Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

It Hurts Whenever I try any PT

Posted by salina on 10/10/00 at 18:15 (030208)

I have had the PFT for a long time now. I have tried several times to get into a routine of using it.
I also try the usual exercises the PT guys tell us to do.
But just these simple exercises hurt my foot all along the arch.
Last night I tried again, just the PFT, and I didn't use any real resistance. So I wasn't overdoing it. Just going through any of the motions, I feel a pain like a pull or tear going through my arch.
I know the fascia is not stretchable, right? But isn't my foot supposed to be able to do simple movements without it hurting like this? Is it possible that my fascia has gotten sooo tight for some reason that normal movement is too much for it?
Also, when I was barefoot, I put my worse foot on the floor (while sitting) and tried again to raise my foot like I was standing on my toes, and it hurt just to do that.
I am getting a cast in November for the worse foot.
Do you think my foot will improve with rest or not?
My arch is so painful even to touch. The cortisone shot helped for a couple of weeks, but now its back to the way it was before.
My doctor just acts like surgery is such a simple solution.
before you schedule your patients for surgery, do you run certain tests to make sure you know what the problem is?
sorry so long

Re: It Hurts Whenever I try any PT

Dr. Biehler on 10/10/00 at 19:47 (030231)

Before surgery we try different conservative treatments ti see if the problem will resolve by itself. If you are getting pain durring and after the exercises, here is an idea for you. Treat the bottom of your foot just like you would treat a sprained ankle. It takes time to heal and if too much tension is put on is, you not only have to start over, you are in danger of doing lasting damage. If you have torn your fascia, it is like you just gave yourself a painful fasciotomy( probably not the best one). Now you have to let it heal. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/11/00 at 07:27 (030266)

Make sure you place the PFT in the ball of the foot. Only do the extensor excerises and leave the bottom flexors alone. Soak you feet in hot water for five minutes before starting this program. Do ten times only each foot. So leave the bottom alone for now just excercise the top.extensors. What kind of surgery does the doc want to perform???

salina on 10/11/00 at 14:13 (030295)

Thanks for your replies, Doctors.
Dr. Zuckerman,
He is maybe just trying to be nonchalant about PF surgery so I don't get nervous. But he just acts like it is just such a simple step for those that dont heal through other conservative treatments.
Which I guess, is true. But I can tell you, I will never have surgery until I try eswt first. He doesn't seem to know much at all about the eswt studies going on.
He says if the cast doesn't work,then he will do surgery (if its what I want). He says Ihave PF, and he will do the fascia release, where they cut the fascia some. That is all.
I go to see him tomorrow. I will ask him more questions.
Have you ever done pf surgery without verifying through tests first that it is indeed what they have? Or is that unnecessary?

thanks for the advice about the PFT. I will try it, and be sure to warm my foot first with the warm water. My left foot does not have a problem with the exercises. I will keep working it while my right one is in a cast in November. I am nervous about being in a cast, about atrophy problems. But my right foot just feels like everything is too much for it. It needs the rest. I dont have any weird type pain, just so painful along the arch. When I wake up after resting allnight, I can press along the arch with just a slight bit of pain. But it gets worse as the day goes on, and by evening I can hardly touch it at all. So I am hoping the cast for four weeks will give it a good rest. thanks again.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/11/00 at 16:48 (030309)

So long as it is not a stress fracture or a posterior tibial tear you are ok. On second though even if if is the cast is the next step. If you want to be sure MRI

Dr. Biehler on 10/10/00 at 19:47 (030231)

Before surgery we try different conservative treatments ti see if the problem will resolve by itself. If you are getting pain durring and after the exercises, here is an idea for you. Treat the bottom of your foot just like you would treat a sprained ankle. It takes time to heal and if too much tension is put on is, you not only have to start over, you are in danger of doing lasting damage. If you have torn your fascia, it is like you just gave yourself a painful fasciotomy( probably not the best one). Now you have to let it heal. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/11/00 at 07:27 (030266)

Make sure you place the PFT in the ball of the foot. Only do the extensor excerises and leave the bottom flexors alone. Soak you feet in hot water for five minutes before starting this program. Do ten times only each foot. So leave the bottom alone for now just excercise the top.extensors. What kind of surgery does the doc want to perform???

salina on 10/11/00 at 14:13 (030295)

Thanks for your replies, Doctors.
Dr. Zuckerman,
He is maybe just trying to be nonchalant about PF surgery so I don't get nervous. But he just acts like it is just such a simple step for those that dont heal through other conservative treatments.
Which I guess, is true. But I can tell you, I will never have surgery until I try eswt first. He doesn't seem to know much at all about the eswt studies going on.
He says if the cast doesn't work,then he will do surgery (if its what I want). He says Ihave PF, and he will do the fascia release, where they cut the fascia some. That is all.
I go to see him tomorrow. I will ask him more questions.
Have you ever done pf surgery without verifying through tests first that it is indeed what they have? Or is that unnecessary?

thanks for the advice about the PFT. I will try it, and be sure to warm my foot first with the warm water. My left foot does not have a problem with the exercises. I will keep working it while my right one is in a cast in November. I am nervous about being in a cast, about atrophy problems. But my right foot just feels like everything is too much for it. It needs the rest. I dont have any weird type pain, just so painful along the arch. When I wake up after resting allnight, I can press along the arch with just a slight bit of pain. But it gets worse as the day goes on, and by evening I can hardly touch it at all. So I am hoping the cast for four weeks will give it a good rest. thanks again.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/11/00 at 16:48 (030309)

So long as it is not a stress fracture or a posterior tibial tear you are ok. On second though even if if is the cast is the next step. If you want to be sure MRI