Miserable day. Lots of pain.. New, going up leg.

BarbSCO on 10/10/00 at 16:49 (030194)

I often have pain up my leg but it usually travels along the side of my shinbone up to the knee. It feels like it needs to be stretched but no amount of stretching ever helps. I think the only thing that helps me is deep tissue massage. She does a fascial release that I can feel from my knee to my toes. When I am not with her and I need relief, I have used a Chinese liquid called Dit Da Jong. It smells weird but has a comforting effect. I rub it into my entire leg and try to use my thumbs where the extreme pain is occurring. My husband hates the smell of it so she has suggested the massage therapy version of Sesame Oil. It can be found at health food stores. I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. Believe me, I empathize and wish you the best.

Barb in CO

Kate on 10/10/00 at 17:36 (030202)

Whenever your pain travels to another area, you can usually assume that muscles groups are involved, unless you have some underlying neurological problems. Either way, you will want to address it with your physician.

john h on 10/10/00 at 18:11 (030207)

barb: have you ever thought about shingles as a cause of your pain around the shin.

john h on 10/10/00 at 18:37 (030215)

kate: i meant to say 'shin splints ' for the pain in front of you leg not shingles.

wendyn on 10/10/00 at 18:40 (030218)

Kay.

I was really wondering about that one.

Re: Leg Pain - since my life is already an open book to you guys..

Kim B. on 10/10/00 at 19:17 (030223)

John, and others, I have 'shingles' on my left buttock and it does actually refer pain down my leg, past my knee and over my shins somtimes. I have also had some 'siatica' problems in the past too, and that also refers pain down the leg. The nerves for involved in both of these run near the back, hip and leg muscles. It is all very inter-connected. Muscles can actually spasam so badly that they choke off the nerves running through them.

Beverly, I got help with my sciatica problems from yoga stretches and massage. Alan's Product might be good for helping those of us with weak muscles do yoga stretches because I imagine the support might help us go through the movements smoothly, and not 'jerky'. Does this make sense? Anyway, I have a yoga video and yoga has helped with my sciatica problems. Also do a search on Piraformis (maybe spelled Piriformis (?), and investigate the piriformis syndrome.

Good luck, you may need a prescription to help break the pain cycle, and or the spasam if it is gone too far. Using icepacks will slow down the painful sights, muscle relaxers, warm baths/showers, etc. Nurse it till you can get some help. Don't wait till Friday, you'll end up in the ER for lack of Doctor availability. Go ahead and get this calmed down now.

Regards, Kim B.

Beverly on 10/10/00 at 20:48 (030238)

Can't get into see Sports Medicine Guru on short notice, but I do have an appointment with my internist tomorrow.

Sciatic pain makes sense because this goes all the way up to my butt.

Dr. B. suggested the Floxin I took two years ago may be at the root of my continued misery. (It's an antibiotic that has been documented in some weird and lingering side effects sometimes occuring months after having taken the drug. Tendon problems being one of them.)

Kim, I have some very 'easy' yoga videos. They bother my neck. But what I do have and do regularly are my various PT stretches I've amassed after two years of getting PT for various parts of my body. And my current PT has me doing back stretches along with my foot/ankle stretches.

I like the idea of the Acu-Flex. I'll probably end up ordering it. I just spent all my $$ ordering three pairs of winter shoes in the hopes that at least one of them will fit. I ordered the Boston clog a size larger than my sandals, Dansko professional, and another Dansko clog. I will be THRILLED if even one of them will fit.

Thankfully, I have some muscle relaxers. I have to giveup my Vioxx for a week starting tomorrow since I'm having the minor GYN surgery. With my luck, the GYN won't find any endometrosis or anything else and it'll just be 'one more mystery.' At least with the Plantar Fascitis and Tendonitis, I was given a clear diagnosis by each doctor I've seen, all agreeing I have PF, even if they diasgreed on how to treat it.

In getting ready for putting the house on the market and getting a small apartment back home in DFW, I had a antique/junk store guy over today. So, I've begun my countdown to get ready to put the house on the market, and I made enough $$$ to order three pairs of shoes.

See ya. Thanks for your support,
Beverly

Re: Ask your doc about sciatic, piriformis syndrome, and referred pain

Kim B. on 10/10/00 at 21:40 (030248)

I did a search, there is info on 'Piriformis' which seems to me to be a cousin to sciatica pain, or something like that.

Ask your doc about sciatic pain, priformis syndrome and possible reffered pain situation.

I take it very easy with the neck yoga. I am very moderate and skip the parts that are uncomfortable. The Piriformis is situation seems to be helped by proper hip stretching.

I have discontinued my PFT for now. To many mechanical things going on that I couldn't pin point. You may need to consider if your hips are out of wack that can refer pain down the leg too, btw. Stress could be causing a chain reaction down your back, butt, hips, legs, etc. In my case it was coming up from my feet, and down from my back/hip. It is tough. Try to let things settle down.

Hang in there. Your internist will be able to help.

Kim B.

Re: Also, try icing those painful spots to cool the painful nerve down.

Kim B. on 10/10/00 at 21:51 (030250)

Try icing the painful parts, low back, low low back, front hip, back hip, thigh, side of knee, you know, the painful spots. Just lay down and move the icepack around a bit. Don't over do it on anyone spot, You don't want to frostbite the nerve and anger it more. Hopefully, this will help with the pain, and you may get a better night's sleep. Kim B.

john h on 10/11/00 at 09:16 (030271)

some common procedures a doc will use to test for low back problems: (1) walk across the room on heels only (2) walk across the room toes only (3) bend forward and backwards from the hips. If any of these cause pain in the legs it may warrant further test on your low back..

Re: Saw doctor. It's the hamstrings.

Beverly on 10/11/00 at 14:25 (030296)

Thanks for all your support guys.

I saw my internist. He poked around and quickly found the area behind that knee that I could barely stand for him to press. He said it looks like the hamstring tendon. Probably only strained it. Suggested I lay off the Total Gym and bike for awhile until this calms down. Ice...
I just don't seem to respond well to even the slightest weightbearing exercise. I don't think the bike brought this on, but I suspect the Total Gym, because it is the hardest exercise for me to do. The Total Gym puts you at partial weightbearing. Now, even my stretches hurt, and they usually don't hurt.

John, you are a rip! I can just see myself trying to let the doctor test me out by walking on my heels or toes. I'd be in the hospital ER!

Kim, like you, I am not using the PFT at the moment. I have not given up hope for it in the future but at the moment, I'm not up for it. And I'm still watching to see how other people respond to the Acu-Flex. It is less intimidating looking because it looks so similar to the towel stretches I do every day.

See ya,
Beverly

Kim B. on 10/11/00 at 14:34 (030299)

Great, now you know what is going on, and you can work on it.

I've been asked by two doctors to walk on my heels, I say 'no way', it's not worth the flair up I'll get from it. I simply can't do it, so I don't even try. I can walk on my tip toes for them though.

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 10/11/00 at 15:08 (030304)

the old heel and toe walk is a standard test for folks with back problems.

BarbSCO on 10/10/00 at 16:49 (030194)

I often have pain up my leg but it usually travels along the side of my shinbone up to the knee. It feels like it needs to be stretched but no amount of stretching ever helps. I think the only thing that helps me is deep tissue massage. She does a fascial release that I can feel from my knee to my toes. When I am not with her and I need relief, I have used a Chinese liquid called Dit Da Jong. It smells weird but has a comforting effect. I rub it into my entire leg and try to use my thumbs where the extreme pain is occurring. My husband hates the smell of it so she has suggested the massage therapy version of Sesame Oil. It can be found at health food stores. I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. Believe me, I empathize and wish you the best.

Barb in CO

Kate on 10/10/00 at 17:36 (030202)

Whenever your pain travels to another area, you can usually assume that muscles groups are involved, unless you have some underlying neurological problems. Either way, you will want to address it with your physician.

john h on 10/10/00 at 18:11 (030207)

barb: have you ever thought about shingles as a cause of your pain around the shin.

john h on 10/10/00 at 18:37 (030215)

kate: i meant to say 'shin splints ' for the pain in front of you leg not shingles.

wendyn on 10/10/00 at 18:40 (030218)

Kay.

I was really wondering about that one.

Re: Leg Pain - since my life is already an open book to you guys..

Kim B. on 10/10/00 at 19:17 (030223)

John, and others, I have 'shingles' on my left buttock and it does actually refer pain down my leg, past my knee and over my shins somtimes. I have also had some 'siatica' problems in the past too, and that also refers pain down the leg. The nerves for involved in both of these run near the back, hip and leg muscles. It is all very inter-connected. Muscles can actually spasam so badly that they choke off the nerves running through them.

Beverly, I got help with my sciatica problems from yoga stretches and massage. Alan's Product might be good for helping those of us with weak muscles do yoga stretches because I imagine the support might help us go through the movements smoothly, and not 'jerky'. Does this make sense? Anyway, I have a yoga video and yoga has helped with my sciatica problems. Also do a search on Piraformis (maybe spelled Piriformis (?), and investigate the piriformis syndrome.

Good luck, you may need a prescription to help break the pain cycle, and or the spasam if it is gone too far. Using icepacks will slow down the painful sights, muscle relaxers, warm baths/showers, etc. Nurse it till you can get some help. Don't wait till Friday, you'll end up in the ER for lack of Doctor availability. Go ahead and get this calmed down now.

Regards, Kim B.

Beverly on 10/10/00 at 20:48 (030238)

Can't get into see Sports Medicine Guru on short notice, but I do have an appointment with my internist tomorrow.

Sciatic pain makes sense because this goes all the way up to my butt.

Dr. B. suggested the Floxin I took two years ago may be at the root of my continued misery. (It's an antibiotic that has been documented in some weird and lingering side effects sometimes occuring months after having taken the drug. Tendon problems being one of them.)

Kim, I have some very 'easy' yoga videos. They bother my neck. But what I do have and do regularly are my various PT stretches I've amassed after two years of getting PT for various parts of my body. And my current PT has me doing back stretches along with my foot/ankle stretches.

I like the idea of the Acu-Flex. I'll probably end up ordering it. I just spent all my $$ ordering three pairs of winter shoes in the hopes that at least one of them will fit. I ordered the Boston clog a size larger than my sandals, Dansko professional, and another Dansko clog. I will be THRILLED if even one of them will fit.

Thankfully, I have some muscle relaxers. I have to giveup my Vioxx for a week starting tomorrow since I'm having the minor GYN surgery. With my luck, the GYN won't find any endometrosis or anything else and it'll just be 'one more mystery.' At least with the Plantar Fascitis and Tendonitis, I was given a clear diagnosis by each doctor I've seen, all agreeing I have PF, even if they diasgreed on how to treat it.

In getting ready for putting the house on the market and getting a small apartment back home in DFW, I had a antique/junk store guy over today. So, I've begun my countdown to get ready to put the house on the market, and I made enough $$$ to order three pairs of shoes.

See ya. Thanks for your support,
Beverly

Re: Ask your doc about sciatic, piriformis syndrome, and referred pain

Kim B. on 10/10/00 at 21:40 (030248)

I did a search, there is info on 'Piriformis' which seems to me to be a cousin to sciatica pain, or something like that.

Ask your doc about sciatic pain, priformis syndrome and possible reffered pain situation.

I take it very easy with the neck yoga. I am very moderate and skip the parts that are uncomfortable. The Piriformis is situation seems to be helped by proper hip stretching.

I have discontinued my PFT for now. To many mechanical things going on that I couldn't pin point. You may need to consider if your hips are out of wack that can refer pain down the leg too, btw. Stress could be causing a chain reaction down your back, butt, hips, legs, etc. In my case it was coming up from my feet, and down from my back/hip. It is tough. Try to let things settle down.

Hang in there. Your internist will be able to help.

Kim B.

Kim B. on 10/10/00 at 21:51 (030250)

Try icing the painful parts, low back, low low back, front hip, back hip, thigh, side of knee, you know, the painful spots. Just lay down and move the icepack around a bit. Don't over do it on anyone spot, You don't want to frostbite the nerve and anger it more. Hopefully, this will help with the pain, and you may get a better night's sleep. Kim B.

john h on 10/11/00 at 09:16 (030271)

some common procedures a doc will use to test for low back problems: (1) walk across the room on heels only (2) walk across the room toes only (3) bend forward and backwards from the hips. If any of these cause pain in the legs it may warrant further test on your low back..

Beverly on 10/11/00 at 14:25 (030296)

Thanks for all your support guys.

I saw my internist. He poked around and quickly found the area behind that knee that I could barely stand for him to press. He said it looks like the hamstring tendon. Probably only strained it. Suggested I lay off the Total Gym and bike for awhile until this calms down. Ice...
I just don't seem to respond well to even the slightest weightbearing exercise. I don't think the bike brought this on, but I suspect the Total Gym, because it is the hardest exercise for me to do. The Total Gym puts you at partial weightbearing. Now, even my stretches hurt, and they usually don't hurt.

John, you are a rip! I can just see myself trying to let the doctor test me out by walking on my heels or toes. I'd be in the hospital ER!

Kim, like you, I am not using the PFT at the moment. I have not given up hope for it in the future but at the moment, I'm not up for it. And I'm still watching to see how other people respond to the Acu-Flex. It is less intimidating looking because it looks so similar to the towel stretches I do every day.

See ya,
Beverly

Kim B. on 10/11/00 at 14:34 (030299)

Great, now you know what is going on, and you can work on it.

I've been asked by two doctors to walk on my heels, I say 'no way', it's not worth the flair up I'll get from it. I simply can't do it, so I don't even try. I can walk on my tip toes for them though.

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 10/11/00 at 15:08 (030304)

the old heel and toe walk is a standard test for folks with back problems.