Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pacing in the kitchen..........Good Grief!

Posted by Steve P on 10/20/00 at 17:39 (030939)

Hi, All-- Today I was having a phone conversation in the kitchen, & I caught myself pacing back & forth across the room. I had probably been doing it for a couple of minutes before I caught myself.

That's right...PACING! Me, champion of the 10 Minute Rule! Me, the well known message board advocate of 'no unnecessary steps'.

I must say I was a bit amazed. My feet are feeling better all the time & I'm now about 60% recovered. Funny how, subconsciously, I let myself do a little bit more because I am so much improved.

I take this as a good sign & wanted you all to know. As I've said before, I'm improving at a rate of about 10% per month. Don't worry......I'll definitely knock off the pacing now that I caught myself.

But, all in all, I'm feeling pretty encouraged. I think I'll have a better weekend now! So, everyone please take heart. Discipline pays off. Better days are coming.

best........Steve

Re: Pacing in the kitchen..........Good Grief!

Kim B. on 10/20/00 at 21:51 (030955)

Hi Steve, Get yourself a Step Calf Stretch to use during idle time in the kitchen. I've moved mine to every room in the house, and found the kitchen as a great place to 'station it'. Good, proper calf and tendon stretches are helping me a lot. Over-doing it is not recommended of course.

Regards, and continue to heal friend!

Kim B.

Nancy S. on 10/21/00 at 07:21 (030959)

Tsk tsk, pacing in the kitchen. No, I think that's a very good sign, Steve! Isn't 60% better 10% more than you posted just a couple of weeks ago? Congratulations! What I want to know is, given the ten-minute rule, how come you're so sane?
I think you're getting ready to ask me about swimming again. Well I put the idea to my new PT yesterday, and she said . . . No, not yet! Have to do more strengthening first. I AM doing it, but I have to reach a certain level of strength before the professionals think my tendons can take the challenge of swimming -- even my kind of easy swimming, which I explained to her in an effort to get her to say, 'Oh, such wimpy swimming, sure, go right ahead.' But she wouldn't say it. Maybe she'll say it on Monday if I try something different, like hypnotizing her?
Nancy

Steve P on 10/21/00 at 08:51 (030963)

Nancy -- You're right, I was about to ask again! Thanks for beating me to it. I'm surprised your therapist won't even allow a few minutes of gentle swimming, but I agree you should go with her judgement on this.

And to answer your question: Sept 16 I posted 50% improvement, and yesterday (Oct 20) 60%, so I think I'm pretty close to having 10% improvement per month. As you know, the darn thing varies so much day to day that it's often hard to assess. But that's where I think I am overall.

best.......Steve

Beverly on 10/21/00 at 09:37 (030967)

Steve,

One thing you seem to do that I have not read anyone else doing is that 10 minute rule. Boy, I rest but that is hard to do. I am going to try to do it though. Glad you feel better.
I am feeling hopeful about the Powerstep inserts I found. I felt instant relief when I put them in my shoes. Time will tell how long.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 10/21/00 at 12:40 (030974)

Steve, my PT explained to me that pushing through water, even gently, requires quite a bit more strength around the tendons than when exercising through air (I forget how many times more, but the difference was pronounced). My former PT and the dr. concur, so . . . I'm still just working my way up to it.
Ok, you forgot to answer the sanity part of my question.
Looking forward to it -- thanks, Steve.
Nancy

Re: Plagued by insanity?

Steve P on 10/21/00 at 16:56 (030981)

I think it was W. C. Fields who said....'I'm not plagued by insanity.......I enjoy it.'

Re: Bad Judgement

Nancy S. on 10/22/00 at 21:00 (031043)

Steve, you have a W. C. Fields library? Keep 'em coming, I need 'em, and thanks a bunch.
Nancy, just one of many chickadees

Kim B. on 10/20/00 at 21:51 (030955)

Hi Steve, Get yourself a Step Calf Stretch to use during idle time in the kitchen. I've moved mine to every room in the house, and found the kitchen as a great place to 'station it'. Good, proper calf and tendon stretches are helping me a lot. Over-doing it is not recommended of course.

Regards, and continue to heal friend!

Kim B.

Nancy S. on 10/21/00 at 07:21 (030959)

Tsk tsk, pacing in the kitchen. No, I think that's a very good sign, Steve! Isn't 60% better 10% more than you posted just a couple of weeks ago? Congratulations! What I want to know is, given the ten-minute rule, how come you're so sane?
I think you're getting ready to ask me about swimming again. Well I put the idea to my new PT yesterday, and she said . . . No, not yet! Have to do more strengthening first. I AM doing it, but I have to reach a certain level of strength before the professionals think my tendons can take the challenge of swimming -- even my kind of easy swimming, which I explained to her in an effort to get her to say, 'Oh, such wimpy swimming, sure, go right ahead.' But she wouldn't say it. Maybe she'll say it on Monday if I try something different, like hypnotizing her?
Nancy

Steve P on 10/21/00 at 08:51 (030963)

Nancy -- You're right, I was about to ask again! Thanks for beating me to it. I'm surprised your therapist won't even allow a few minutes of gentle swimming, but I agree you should go with her judgement on this.

And to answer your question: Sept 16 I posted 50% improvement, and yesterday (Oct 20) 60%, so I think I'm pretty close to having 10% improvement per month. As you know, the darn thing varies so much day to day that it's often hard to assess. But that's where I think I am overall.

best.......Steve

Beverly on 10/21/00 at 09:37 (030967)

Steve,

One thing you seem to do that I have not read anyone else doing is that 10 minute rule. Boy, I rest but that is hard to do. I am going to try to do it though. Glad you feel better.
I am feeling hopeful about the Powerstep inserts I found. I felt instant relief when I put them in my shoes. Time will tell how long.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 10/21/00 at 12:40 (030974)

Steve, my PT explained to me that pushing through water, even gently, requires quite a bit more strength around the tendons than when exercising through air (I forget how many times more, but the difference was pronounced). My former PT and the dr. concur, so . . . I'm still just working my way up to it.
Ok, you forgot to answer the sanity part of my question.
Looking forward to it -- thanks, Steve.
Nancy

Re: Plagued by insanity?

Steve P on 10/21/00 at 16:56 (030981)

I think it was W. C. Fields who said....'I'm not plagued by insanity.......I enjoy it.'

Re: Bad Judgement

Nancy S. on 10/22/00 at 21:00 (031043)

Steve, you have a W. C. Fields library? Keep 'em coming, I need 'em, and thanks a bunch.
Nancy, just one of many chickadees