Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EXAUSTED- Agony everytime I walk....

Posted by Dondi on 10/20/00 at 12:54 (030925)

Greetings,

I have been suffering with what is diagnosed as PF bilaterally for the last grueling 8 months. I am dizzy and now probably have carpal tunnel from trying to scour the internet for more info. This is a wonderful website!! My physician NEVER informed me that this condition could drag on indefinatly and that a cure was elusive at best. Loss of mobility has ruined my spring, summer and now it appears fall as I had an opportunity to go as see the Seattle Mariners in the ACLS playoff series but couldn't walk. This condition seems so bizarre to me, as it just appeared out of nowhere and without warning, I do not have pain in the morning alone - I have it every agonizing step. I am a 37 year old female who is not nor have I ever been an athlete or runner. I weigh 120 lbs and used moderate walking as my exercise of choice. It doesn't get anymore milque toast than that. I have nearly bankrupted my meager savings with co-pays, prescriptions for anti inflams, Bromelain, rigid orthotics, shoe inserts, and shoes I can't even wear! All FOR NOTHING... Once my condition improves can it reappear again without warning??? Is this lifelong??

Also can anyone recommend a video for stretching because I can't figure out how to execute any of the ones I have read about. And is there some type of workout video that doesn't involve your feet?? Thank you....

Re: EXAUSTED- Agony everytime I walk....

Dr. Biehler on 10/20/00 at 13:35 (030926)

The typical PF has extreme pain with the first weight bearing step, especialy in the morning , then eases up as you walk. If you are not experianing this, you might want to revisit your diagnosis. A good place to start is to read Scott's book on heel pain that he has published on this site. Dr. B.

john a on 10/20/00 at 13:40 (030927)

Your situation sounds similar to mine: 37 (but male), 140 lbs, 5'10'', no first step pain, worse the longer I'm on my feet, with a 5-minutes- to-pain standing threshold. It came out of the blue with no clear cause. I wasn't a runner, or even a walker. Probable cause for me is inactivity, little to no stretching, old, non-supportive shoes, and hard concrete floors in my apartment. I've had it longer than you: 19 months - since March 99. I thought I was improving ever-so-slowly toward the end of 1999 by wearing $400 rigid orthotics, then I had a setback which caused me to abandon them. I'd switched to New Balance 800 walking shoes with Superfeet inserts about 7 months ago, and thought they were a change for the better at first, but the discomfort steadily increased, and I stupidly persisted in believing that _eventually_ I would get used to them. So, a week ago I switched to Asics Gel Trabuco III (our own PF message board ultra-marathoner 'Rock' suggested these) with the Superfeet insoles, with all but about 2.5 inches of the original insole under the heel cut away, to give the heel some added lift and cushioning. A few people here have said they liked the Asics because of the great arch support, but the Trabuco III doesn't seem to have much of one. But is is much more cushioning than the NB 800, and the Superfeet provide the support. This has been much better for me so far. I am cautiously optimistic. No changes in diet or vitamin supplementation have had any noticable effect, but I try to eat well, which is pretty tough for a single guy who can't spend more than 10 minutes at a time in a grocery store! My current staples are decaffeinated green tea, soy nuts and lots of garlic, all things that are pretty good for you in general, if not specifically good for PF. I am also trying to strengthen my feet with towel scrunches, and the PFT. Stretching is a problem for me because of chronic muscle pulls and lurking tendonitis issues, which may be resolved by warming up sufficiently prior to any stretching, for which purpose I bought a Blackburn Trackstand Defender RX-8 which allows me to ride my bicycle inside in a controlled foot-friendly manner. However, my bad knees and even the muscle problems limit that as well. I'm sort if in a catch-22 right now, still looking for a way out. Oh well, that's enough of my sorry story, others have it worse, and others have gotten better in a shorter time, so don't lose hope.

cheryl on 10/20/00 at 13:54 (030929)

i also like you do not have first morning pain this has been going on for 17 months with bad pain i hope it is not life long i just keep following the instructions of my doc and reading this board for as much info and help i can get sounds like you have done all but surgery..did you ever rest for a long period of time? i had the surgery last month and i'm still hurting i still can not walk at all without some kind of pain in the foot.....rest read and keep the faith.cheryl

Nancy S. on 10/20/00 at 15:17 (030934)

Welcome, Dondi,
I'm sorry you're having such a painful year. My case as well started out a lot like yours -- no education and no help from my original doc, and then at eight months, still in excruciating pain, I finally found this website, thank you thank you.
Also like you, I had the morning pain bigtime. Then a little relief, then it escalated as the day wore on. I was basically crippled from it by the time I found this site, and boy was I thrilled to find it. I've learned tons from this site and all the posters, and it helped my PF a great deal. Unfortunately, after three months of serious rest in the winter and not enough non-weight-bearing stretching and exercise during that, I developed three kinds of tendonitis, which are now my biggest problem.
I have finally found a good doc (sports med, even though I'm no athlete -- doesn't matter). He put me in a walking aircast for 7 weeks, during which I also started having physical therapy 3 times a week and started using the Acu-Flex (see Scott's Products page). Everyone has their own favorite products -- for me, Acu-Flex is ideal, for both stretching and strengthening, all non-weight-bearing and providing total control over resistance. Check it out.
I've had a lot of ups and downs with these conditions, but I remain a believer that I'll get better if I use patience and persistence in my treatment and keep on educating myself (believe me, everyone has times of despair, but most get better). You can too! As Dr. Biehler said, be sure to read Scott's book -- it will help you understand this condition, addresses many many options, and maybe most important of all, helps you gather the info. to know a good doctor when you see one and be active in your treatment.
Have you read about ESWT? You sound like you might be a candidate for it, so I recommend you read up on that too. Check out Scott's ESWT pages and message board.
Good luck to you -- it's a great bunch of supportive (and friendly and humorous and knowledgeable) people here, and they'll try to help you with any tiny or huge questions you may have. Also, Drs. Zuckerman and Biehler volunteer their expertise here and have added much to what this site has to offer.
Nancy

Beverly on 10/20/00 at 18:00 (030942)

You sound like me. I've had this 7 or 8 months. Although I have morning pain, it gets worse the more I am on it.
Physical Therapy has offered me more help than anything along with good shoes. We all have many shoe opinions. I like Birks and quality athletic shoes with otc inserts, but everyone here will have a different shoe opinion. I think the key there is to just keep trying.

One thing PT has done for me is teach me the proper way to stretch/strenghten. Also, I get a deep tissue massage at PT.

The other thing that has helped me is rest. For awhile I rested alone and did not stretch. I now regret that. But I found stretching painful and was afraid of it. That is why PT has been helpful to me. There, I was given a stretching program I could handle and slowly we have increased it.

When I say rest, I mean staying home and off my feet. I try to do that every weekend. I don't have kids; so it is fairly easy. I realize that for women with children, this is a different matter.

I believe that most of us with PF get better. I'm not sure how many of us 'chronic' types get totally cured, but over and over, I read posts from longterm people who are now much better.

I wish you the best of luck. Try not to give up. Will your insurance allow you to go to PT? I tried many doctors before I found one who takes this seriously.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Re: To Dr. Biehler

Kim B. on 10/20/00 at 18:16 (030943)

Dr. Biehler,

I resent the callousness that you implied with your posting 'The typical PF has extreme pain with the first weight bearing step, especialy in the morning, then eases up as you walk.'

If you think for one minute that the people here are complaining about a little morning pain and nothing more, then YOU Sir, need a little more education about PF.

WE are in AGONY! Some may have it in the first few steps, and some have it in every step after the first 10 steps. You have mislead this poster and belittled an illness I have suffered with for 18 LONG PITIFUL months.

I was diagnosed over a year ago with PF by two differnts doctors, an Orthopedic Surgeon and a highly experienced Internist. Are you saying they are wrong about my diagnosis? I do not like this worthless diagnosis, so don't think there is some sort of privilage to hanging on to it.

Do you think that people will pay $2000 out of pocket for ESWT to get rid of a little morning pain? Do you think we scour the Inet for a cure for a little morning pain? Sir, I resent you implication that my PF is a little morning pain that goes away as the day wears on. I indeed have plantar faciitis and it is MUCH, MUCH more than a little pain in the morning.

I guess I'll stay over in the 'Treatments' and 'Social' boards where there are people I can relate to, who won't belittle MY case of PF.

Sincerly, Kim B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/20/00 at 19:56 (030950)

Kim B., I in no way mean to belittle your pain and suffering! As this person is new to the board I wanted to make sure that PF is the problem that is being treated. This last week I had a patient present to my office in such b/l foot pain since the 1950's that he wanted either surgery or ESWT. He was wearing his orthotics and explained how he has been treated by doctors and podiatrists for years with out help. I know this example does not apply to you, but after examining him I gave him a removable metatrasal pad for each foot and he said it was the first time he had walked pain free in 50 years. He came back this week still pain free and I wrote him a prescription so he could have a permanate orthotic made. Some times doctors get so caught up in the treatment they fail to realize the problem has changed. Dr. B.

cindyp on 10/20/00 at 21:18 (030952)

I guess I will continue the mantra. I think some of you sound like me. I thought I had pf for 7 years. Doctors can make a serious misdiagnosis. Through the magic of the mri I found out how wrong they were. I am exhuasted now just setting down, much less standing and trying to walk. The celebrex has completely stopped. Now it feels like fingers of pain are deeply infiltrating every bit of my foot even in the ankle. I swear I will end up a screaming crazy. Cannot stand to have anything touching my foot. Makes me want to put gun in mouth but I won't keep hoping better things are coming.

Scott R on 10/20/00 at 21:19 (030953)

Kim, I didn't read any callousness in Dr. B's post. I say the same thing he said in the first 2 sentences of the 2nd paragraph of my 'book':
The classic sign of plantar fasciitis (which is often confused with or considered the same as heel spurs) is heel pain with the 1st few steps in the morning (84% of our visitors). If this symptom is not present then the diagnosis of plantar fasciitis has to be checked more carefully.

However, I'll be a little like Gilligan and say that 'everyone has a point', by supporting Kim's point: 42% of the visitors to this website who have been diagnosed with or are absolutely sure they have PF say the pain is 24 hours a day. Of that subgroup, only 55% say the pain is 'moderate' or 'severe' when sitting (n=268).

Kim B. on 10/20/00 at 21:42 (030954)

Dr. B.,

I'm sorry I got my button pushed and went off on you. Sincerely.

I just can't stand for, Doctors of all people, to imply that is a simple 'morning pain' issue, or that this will go away by itself in a few months, bla, bla,... the list goes on. While those examples may be the case for many, for me, and many like me, it has not been the situation. How I wish it were.

Chronic foot pain sufferers have their pain belittled enough from unknowing friends, family members, and co-workers who just can't relate. I think as a doctor, you have to be sensitive to those of us who are dealing with severe cases. It has affected our work, home, personal and social lives, our bank books, our relationships, our self-esteem and ability to pursue things that we enjoy.

We need you to recognize that chronic, severe PF is a dibilitating illness. Please do not imply that 'true PF' is simply a morning pain issue. While that was the case for me at one level of this illness, the evidence at this board proves it can ALSO be an all day, everyday, life recking illness to deal with, especially if it is not caught early on.

Again, I apologize for jumping all over you the way I did. I'm sure you are a kind and caring doctor, but learning from this board is a two-way street. We can learn from you, and, you can learn from us.

Sincerely, Kim B.

Jill on 10/21/00 at 23:50 (031001)

Dear Dondi, Hi my name is Jill and I know how you feel. I just read yours and it sounds just like mine. Please email me and let me know how you are doing. I am in a walking cast right now trying to fix what the first dr. didn't do. I would love to hear about your experience. I am in such pain all the time. I am a server at Red Lobster in Illinios. Hope to talk to you soon ok. Jill

Dondi on 10/23/00 at 13:48 (031074)

Dr. Biehler,
Perhaps you read through my e-mail too quickly.... I stated 'I do not have pain in the morning ALONE - I have it every agonizing step.' I certainly do have pain in the morning - just not exclusively! Thank you to all the wonderfully supportive people who quickly rallied around me and offered your thoughts....

Dr. Biehler on 10/20/00 at 13:35 (030926)

The typical PF has extreme pain with the first weight bearing step, especialy in the morning , then eases up as you walk. If you are not experianing this, you might want to revisit your diagnosis. A good place to start is to read Scott's book on heel pain that he has published on this site. Dr. B.

john a on 10/20/00 at 13:40 (030927)

Your situation sounds similar to mine: 37 (but male), 140 lbs, 5'10'', no first step pain, worse the longer I'm on my feet, with a 5-minutes- to-pain standing threshold. It came out of the blue with no clear cause. I wasn't a runner, or even a walker. Probable cause for me is inactivity, little to no stretching, old, non-supportive shoes, and hard concrete floors in my apartment. I've had it longer than you: 19 months - since March 99. I thought I was improving ever-so-slowly toward the end of 1999 by wearing $400 rigid orthotics, then I had a setback which caused me to abandon them. I'd switched to New Balance 800 walking shoes with Superfeet inserts about 7 months ago, and thought they were a change for the better at first, but the discomfort steadily increased, and I stupidly persisted in believing that _eventually_ I would get used to them. So, a week ago I switched to Asics Gel Trabuco III (our own PF message board ultra-marathoner 'Rock' suggested these) with the Superfeet insoles, with all but about 2.5 inches of the original insole under the heel cut away, to give the heel some added lift and cushioning. A few people here have said they liked the Asics because of the great arch support, but the Trabuco III doesn't seem to have much of one. But is is much more cushioning than the NB 800, and the Superfeet provide the support. This has been much better for me so far. I am cautiously optimistic. No changes in diet or vitamin supplementation have had any noticable effect, but I try to eat well, which is pretty tough for a single guy who can't spend more than 10 minutes at a time in a grocery store! My current staples are decaffeinated green tea, soy nuts and lots of garlic, all things that are pretty good for you in general, if not specifically good for PF. I am also trying to strengthen my feet with towel scrunches, and the PFT. Stretching is a problem for me because of chronic muscle pulls and lurking tendonitis issues, which may be resolved by warming up sufficiently prior to any stretching, for which purpose I bought a Blackburn Trackstand Defender RX-8 which allows me to ride my bicycle inside in a controlled foot-friendly manner. However, my bad knees and even the muscle problems limit that as well. I'm sort if in a catch-22 right now, still looking for a way out. Oh well, that's enough of my sorry story, others have it worse, and others have gotten better in a shorter time, so don't lose hope.

cheryl on 10/20/00 at 13:54 (030929)

i also like you do not have first morning pain this has been going on for 17 months with bad pain i hope it is not life long i just keep following the instructions of my doc and reading this board for as much info and help i can get sounds like you have done all but surgery..did you ever rest for a long period of time? i had the surgery last month and i'm still hurting i still can not walk at all without some kind of pain in the foot.....rest read and keep the faith.cheryl

Nancy S. on 10/20/00 at 15:17 (030934)

Welcome, Dondi,
I'm sorry you're having such a painful year. My case as well started out a lot like yours -- no education and no help from my original doc, and then at eight months, still in excruciating pain, I finally found this website, thank you thank you.
Also like you, I had the morning pain bigtime. Then a little relief, then it escalated as the day wore on. I was basically crippled from it by the time I found this site, and boy was I thrilled to find it. I've learned tons from this site and all the posters, and it helped my PF a great deal. Unfortunately, after three months of serious rest in the winter and not enough non-weight-bearing stretching and exercise during that, I developed three kinds of tendonitis, which are now my biggest problem.
I have finally found a good doc (sports med, even though I'm no athlete -- doesn't matter). He put me in a walking aircast for 7 weeks, during which I also started having physical therapy 3 times a week and started using the Acu-Flex (see Scott's Products page). Everyone has their own favorite products -- for me, Acu-Flex is ideal, for both stretching and strengthening, all non-weight-bearing and providing total control over resistance. Check it out.
I've had a lot of ups and downs with these conditions, but I remain a believer that I'll get better if I use patience and persistence in my treatment and keep on educating myself (believe me, everyone has times of despair, but most get better). You can too! As Dr. Biehler said, be sure to read Scott's book -- it will help you understand this condition, addresses many many options, and maybe most important of all, helps you gather the info. to know a good doctor when you see one and be active in your treatment.
Have you read about ESWT? You sound like you might be a candidate for it, so I recommend you read up on that too. Check out Scott's ESWT pages and message board.
Good luck to you -- it's a great bunch of supportive (and friendly and humorous and knowledgeable) people here, and they'll try to help you with any tiny or huge questions you may have. Also, Drs. Zuckerman and Biehler volunteer their expertise here and have added much to what this site has to offer.
Nancy

Beverly on 10/20/00 at 18:00 (030942)

You sound like me. I've had this 7 or 8 months. Although I have morning pain, it gets worse the more I am on it.
Physical Therapy has offered me more help than anything along with good shoes. We all have many shoe opinions. I like Birks and quality athletic shoes with otc inserts, but everyone here will have a different shoe opinion. I think the key there is to just keep trying.

One thing PT has done for me is teach me the proper way to stretch/strenghten. Also, I get a deep tissue massage at PT.

The other thing that has helped me is rest. For awhile I rested alone and did not stretch. I now regret that. But I found stretching painful and was afraid of it. That is why PT has been helpful to me. There, I was given a stretching program I could handle and slowly we have increased it.

When I say rest, I mean staying home and off my feet. I try to do that every weekend. I don't have kids; so it is fairly easy. I realize that for women with children, this is a different matter.

I believe that most of us with PF get better. I'm not sure how many of us 'chronic' types get totally cured, but over and over, I read posts from longterm people who are now much better.

I wish you the best of luck. Try not to give up. Will your insurance allow you to go to PT? I tried many doctors before I found one who takes this seriously.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Kim B. on 10/20/00 at 18:16 (030943)

Dr. Biehler,

I resent the callousness that you implied with your posting 'The typical PF has extreme pain with the first weight bearing step, especialy in the morning, then eases up as you walk.'

If you think for one minute that the people here are complaining about a little morning pain and nothing more, then YOU Sir, need a little more education about PF.

WE are in AGONY! Some may have it in the first few steps, and some have it in every step after the first 10 steps. You have mislead this poster and belittled an illness I have suffered with for 18 LONG PITIFUL months.

I was diagnosed over a year ago with PF by two differnts doctors, an Orthopedic Surgeon and a highly experienced Internist. Are you saying they are wrong about my diagnosis? I do not like this worthless diagnosis, so don't think there is some sort of privilage to hanging on to it.

Do you think that people will pay $2000 out of pocket for ESWT to get rid of a little morning pain? Do you think we scour the Inet for a cure for a little morning pain? Sir, I resent you implication that my PF is a little morning pain that goes away as the day wears on. I indeed have plantar faciitis and it is MUCH, MUCH more than a little pain in the morning.

I guess I'll stay over in the 'Treatments' and 'Social' boards where there are people I can relate to, who won't belittle MY case of PF.

Sincerly, Kim B.

Dr. Biehler on 10/20/00 at 19:56 (030950)

Kim B., I in no way mean to belittle your pain and suffering! As this person is new to the board I wanted to make sure that PF is the problem that is being treated. This last week I had a patient present to my office in such b/l foot pain since the 1950's that he wanted either surgery or ESWT. He was wearing his orthotics and explained how he has been treated by doctors and podiatrists for years with out help. I know this example does not apply to you, but after examining him I gave him a removable metatrasal pad for each foot and he said it was the first time he had walked pain free in 50 years. He came back this week still pain free and I wrote him a prescription so he could have a permanate orthotic made. Some times doctors get so caught up in the treatment they fail to realize the problem has changed. Dr. B.

cindyp on 10/20/00 at 21:18 (030952)

I guess I will continue the mantra. I think some of you sound like me. I thought I had pf for 7 years. Doctors can make a serious misdiagnosis. Through the magic of the mri I found out how wrong they were. I am exhuasted now just setting down, much less standing and trying to walk. The celebrex has completely stopped. Now it feels like fingers of pain are deeply infiltrating every bit of my foot even in the ankle. I swear I will end up a screaming crazy. Cannot stand to have anything touching my foot. Makes me want to put gun in mouth but I won't keep hoping better things are coming.

Scott R on 10/20/00 at 21:19 (030953)

Kim, I didn't read any callousness in Dr. B's post. I say the same thing he said in the first 2 sentences of the 2nd paragraph of my 'book':
The classic sign of plantar fasciitis (which is often confused with or considered the same as heel spurs) is heel pain with the 1st few steps in the morning (84% of our visitors). If this symptom is not present then the diagnosis of plantar fasciitis has to be checked more carefully.

However, I'll be a little like Gilligan and say that 'everyone has a point', by supporting Kim's point: 42% of the visitors to this website who have been diagnosed with or are absolutely sure they have PF say the pain is 24 hours a day. Of that subgroup, only 55% say the pain is 'moderate' or 'severe' when sitting (n=268).

Kim B. on 10/20/00 at 21:42 (030954)

Dr. B.,

I'm sorry I got my button pushed and went off on you. Sincerely.

I just can't stand for, Doctors of all people, to imply that is a simple 'morning pain' issue, or that this will go away by itself in a few months, bla, bla,... the list goes on. While those examples may be the case for many, for me, and many like me, it has not been the situation. How I wish it were.

Chronic foot pain sufferers have their pain belittled enough from unknowing friends, family members, and co-workers who just can't relate. I think as a doctor, you have to be sensitive to those of us who are dealing with severe cases. It has affected our work, home, personal and social lives, our bank books, our relationships, our self-esteem and ability to pursue things that we enjoy.

We need you to recognize that chronic, severe PF is a dibilitating illness. Please do not imply that 'true PF' is simply a morning pain issue. While that was the case for me at one level of this illness, the evidence at this board proves it can ALSO be an all day, everyday, life recking illness to deal with, especially if it is not caught early on.

Again, I apologize for jumping all over you the way I did. I'm sure you are a kind and caring doctor, but learning from this board is a two-way street. We can learn from you, and, you can learn from us.

Sincerely, Kim B.

Jill on 10/21/00 at 23:50 (031001)

Dear Dondi, Hi my name is Jill and I know how you feel. I just read yours and it sounds just like mine. Please email me and let me know how you are doing. I am in a walking cast right now trying to fix what the first dr. didn't do. I would love to hear about your experience. I am in such pain all the time. I am a server at Red Lobster in Illinios. Hope to talk to you soon ok. Jill

Dondi on 10/23/00 at 13:48 (031074)

Dr. Biehler,
Perhaps you read through my e-mail too quickly.... I stated 'I do not have pain in the morning ALONE - I have it every agonizing step.' I certainly do have pain in the morning - just not exclusively! Thank you to all the wonderfully supportive people who quickly rallied around me and offered your thoughts....