Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

They just approved my MRI ( Lucky me) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Laurie R on 10/11/00 at 15:22 (030306)

Hi To all,
Yes it is the 'nut' case again. They just called to tell me my MRI got approved .I will be going next Wed. Oct 18 .Wish me luck. I asked the nice lady that helped me yesterday if she can go with me in the room while I was being scaned .She said she has done this before for people. She said that if she is not busy she will be able to. I also told her that I jsut bought 6 CD's to help me relax . One is really cool ,it is rain sounds. I am trying hard here to relax. I also told her that I am not scared of the MRI ,I am scared that i am going to have an anxiety attack there. She said we will talk you though it . I do feel better today .And like Wendy said it is all in my head. I need to get it out of my head. Wish my luck .

My best to all of you wonderful and caring people. Laurie R

Re: They just approved my MRI ( Lucky me) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve P on 10/11/00 at 16:44 (030308)

Good for you! And once you have your MRI records, you can easily take them with you for any 2nd opinion, etc., as needed. They'll be valuable data for any doctor you might see in the future.

good luck........Steve

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/11/00 at 17:56 (030314)

Valium is the drug of choice for you. I still would give you three, four, five, six , oh know I have to keep you alive what's the use of doing an mri if the patient doesn't live to see the resuls. Ha Ha.
Just tell me when I am getting on your nerves.

Laurie R on 10/11/00 at 18:36 (030316)

Hi Dr.Z ,
You can't get on my nerves ,I don't have any left!!!!! Ha HA HA . You made me laugh again today .Thank you so much ,you are such a doll..... I mean it ,you are a very special doctor .I am telling you again ,if you lived by me you would be going to my MRI and holding my hand to make sure everything would be fine. Thanks again Dr.Z ......Laurie R

Kim B. on 10/11/00 at 19:48 (030324)

Laurie, you are having an open MRI, MRIs don't hurt one ioda, and the bottom line is you can stop it if you need to. Take a valium for me and quit worrying about it, you are going to be fine.

I've had 3 of them, in the tube (closed MRI). It was not a picnic, but it was manageable even though I have panic disorder at times. The infomation they get makes it worth it.

Personally, I wish I was going for a Foot MRI soon, but at the moment, feet are back burner issure, while we handle the other stuff. You actually ARE lucky. You are going to be fine.

Regards, Kim B.

Laurie R on 10/11/00 at 20:08 (030327)

Hi Kim,
Thanks,I know it will be fine.And you are so right it will be fine. I sometimes can be a big chicken. I am working on my anxiety .Check this out ,I grew up on the streets ,I have tatoos ,I can be one tough cookie at times but I get anxiety that I can't control.Makes no sence . Your right the 'open MRI ' is not scary at all .I went and took a tour of it yesterday . And all the staff there were so nice. Maybe now I am just scared what they are going to find. But whatever it is I will deal with it.Trust me I have been through alot in my life .

I think the bottom line here is that I have lived such a fast life and for the past 16 months it has slowed downed more then I would of liked. Part of my anxiety also has to due with other family menbers are very sick . I guess that's the way it goes sometimes though.

Thanks Kim ,I hope you are doing well. Laurie R

Beverly on 10/11/00 at 20:25 (030330)

Laurie,

I'm glad you got the MRI approved. Insurance can be so frustrating.
I've had three MRI's in the regular closed kind. They gave me earplugs,
music. I kept my eyes closed. Since it was not painful, and I'm not a big person, it was not all that bad. The hardest part for me was making sure I did not move for the time period I was stuck in there. An open MRI sounds even less stressful.
Keep us posted,
Beverly

JudyS on 10/11/00 at 21:22 (030336)

Hi Laurie - I'm so proud of you for being so thorough in your MRI research. I just know you're going to be fine. Take a valium for me, too! No - seriously! I've been wanting to do a tatoo for about a year now and you've motivated me to a date. It'll be on Wednesday, October 18.
I'm entertaining ideas for design and placement.....

Re: Judy, a small butterfly on your upper (rear-end) cheek

Kim B. on 10/11/00 at 21:36 (030339)

Yes a beautiful, butter-fly that is graceful, pain free, and has bloomed from a multi-legged catapillar (what torture). She flys to where she wants to be and always lands on her feet. On Dragon Tales, a kiddie show my son watches, they call them 'flutter-bys'. :-) Kim B.

Kim B. on 10/11/00 at 21:50 (030341)

I too am 'street smart' and can be dern tough when needed. I understand being stong. We try to help our families and friends out alot, because we are so strong. But the fact is that we (even us!) wear down over time, and have to rebuild and restrenghten.

You are going to have to pace yourself. I've decided to carry a maximum of 3 items on my 'to do list' at a time, instead of the 10 or more I used to try to juggle. Take care of one thing at a time and then add one to the list as you get them taken care of.

Remember this, 'You are NO GOOD to anyone else unless you take care of yourself FIRST.'

You are on the right track. Regardless of what the MRI results are, you can and will deal with it. You've better hope something does show up or you'll go back to 'square 1'. I hope they find your culprit.

Good luck, we're here if you need us, OK? Kim B.

Pauline on 10/11/00 at 22:11 (030344)

Laurie,
You'll do just fine. Do what ever makes you feel most comfortable
to get through this test. You'd be surprise how much confidence in yourself you gain afterward. Keep telling yourself you can do it.
It's times like this we have to make our minds tell our bodies how to behave. Not always easy so sometimes medication can be your friend.
Good luck

wendyn on 10/11/00 at 22:53 (030347)

Laurie - you make me sound so mean...I didn't really say 'it's all in your head'. That makes it sound as if it's foolish to be afraid.

It's not foolish - you have a real fear. What you have to accept is that the danger is in your mind, not in the MRI. It's the same as me and flying - all the anxiety and heart pounding I get is from what's happening in my very creative imagination - not from what's happening later on the plane.

Remember when you're relaxing to breathe slow and deep and let your muscles relax. The rain CD sounds like a great idea - but you may want to watch your fluid intake that day....the sound of rain might make you want to pee more. (They have a fountain with running water at yoga and I'm ALWAYS in the bathroom there).

Re: They just approved my MRI ( Lucky me) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!TO Wendy I am sorry .

Laurie R on 10/12/00 at 02:12 (030355)

Dear Wendy ,
I did not mean to make you sound like you are mean.YOU ARE NOT MEAN. You are a wonderful sweet lady and I have always appreciated all your help.You have helped me so much ever since I found this board. I ment to say I know it is in my head (my anxiety ) I cause it to happen.Your right ,it will not hurt at all .And I know it will be nothing like the EMG test i had from that uncompassionate doctor . I will say the good thing out of all of this is that I will know for sure what is causing all this pain. It just is not right. I have not been on my feet ,very little I should say since the cast was removed .I just hope whatever it is ,it will show up in the MRI. I will keep you posted.

Wendy when do you get your MRI results ? Again I was not trying to make you sound mean in any way ,I am truly sorry ,you know I don't write very well .Next time I will try to explain myself better.

My best to you Wendy......Laurie R

wendyn on 10/12/00 at 08:43 (030361)

That's okay Laurie - you don't have to apologize! I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think I thought your fears were foolish and easy to dismiss. I know how hard it is to face the things that scare you.

I did not have time to get my results before I go away, so I will see him Oct 25. My feet have not been too bad, with the exception of my big toe bunion which is driving me nuts. It hurts mostly in the moring. Go figure. What do you think I'm doing with it in my sleep that's hurting it!?!?!?!?!?!?

Steve P on 10/11/00 at 16:44 (030308)

Good for you! And once you have your MRI records, you can easily take them with you for any 2nd opinion, etc., as needed. They'll be valuable data for any doctor you might see in the future.

good luck........Steve

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/11/00 at 17:56 (030314)

Valium is the drug of choice for you. I still would give you three, four, five, six , oh know I have to keep you alive what's the use of doing an mri if the patient doesn't live to see the resuls. Ha Ha.
Just tell me when I am getting on your nerves.

Laurie R on 10/11/00 at 18:36 (030316)

Hi Dr.Z ,
You can't get on my nerves ,I don't have any left!!!!! Ha HA HA . You made me laugh again today .Thank you so much ,you are such a doll..... I mean it ,you are a very special doctor .I am telling you again ,if you lived by me you would be going to my MRI and holding my hand to make sure everything would be fine. Thanks again Dr.Z ......Laurie R

Kim B. on 10/11/00 at 19:48 (030324)

Laurie, you are having an open MRI, MRIs don't hurt one ioda, and the bottom line is you can stop it if you need to. Take a valium for me and quit worrying about it, you are going to be fine.

I've had 3 of them, in the tube (closed MRI). It was not a picnic, but it was manageable even though I have panic disorder at times. The infomation they get makes it worth it.

Personally, I wish I was going for a Foot MRI soon, but at the moment, feet are back burner issure, while we handle the other stuff. You actually ARE lucky. You are going to be fine.

Regards, Kim B.

Laurie R on 10/11/00 at 20:08 (030327)

Hi Kim,
Thanks,I know it will be fine.And you are so right it will be fine. I sometimes can be a big chicken. I am working on my anxiety .Check this out ,I grew up on the streets ,I have tatoos ,I can be one tough cookie at times but I get anxiety that I can't control.Makes no sence . Your right the 'open MRI ' is not scary at all .I went and took a tour of it yesterday . And all the staff there were so nice. Maybe now I am just scared what they are going to find. But whatever it is I will deal with it.Trust me I have been through alot in my life .

I think the bottom line here is that I have lived such a fast life and for the past 16 months it has slowed downed more then I would of liked. Part of my anxiety also has to due with other family menbers are very sick . I guess that's the way it goes sometimes though.

Thanks Kim ,I hope you are doing well. Laurie R

Beverly on 10/11/00 at 20:25 (030330)

Laurie,

I'm glad you got the MRI approved. Insurance can be so frustrating.
I've had three MRI's in the regular closed kind. They gave me earplugs,
music. I kept my eyes closed. Since it was not painful, and I'm not a big person, it was not all that bad. The hardest part for me was making sure I did not move for the time period I was stuck in there. An open MRI sounds even less stressful.
Keep us posted,
Beverly

JudyS on 10/11/00 at 21:22 (030336)

Hi Laurie - I'm so proud of you for being so thorough in your MRI research. I just know you're going to be fine. Take a valium for me, too! No - seriously! I've been wanting to do a tatoo for about a year now and you've motivated me to a date. It'll be on Wednesday, October 18.
I'm entertaining ideas for design and placement.....

Re: Judy, a small butterfly on your upper (rear-end) cheek

Kim B. on 10/11/00 at 21:36 (030339)

Yes a beautiful, butter-fly that is graceful, pain free, and has bloomed from a multi-legged catapillar (what torture). She flys to where she wants to be and always lands on her feet. On Dragon Tales, a kiddie show my son watches, they call them 'flutter-bys'. :-) Kim B.

Kim B. on 10/11/00 at 21:50 (030341)

I too am 'street smart' and can be dern tough when needed. I understand being stong. We try to help our families and friends out alot, because we are so strong. But the fact is that we (even us!) wear down over time, and have to rebuild and restrenghten.

You are going to have to pace yourself. I've decided to carry a maximum of 3 items on my 'to do list' at a time, instead of the 10 or more I used to try to juggle. Take care of one thing at a time and then add one to the list as you get them taken care of.

Remember this, 'You are NO GOOD to anyone else unless you take care of yourself FIRST.'

You are on the right track. Regardless of what the MRI results are, you can and will deal with it. You've better hope something does show up or you'll go back to 'square 1'. I hope they find your culprit.

Good luck, we're here if you need us, OK? Kim B.

Pauline on 10/11/00 at 22:11 (030344)

Laurie,
You'll do just fine. Do what ever makes you feel most comfortable
to get through this test. You'd be surprise how much confidence in yourself you gain afterward. Keep telling yourself you can do it.
It's times like this we have to make our minds tell our bodies how to behave. Not always easy so sometimes medication can be your friend.
Good luck

wendyn on 10/11/00 at 22:53 (030347)

Laurie - you make me sound so mean...I didn't really say 'it's all in your head'. That makes it sound as if it's foolish to be afraid.

It's not foolish - you have a real fear. What you have to accept is that the danger is in your mind, not in the MRI. It's the same as me and flying - all the anxiety and heart pounding I get is from what's happening in my very creative imagination - not from what's happening later on the plane.

Remember when you're relaxing to breathe slow and deep and let your muscles relax. The rain CD sounds like a great idea - but you may want to watch your fluid intake that day....the sound of rain might make you want to pee more. (They have a fountain with running water at yoga and I'm ALWAYS in the bathroom there).

Laurie R on 10/12/00 at 02:12 (030355)

Dear Wendy ,
I did not mean to make you sound like you are mean.YOU ARE NOT MEAN. You are a wonderful sweet lady and I have always appreciated all your help.You have helped me so much ever since I found this board. I ment to say I know it is in my head (my anxiety ) I cause it to happen.Your right ,it will not hurt at all .And I know it will be nothing like the EMG test i had from that uncompassionate doctor . I will say the good thing out of all of this is that I will know for sure what is causing all this pain. It just is not right. I have not been on my feet ,very little I should say since the cast was removed .I just hope whatever it is ,it will show up in the MRI. I will keep you posted.

Wendy when do you get your MRI results ? Again I was not trying to make you sound mean in any way ,I am truly sorry ,you know I don't write very well .Next time I will try to explain myself better.

My best to you Wendy......Laurie R

wendyn on 10/12/00 at 08:43 (030361)

That's okay Laurie - you don't have to apologize! I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think I thought your fears were foolish and easy to dismiss. I know how hard it is to face the things that scare you.

I did not have time to get my results before I go away, so I will see him Oct 25. My feet have not been too bad, with the exception of my big toe bunion which is driving me nuts. It hurts mostly in the moring. Go figure. What do you think I'm doing with it in my sleep that's hurting it!?!?!?!?!?!?