Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What's the next step for PTT and a little PF?

Posted by matt on 10/11/00 at 19:01 (030321)

I am seeing the doctor again Friday to see which way we are going to go with this thing. I have been wearing a boot for two weeks and am not really getting the improvement I was expecting. This is the second time I have had to do this, I reinjured my foot this summer after having pretty much gotten over ptt and pf at the first of May. I just over did it this summer. I made a few posts here as mss way back then. I am wondering what he could recommend when I see him in a couple of days. I still have some swelling and if I walk to much the same pain on the inside of my ankle is there. It seems like if I get the orthotic inside the boot just exactly right place I am ok for awhile. Has anyone been at this point and what did you try next? I was getting a little anxious about the next suggestion for treatment, I dont know what to expect. I would appreciate any comments. The boot has eliminated most morning pain, but if I do much of anything the swelling around the heel is pretty bad.

Re: What's the next step for PTT and a little PF?

Dr. Zuckeman on 10/11/00 at 21:04 (030334)

Increase pain with increase walking could mean a fracture. have you hade testing such as mri?

matt on 10/11/00 at 22:17 (030345)

Had xray several months ago, but no other testing. Orthotics do help, pain always increases after some walking. I have not been able to do much the last few weeks without just being in pain. The boot helps but I am began to wonder how long this is going to take. If I can get the foot feeling better again, somehow, I am going to be more careful for a lot longer. Thanks for your response.

Nancy S. on 10/11/00 at 23:20 (030352)

Matt, are you doing any stretching (gentle), and have you discussed with your dr. the idea of getting some physical therapy?
I've had PF for 1.5 years but it is much improved. However, when I tried to return to semi-normal activity, I ended up with three tendonitises, posterior tibial being one of them. I was in an aircast for 7 weeks, but during that time was having PT three times a week and doing a gentle, gradually increasing stretching regimen at home. I have quite a bit of swelling and pain around the ankles and tendons. The dr. emphasized that this will take some time to go away, and he's right. But PT helped, and my stretching (and now some strengthening) routine at home is helping. It's just slow.
If I were you I would talk to the dr. about PT and a stretching regimen (start s l o w l y). I would also limit walking if it's hurting you and aggravating the PTT, until you've begun to feel some improvement from treatment.
Best of luck, let us know what happens at the doc's.
Nancy

Re: What's PTT an acronym for?

Denise E on 10/12/00 at 06:18 (030358)

EOM

wendyn on 10/12/00 at 08:44 (030362)

I would suspect it's Posterior Tibial Tendonitis. (PTT)

Dr. Zuckeman on 10/11/00 at 21:04 (030334)

Increase pain with increase walking could mean a fracture. have you hade testing such as mri?

matt on 10/11/00 at 22:17 (030345)

Had xray several months ago, but no other testing. Orthotics do help, pain always increases after some walking. I have not been able to do much the last few weeks without just being in pain. The boot helps but I am began to wonder how long this is going to take. If I can get the foot feeling better again, somehow, I am going to be more careful for a lot longer. Thanks for your response.

Nancy S. on 10/11/00 at 23:20 (030352)

Matt, are you doing any stretching (gentle), and have you discussed with your dr. the idea of getting some physical therapy?
I've had PF for 1.5 years but it is much improved. However, when I tried to return to semi-normal activity, I ended up with three tendonitises, posterior tibial being one of them. I was in an aircast for 7 weeks, but during that time was having PT three times a week and doing a gentle, gradually increasing stretching regimen at home. I have quite a bit of swelling and pain around the ankles and tendons. The dr. emphasized that this will take some time to go away, and he's right. But PT helped, and my stretching (and now some strengthening) routine at home is helping. It's just slow.
If I were you I would talk to the dr. about PT and a stretching regimen (start s l o w l y). I would also limit walking if it's hurting you and aggravating the PTT, until you've begun to feel some improvement from treatment.
Best of luck, let us know what happens at the doc's.
Nancy

Denise E on 10/12/00 at 06:18 (030358)

EOM

wendyn on 10/12/00 at 08:44 (030362)

I would suspect it's Posterior Tibial Tendonitis. (PTT)