Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Symptoms

Posted by Chris on 10/19/00 at 00:01 (030812)

I seem to have a constellation of musuloskeletal problems and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. I'm a 42 yo WM. 6'4', 220 lbs. I exercise 2-3 times per week. I have a herniate disc at L5-S1 on the right sucessfully treated with epidural steroids ten years ago. I have had both knees scoped with meniscal tears and chondromalacia and am looking at number two on the left knee. I have PF which has responded to steroids but limits my activities and makes running impossible. I know my gastrocnemii are too tight. I have taken quinine sulfate regularly for nocturnal leg cramps. My K++ has been low in the past but is OK now (HCTZ in my HTN meds). I have heard that NSAIDS taken regularly can have deleterious effects on healthy cartilage, but ibuprofen seems to work well for me. Any thoughts out there?

Re: Symptoms

john h on 10/19/00 at 09:55 (030830)

chris: i have a degenerative disc at the L5/S1 level and also have bilaterial PF. When i was having an MRI on my back last month the radiologist said he found a lot of patients with low back problems also had PF or foot problems. He had no explanation. I am having the dreaded Discogram monday morning. This is a procedure where pain is 'good' as it can identify where exactly your pain generator is. I have had epidurals, radio frequency lesioning, and facet injections and none really bothered me but i must confess i do not look forward to this procedure with 3 disc to be injected with dye to try and reproduce 'pain'!

john a on 10/19/00 at 10:38 (030835)

I also have a constellation of musculo/skeletal weaknesses: bad lower back, carpal tunnel syndrome in left wrist, bad right knee, PF in both feet, and the apparent inability of my muscles/tendons to heal very quickly or very well, which severely limits my ability to train to increase strength. Because of colitis (see my other post), I have been taking the anti-inflammatory sulfasalazine for the past 9 years, which I think has had something to do with causing my muscle/tendon problems. I am considering going to an Endocrinologist to see if I am deficient in any hormones needed for healing (thyroid, pituitary, adrenal gland problems).

Beverly on 10/19/00 at 14:23 (030846)

I have had many muscular problems.
Chronic neck and shoulder pain: diagnosed as a strain but who knows what it is. Two years. 80-90% improvement thanks to over six months of PT last year and continued massage. Finding a highly skilled massage therapist was the best thing I did for my neck. I found him through my PT. He goes way beyond the usual sports massage and is trained in a variety of disciplines.

PF since March 99 in both feet. Recently developed Post Tibial Tendonitis about a month ago when my PF was getting better and I was on my feet in a somewhat normal way. PF continues to be a bit better but PTT is miserable. I credit good shoes, stretching, and PT for helping me at least begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Getting my first cortizone shots in about two weeks.

Tendonitis in my wrists many years ago. No problems with it today. Did it lifting weights too heavy for me. Took about two years for it to become completely symptom free.

Tennis Elbow off and on since this spring. Hit my elbow on desk. Mostly cleared up as long as I wear an elbow splint when on the computer.

Basically, everything has gotten to a manageable level except for my feet and ankle problems.
You are not alone. Many of us here have pain in mulitple places.
Best wishes,
Beverly

john h on 10/19/00 at 09:55 (030830)

chris: i have a degenerative disc at the L5/S1 level and also have bilaterial PF. When i was having an MRI on my back last month the radiologist said he found a lot of patients with low back problems also had PF or foot problems. He had no explanation. I am having the dreaded Discogram monday morning. This is a procedure where pain is 'good' as it can identify where exactly your pain generator is. I have had epidurals, radio frequency lesioning, and facet injections and none really bothered me but i must confess i do not look forward to this procedure with 3 disc to be injected with dye to try and reproduce 'pain'!

john a on 10/19/00 at 10:38 (030835)

I also have a constellation of musculo/skeletal weaknesses: bad lower back, carpal tunnel syndrome in left wrist, bad right knee, PF in both feet, and the apparent inability of my muscles/tendons to heal very quickly or very well, which severely limits my ability to train to increase strength. Because of colitis (see my other post), I have been taking the anti-inflammatory sulfasalazine for the past 9 years, which I think has had something to do with causing my muscle/tendon problems. I am considering going to an Endocrinologist to see if I am deficient in any hormones needed for healing (thyroid, pituitary, adrenal gland problems).

Beverly on 10/19/00 at 14:23 (030846)

I have had many muscular problems.
Chronic neck and shoulder pain: diagnosed as a strain but who knows what it is. Two years. 80-90% improvement thanks to over six months of PT last year and continued massage. Finding a highly skilled massage therapist was the best thing I did for my neck. I found him through my PT. He goes way beyond the usual sports massage and is trained in a variety of disciplines.

PF since March 99 in both feet. Recently developed Post Tibial Tendonitis about a month ago when my PF was getting better and I was on my feet in a somewhat normal way. PF continues to be a bit better but PTT is miserable. I credit good shoes, stretching, and PT for helping me at least begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Getting my first cortizone shots in about two weeks.

Tendonitis in my wrists many years ago. No problems with it today. Did it lifting weights too heavy for me. Took about two years for it to become completely symptom free.

Tennis Elbow off and on since this spring. Hit my elbow on desk. Mostly cleared up as long as I wear an elbow splint when on the computer.

Basically, everything has gotten to a manageable level except for my feet and ankle problems.
You are not alone. Many of us here have pain in mulitple places.
Best wishes,
Beverly