Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Oh sure, you all laughed at shoes with springs in the heels ....

Posted by john a on 10/18/00 at 12:59 (030778)

But now Nike is doing it: http://www.fastcompany.com/online/40/nike.html Unfortunately, there are no pictures at that link, but I get the FastCompany magazine as a dubious job perq, and the pictures there show two (or maybe 4 - all the pictures are side views) highly visible springs in the heel of each shoe. They might be more stable than the ones made by Z-Tech (http://www.zshoes.com/)

Re: Oh sure, you all laughed at shoes with springs in the heels ....

Lori E. on 10/18/00 at 13:34 (030785)

I saw a picture of those shoes in Popular Science. They aren't quite as crazy looking, but neither of those shoes look like they would be comfortable in the long haul. New technology, go figure.

Nancy S. on 10/19/00 at 08:13 (030826)

Message Number 30827
Re: Note regarding inflammation and anti-inflammatories. View Thread
Posted by Kim B. on 10/19/00 at 08:35

I'd like to add that yes, NSAIDS can give you a false sense of security just like other pain relievers can do. And this can cause you to overdo, so that is something that must be paid attention to.

However, Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory medication (NSAIDS)don't just provide pain relief, when they work, they cut down on inflammation too, where as non-anti-inflammatories pain relievers may simply 'Mask' pain and cover it up.

So if you find a good anti-inflammatory that works for you, I think that in the proper doses, they can be helpful in two ways, they reduce inflammation and give pain relief.

I've learned through my struggles with Fibromyagia (FM) that PAIN BUILDS ON PAIN. So, my personal belief is that simularly INFLAMMATION BUILDS ON INFLAMMATION. That, to me, is why we get so much relief from icing our feet, we short stop the constant inflammation. And, that is also why staying on our feet when they are in pain, makes them worse. My theory is that inflammation builds on inflammation, just as FM pain sometimes builds on FM pain. Actually it sprirals out of control if you don't do something to break the pain cycle once it has started getting out of control. For example, the shot of Demoral they gave me at the ER a few weeks ago made all the difference in the world for my FM Flair up. Even after it wore off eight hours later, it short circuited the pain cycle and I was back to a level that I could manage. Oddly Fibromyalgia pain doesn't typically respond to anti-inflammatories, though everyone's situation is different of course. So I have other meds I often count on the manage my FM pain.

In the beginning Vioxx didn't really help my PF either, but as things began to get better over seveal months, I re-introduced the vioxx and it had a better affect later down the road. No med works for all the people all the time. But if you have an anit-inflammatory (nsaids) meds that helps you with the pain, use it an a complementary aid, but don't let that be the only thing you do to battle the PF monster.

My 2 cents worth anyway.

Regards to all,

Kim B.

Ann G on 10/19/00 at 20:38 (030876)

I can see stuff getting tangled up in those springs. How many tree branches can you drag around with you? My daughter who is seventeen, thinks I should have a pair. I can see my self dragging around all manner of flotsam.

Lori E. on 10/18/00 at 13:34 (030785)

I saw a picture of those shoes in Popular Science. They aren't quite as crazy looking, but neither of those shoes look like they would be comfortable in the long haul. New technology, go figure.

Nancy S. on 10/19/00 at 08:13 (030826)

Message Number 30827
Re: Note regarding inflammation and anti-inflammatories. View Thread
Posted by Kim B. on 10/19/00 at 08:35

I'd like to add that yes, NSAIDS can give you a false sense of security just like other pain relievers can do. And this can cause you to overdo, so that is something that must be paid attention to.

However, Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory medication (NSAIDS)don't just provide pain relief, when they work, they cut down on inflammation too, where as non-anti-inflammatories pain relievers may simply 'Mask' pain and cover it up.

So if you find a good anti-inflammatory that works for you, I think that in the proper doses, they can be helpful in two ways, they reduce inflammation and give pain relief.

I've learned through my struggles with Fibromyagia (FM) that PAIN BUILDS ON PAIN. So, my personal belief is that simularly INFLAMMATION BUILDS ON INFLAMMATION. That, to me, is why we get so much relief from icing our feet, we short stop the constant inflammation. And, that is also why staying on our feet when they are in pain, makes them worse. My theory is that inflammation builds on inflammation, just as FM pain sometimes builds on FM pain. Actually it sprirals out of control if you don't do something to break the pain cycle once it has started getting out of control. For example, the shot of Demoral they gave me at the ER a few weeks ago made all the difference in the world for my FM Flair up. Even after it wore off eight hours later, it short circuited the pain cycle and I was back to a level that I could manage. Oddly Fibromyalgia pain doesn't typically respond to anti-inflammatories, though everyone's situation is different of course. So I have other meds I often count on the manage my FM pain.

In the beginning Vioxx didn't really help my PF either, but as things began to get better over seveal months, I re-introduced the vioxx and it had a better affect later down the road. No med works for all the people all the time. But if you have an anit-inflammatory (nsaids) meds that helps you with the pain, use it an a complementary aid, but don't let that be the only thing you do to battle the PF monster.

My 2 cents worth anyway.

Regards to all,

Kim B.

Ann G on 10/19/00 at 20:38 (030876)

I can see stuff getting tangled up in those springs. How many tree branches can you drag around with you? My daughter who is seventeen, thinks I should have a pair. I can see my self dragging around all manner of flotsam.