Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF/Heel Spur vs Stress Fracture

Posted by Linda B on 10/20/00 at 22:10 (030957)

I am very frustrated as you might imagine. I have been using a customized heel splint and doing stretching exercises. I tried iontophorhesis and wore a cast for four weeks. I have had PF symptoms for many months with point tenderness beginning in the heel in April. I had severe sciatica during the winter and was limping and it seems that the PF and heel pain increased with the sciatica. My orthopedic surgeon thought I presented like a patient with a stress fracture of the heel and put me in a hard cast which was exchanged for an air cast. My custom night splint is a bivalved cast with lots of padding and seems to help. I have extremely bad pain and limping in the morning and any time I get up after sitting for even 1/2 hour or more. So now I have had severe symptons for 7 months with no sign of relief. I used to walk 2-3 miles a day and now that is impossible. I have gained weight - walking was very therapeutic also. I had a bone scan done last month and it showed a bone spur but my surgoen thought she needed to look a the films because was pretty sure she would find a stress fracture. I don't know what to do and I'm frustrated. I hate the (Ionto) and don't want to continue) Do bone spurs in the heel indicate a sytemic problem? I have numerous bone spurs in my spine also and wonder if there is a vitamin and or diet regeim I should be on to decrease the possibility of getting another bone spur in the other foot. With this history I feel like I'm a complainer and I have serious back problem Fusion at C5-6,C6-7 and Lumbar stenosis and Spondylo L3-S1 plus facet joint involvement. The back issues are complicated by the foot thing. Any advice you have will be appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Linda

Re: PF/Heel Spur vs Stress Fracture

Linda B on 10/21/00 at 19:41 (030986)

Dr. Z or Dr. B would you please give my question some consideration . I,m anxious to take a new approach to my treatment.
Thank you

Julie F on 10/25/00 at 05:54 (031206)

Hi Linda, please don't feel like a complainer. You have real problems and are in the right place here to talk about them. I'm sure the doctors will reply to your question - I'm sure they're very busy and can't reply to everything right away (I haven't had a reply to mine yet either).

My PF started with irritation of the sciatic nerve when a slight back injury caused slight herniation of my L5-S1 disc. With osteopathic treatment that got better quite quickly, but the PF remained. I am quite sure that there are lots of interesting interconnections between foot and back problems. I'm sure you've had treatment for your back problems, but if you aren't having it currently, it might be helpful.
Regarding activity - like you, I miss walking, but swimming is a great feel-better-and-help-keep-the-weight-down substitute. Is that an idea?

All the best, Julie

PS What is the (lonto) that you hate and don't want to continue?

Julie F on 10/25/00 at 05:57 (031207)

PPS Linda, maybe you should post your questions again - your message is creeping rather far down the page and will soon disappear.

Dr. Biehler on 10/25/00 at 09:23 (031224)

If in doubt about a fracture, have a cat scan done. The bone spurs all over could be a sign of other problems such as the seronegative spondyloarthopathies like ankylosing spondylitis. Keep in mind a lot of pain felt in the heel can actually be caused by a nerve being compressed in the spine. Dr. B.

Linda B on 10/21/00 at 19:41 (030986)

Dr. Z or Dr. B would you please give my question some consideration . I,m anxious to take a new approach to my treatment.
Thank you

Julie F on 10/25/00 at 05:54 (031206)

Hi Linda, please don't feel like a complainer. You have real problems and are in the right place here to talk about them. I'm sure the doctors will reply to your question - I'm sure they're very busy and can't reply to everything right away (I haven't had a reply to mine yet either).

My PF started with irritation of the sciatic nerve when a slight back injury caused slight herniation of my L5-S1 disc. With osteopathic treatment that got better quite quickly, but the PF remained. I am quite sure that there are lots of interesting interconnections between foot and back problems. I'm sure you've had treatment for your back problems, but if you aren't having it currently, it might be helpful.
Regarding activity - like you, I miss walking, but swimming is a great feel-better-and-help-keep-the-weight-down substitute. Is that an idea?

All the best, Julie

PS What is the (lonto) that you hate and don't want to continue?

Julie F on 10/25/00 at 05:57 (031207)

PPS Linda, maybe you should post your questions again - your message is creeping rather far down the page and will soon disappear.

Dr. Biehler on 10/25/00 at 09:23 (031224)

If in doubt about a fracture, have a cat scan done. The bone spurs all over could be a sign of other problems such as the seronegative spondyloarthopathies like ankylosing spondylitis. Keep in mind a lot of pain felt in the heel can actually be caused by a nerve being compressed in the spine. Dr. B.