Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

after pf--more problems

Posted by margie r. on 10/21/00 at 19:25 (030985)

After long struggles and failure of conservative treatments, I went into a cast for 4 weeks. I came out of it pain free but very tight as far as the pf was concerned but after what I believed to be adequate rehab and stretching, I slowly resumed running and except for tightness and mild pain on the outside,middle of my arch I was feeling pretty good till I tried a hilly trail run about 6 weeks post cast. A few days later when I tried to run the pain in my lateral arch and sharp nerve pain radiating up the back of my heel totally stopped me. I've been on crutches off and on, ultrasound, nsaids, ice, massage but 4 weeks later can not yet even walk without a limp. Doc says pf is fine and so is achilles. What is going on? What do I do next?

Re: after pf--more problems

Julie F on 10/22/00 at 05:44 (031007)

Margie, I'm not a doctor and probably shouldn't be replying to your post, but I think resuming running so quickly post-cast could have been the cause of your problems. Six weeks post-cast seems awfully soon to be tackling a hilly run, or anything stronger than a short easy walk. Remember, all your muscles were weakened by the period in the cast and it's easy to strain things with too much activity too soon. Try to take it easy now, and give your injuries time to heal fully before you start running again. Good luck, Julie

Dr. Biehler on 10/26/00 at 11:44 (031338)

When working with the Cadets at West Point, it was quite common to see injurry to the lateral band of the plantar fascia after they had been running on hill work. Dr. B.

margie r on 10/28/00 at 16:09 (031531)

Thanks Dr. It's been 5 weeks now since I injured myself and I'm still walking with a limp though not as much pain--of course running is out of the question. I'm ultrasounding, massaging, icing occasionally and have recently added 10-15 min each day on a wobble board to help stretch and strengthen my ankle. (Easy wall calf stretch gives me nerve pain on the back of my heel) Any more suggestions? How much longer will this last?

Julie F on 10/22/00 at 05:44 (031007)

Margie, I'm not a doctor and probably shouldn't be replying to your post, but I think resuming running so quickly post-cast could have been the cause of your problems. Six weeks post-cast seems awfully soon to be tackling a hilly run, or anything stronger than a short easy walk. Remember, all your muscles were weakened by the period in the cast and it's easy to strain things with too much activity too soon. Try to take it easy now, and give your injuries time to heal fully before you start running again. Good luck, Julie

Dr. Biehler on 10/26/00 at 11:44 (031338)

When working with the Cadets at West Point, it was quite common to see injurry to the lateral band of the plantar fascia after they had been running on hill work. Dr. B.

margie r on 10/28/00 at 16:09 (031531)

Thanks Dr. It's been 5 weeks now since I injured myself and I'm still walking with a limp though not as much pain--of course running is out of the question. I'm ultrasounding, massaging, icing occasionally and have recently added 10-15 min each day on a wobble board to help stretch and strengthen my ankle. (Easy wall calf stretch gives me nerve pain on the back of my heel) Any more suggestions? How much longer will this last?