Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hand reflexology

Posted by Julie on 10/22/00 at 03:18 (031004)

A while ago there was a discussion about reflexology, which some people had tried and found painful. So I'd like to share something with you all on this topic.

Yesterday I gave a yoga workshop. As is usual lately, I explained why I was wearing shoes and told the 45 participants a little about PF (I like to do this in case you I find someone else who is suffering and doesn't know why and is still struggling in bare feet!).At lunchtime a woman came up to me and asked me if I'd tried reflexology. When I said I hadn't, she said 'Let me show you something.' She then found the point on my right hand which corresponds to the heel insertion point where my main pain is, and massaged it. It was easy to find, because it was the only point in the vicinity she explored that was sensitive, and in fact there is a hard little nodule there. I told her I'd been massaging my foot, and she said 'try this instead, two minutes a day: it will get energy to the foot without hurting you'.

In case you feel like trying this, you'll find the point on the (same-side-as-the-foot) hand, in the pad near the wrist on the little finger side.

All the best, Julie

Re: Hand reflexology

Nancy S. on 10/22/00 at 20:37 (031039)

Thanks for posting this, Julie. You never know . . . Following your instructions, I did find a markedly sensitive spot on my hand in the area you described, and I'll work on it and see if it helps. God knows I have the extra little time it takes!
Nancy

Re: Hand reflexology - and Acu Flex

Julie F on 10/23/00 at 02:02 (031054)

Nancy, I hope it doe.! Anything that helps....particularly if it doesn't hurt!

I've ordered a pair of Acu-Flexes (Acu-Flex-i? - reminds me of the old saw about the plural of mongoose, do you know it?) from Alan and wonder if you are still using yours and finding them helpful. Could we have another update please?

All the best, Julie

Re: Acu-Flex Update

Nancy S. on 10/23/00 at 12:11 (031071)

Hi Julie,
For me it's two thumbs up for Acu-Flex, going higher all the time. I think they're terrific, and my only frustration is with the limits my tendonitises condition places on my use of them. Despite those, the Acu-Flex is allowing me the maximum of what my feet are capable of right now, and I don't know what I'd do without them. I can do only certain things with them right now because of the tendonitis, but those things are very important for me. For strengthening, I use a variety of combinations -- all toe and foot loops, just the big toe loop, just the other four toe loops -- and as each week goes by I can increase the resistance as my conditions allow.
The strength in my feet has increased remarkably since I started using them -- my dr. (whom I saw again this morning) continues to be amazed at the increase in strength. When I started out, ANY strengthening exercise I did had my worse foot (which has PF also) shaking all over the place, totally out of control. I've worked up now to where it barely shakes; and when I increase the resistance and challenge it more, a bit more shaking first appears, and then gets better within about 4 days; there is mucho better control.
I do several different stretches with them, again with total control over the pull and using a variety of the loops, and that too is gradually increasing over time.
I use Acu-Flex 3 times a day, and if I'm going anywhere, I make sure to use it right before I go because my feet feel their best right after I use it.
There is more pronounced improvement in my right foot, which has only the tendonitises and no PF (a miracle I haven't gotten PF in that foot after all this time). My left foot is slower and started out in much worse condition; my dr. continues to tell me that I've had these problems for so long that he still expects months of PT and exercising&stretching before I feel no pain and can walk right; a lot of scar tissue is a big problem right now. (He believes custom orthotics are a necessity for me at this point also, and I go for the evaluation on Thursday.)
Anyway, I hope you find Acu-Flex as helpful as I have -- I think I'll be using them for the rest of my life, which is ok, because they're actually fun compared to other forms of stretching and strengthening I've tried -- I've usually been quite bad at sticking to regimens like this.
The old saw about plural of mongoose . . . hmmm . . . I know I've always had to look it up! Is there a joke/story to go with it? All jokes and stories welcome in my house!
Nancy

Julie F on 10/23/00 at 17:08 (031083)

Hi Nancy

Here's the mongoose joke.

A man wanted a mongoose. Then he decided he wanted two. So he wrote to the zoo and asked them to send him a pair of mongeese. That didn't look right, so he crossed it out and asked for a pair of mongooses. That looked strange too, so he wrote 'Please send me a mongoose, and while you're at it send me another one.'

Thanks for the update on Acu-Flex. I'm really glad they've helped you so much - I think it's important to enjoy whatever exercise you do, and you obviously love your Acu-Flex...uh oh, and your other Acu-Flex. I can't wait for mine to arrive, though I expect I'll have to as they have rather a long way to travel.

All the best, Julie

Re: Acu-Flex Update,question for Nancy

SueS on 10/23/00 at 21:23 (031099)

Nancy, do you think just ordering one Acu-Flex would be beneficial. I realize it would take longer to do the exercise. Thanks

Re: Acu-Flex Update - many thanks again

Julie F on 10/24/00 at 03:08 (031118)

Hi Nancy

It was late last night when I got home and read your post and now I've read it again I want to thank you again. It's wonderful that you've found something that helps so much and that you like so much! It must be a godsend for you on bad days. I'm grateful for your full explanation of how you use it and have printed it out for reference once mine arrive(s) (still going on about plurals! - I know you're an editor and I have a publishing background too).

I was reading your other post, and I thought Wendy's reply was splendid. I agreed with every word of it and if it were me, I'd probably be inspired by it to go. But only you can decide, and I guess my strongest feeling is that you know best how to take care of yourself - and taking care of yourself really is the most important thing. Your family will surely understand that if you decide not to go.

I'm in a slightly similar situation - we are going to Berlin for a few days in two weeks to see a friend's exhibition. I considered not going, because I know I'm not going to be able to walk as much as I'll want to. But I've only got mild PF, and I know I can control it as long as I'm sensible and don't go overboard with excitement about being in an exciting city - I just won't be able to do everything. But if I had your tendonitises and your pain, I don't think I would go. In your situation it's the long drive that would worry me - if you do go, you'll be able to rest once you get there. Anyway, I'm sure you'll make the right decision and be comfortable with it once it's made.

And good luck with your evaluation on Thursday. Be optimistic about the orthotics; if you get the right ones this time, they may help!

All the best, Julie

Nancy S. on 10/24/00 at 04:12 (031119)

Sue S: Yes, I do think one Acu-Flex would be beneficial. I'd rather have one than none; but personally I'd rather have the two I have than one. Aside from the time it saves (which is important for a slacker like me), I think I like two, and working both feet and legs at once, because I know each side is getting the same workout. Also, since one of my feet is much worse than the other, I feel I can gauge my progress better by using two at the same time and comparing. But this is just me. I think one can be just as beneficial if the person is really dedicated and uses it on both feet to keep both feet (not just a bad foot) in good condition.
Nancy

Julie F on 10/24/00 at 05:29 (031126)

Hi Nancy

Yes, I'd got the idea from your posts that you're definitely a midnight oil burner! I'm definitely not, but when its 8am here (a good time for me for posting) its 3am in New York and probably 1am in Texas? (You're up very early this morning, too, aren't you?

I'm glad you liked the mongoose story. I got it from my mother about 50 years ago and don't know where she got it. I thought you'd probably know it, but if it was new and you got a laugh out of it, great.

My publishing background was 3 years at University of Chicago Press, 22 years (after emigrating to UK in 1961) at Oxford University Press, 7 years at HarperCollins (when it was Collins and then for awhile after the takeover). All the publicity/copywriting/promotion jobs. I took 'early retirement' in 1990 to concentrate on teaching and writing (articles, books) about yoga. Now I seem to be working harder than ever. Retirement? What's that? And where are you working now?

I'm glad you've decided to go to Michigan. I'm sure Wendy is right. Now you've made up your mind, you'll be feeling good about it and organizing yourself to get the most out of it - feet-wise and soul-wise. I hope you have a great time. Yes, I'm going to Berlin, and looking forward to it. (I was a bit discouraged yesterday, my first full day back teaching after a few weeks' break. Monday is my 'hard' day, two classes in different parts of London with trains, buses, and walks to, from and in between - and standing at times in the class. Last night I came home fairly sore - but this morning I'm ok so I'm feeling encouraged. I hope that bouncing back increasingly quickly from a setback is a good sign.)

All the best, Julie

Nancy N on 10/24/00 at 08:53 (031138)

Sue--

I asked the same question before I got my Acu-Flex. Like the rest of us, once you've shelled out a lot of cash on this problem, you're not too interested in spending any more! But Nancy pointed out to me that it could be beneficial to have both because my left foot has done so much compensating for my right over the past year (and since I previously had PF in that foot, I am in no hurry to get it back!). So I did get both, and I'm glad I did. I think it's easier to do both feet at the same time. Last week I had some trouble with the left so I only worked on the right, and it felt really unbalanced to me. I'm glad I'm back to both of them now, and would recommend you get both because I think it's easier for you to use them together.

I've actually slacked off with the Acu-Flex lately but am trying to get back to where I was before--I haven't felt as good since life went nuts on me a few weeks ago and I didn't have as much time to use it. Keep your fingers crossed--I hope this isn't another instance where I opened my big mouth and declared that something was working, and then the Jinx took over and saw to it that I regressed. It's happened so many times before that I almost expect it now... I think I'm going to have to talk to my massage therapist neighbor about working on my foot, too.

Re: Hand reflexology

Nancy S. on 10/22/00 at 20:37 (031039)

Thanks for posting this, Julie. You never know . . . Following your instructions, I did find a markedly sensitive spot on my hand in the area you described, and I'll work on it and see if it helps. God knows I have the extra little time it takes!
Nancy

Re: Hand reflexology - and Acu Flex

Julie F on 10/23/00 at 02:02 (031054)

Nancy, I hope it doe.! Anything that helps....particularly if it doesn't hurt!

I've ordered a pair of Acu-Flexes (Acu-Flex-i? - reminds me of the old saw about the plural of mongoose, do you know it?) from Alan and wonder if you are still using yours and finding them helpful. Could we have another update please?

All the best, Julie

Nancy S. on 10/23/00 at 12:11 (031071)

Hi Julie,
For me it's two thumbs up for Acu-Flex, going higher all the time. I think they're terrific, and my only frustration is with the limits my tendonitises condition places on my use of them. Despite those, the Acu-Flex is allowing me the maximum of what my feet are capable of right now, and I don't know what I'd do without them. I can do only certain things with them right now because of the tendonitis, but those things are very important for me. For strengthening, I use a variety of combinations -- all toe and foot loops, just the big toe loop, just the other four toe loops -- and as each week goes by I can increase the resistance as my conditions allow.
The strength in my feet has increased remarkably since I started using them -- my dr. (whom I saw again this morning) continues to be amazed at the increase in strength. When I started out, ANY strengthening exercise I did had my worse foot (which has PF also) shaking all over the place, totally out of control. I've worked up now to where it barely shakes; and when I increase the resistance and challenge it more, a bit more shaking first appears, and then gets better within about 4 days; there is mucho better control.
I do several different stretches with them, again with total control over the pull and using a variety of the loops, and that too is gradually increasing over time.
I use Acu-Flex 3 times a day, and if I'm going anywhere, I make sure to use it right before I go because my feet feel their best right after I use it.
There is more pronounced improvement in my right foot, which has only the tendonitises and no PF (a miracle I haven't gotten PF in that foot after all this time). My left foot is slower and started out in much worse condition; my dr. continues to tell me that I've had these problems for so long that he still expects months of PT and exercising&stretching before I feel no pain and can walk right; a lot of scar tissue is a big problem right now. (He believes custom orthotics are a necessity for me at this point also, and I go for the evaluation on Thursday.)
Anyway, I hope you find Acu-Flex as helpful as I have -- I think I'll be using them for the rest of my life, which is ok, because they're actually fun compared to other forms of stretching and strengthening I've tried -- I've usually been quite bad at sticking to regimens like this.
The old saw about plural of mongoose . . . hmmm . . . I know I've always had to look it up! Is there a joke/story to go with it? All jokes and stories welcome in my house!
Nancy

Julie F on 10/23/00 at 17:08 (031083)

Hi Nancy

Here's the mongoose joke.

A man wanted a mongoose. Then he decided he wanted two. So he wrote to the zoo and asked them to send him a pair of mongeese. That didn't look right, so he crossed it out and asked for a pair of mongooses. That looked strange too, so he wrote 'Please send me a mongoose, and while you're at it send me another one.'

Thanks for the update on Acu-Flex. I'm really glad they've helped you so much - I think it's important to enjoy whatever exercise you do, and you obviously love your Acu-Flex...uh oh, and your other Acu-Flex. I can't wait for mine to arrive, though I expect I'll have to as they have rather a long way to travel.

All the best, Julie

SueS on 10/23/00 at 21:23 (031099)

Nancy, do you think just ordering one Acu-Flex would be beneficial. I realize it would take longer to do the exercise. Thanks

Julie F on 10/24/00 at 03:08 (031118)

Hi Nancy

It was late last night when I got home and read your post and now I've read it again I want to thank you again. It's wonderful that you've found something that helps so much and that you like so much! It must be a godsend for you on bad days. I'm grateful for your full explanation of how you use it and have printed it out for reference once mine arrive(s) (still going on about plurals! - I know you're an editor and I have a publishing background too).

I was reading your other post, and I thought Wendy's reply was splendid. I agreed with every word of it and if it were me, I'd probably be inspired by it to go. But only you can decide, and I guess my strongest feeling is that you know best how to take care of yourself - and taking care of yourself really is the most important thing. Your family will surely understand that if you decide not to go.

I'm in a slightly similar situation - we are going to Berlin for a few days in two weeks to see a friend's exhibition. I considered not going, because I know I'm not going to be able to walk as much as I'll want to. But I've only got mild PF, and I know I can control it as long as I'm sensible and don't go overboard with excitement about being in an exciting city - I just won't be able to do everything. But if I had your tendonitises and your pain, I don't think I would go. In your situation it's the long drive that would worry me - if you do go, you'll be able to rest once you get there. Anyway, I'm sure you'll make the right decision and be comfortable with it once it's made.

And good luck with your evaluation on Thursday. Be optimistic about the orthotics; if you get the right ones this time, they may help!

All the best, Julie

Nancy S. on 10/24/00 at 04:12 (031119)

Sue S: Yes, I do think one Acu-Flex would be beneficial. I'd rather have one than none; but personally I'd rather have the two I have than one. Aside from the time it saves (which is important for a slacker like me), I think I like two, and working both feet and legs at once, because I know each side is getting the same workout. Also, since one of my feet is much worse than the other, I feel I can gauge my progress better by using two at the same time and comparing. But this is just me. I think one can be just as beneficial if the person is really dedicated and uses it on both feet to keep both feet (not just a bad foot) in good condition.
Nancy

Julie F on 10/24/00 at 05:29 (031126)

Hi Nancy

Yes, I'd got the idea from your posts that you're definitely a midnight oil burner! I'm definitely not, but when its 8am here (a good time for me for posting) its 3am in New York and probably 1am in Texas? (You're up very early this morning, too, aren't you?

I'm glad you liked the mongoose story. I got it from my mother about 50 years ago and don't know where she got it. I thought you'd probably know it, but if it was new and you got a laugh out of it, great.

My publishing background was 3 years at University of Chicago Press, 22 years (after emigrating to UK in 1961) at Oxford University Press, 7 years at HarperCollins (when it was Collins and then for awhile after the takeover). All the publicity/copywriting/promotion jobs. I took 'early retirement' in 1990 to concentrate on teaching and writing (articles, books) about yoga. Now I seem to be working harder than ever. Retirement? What's that? And where are you working now?

I'm glad you've decided to go to Michigan. I'm sure Wendy is right. Now you've made up your mind, you'll be feeling good about it and organizing yourself to get the most out of it - feet-wise and soul-wise. I hope you have a great time. Yes, I'm going to Berlin, and looking forward to it. (I was a bit discouraged yesterday, my first full day back teaching after a few weeks' break. Monday is my 'hard' day, two classes in different parts of London with trains, buses, and walks to, from and in between - and standing at times in the class. Last night I came home fairly sore - but this morning I'm ok so I'm feeling encouraged. I hope that bouncing back increasingly quickly from a setback is a good sign.)

All the best, Julie

Nancy N on 10/24/00 at 08:53 (031138)

Sue--

I asked the same question before I got my Acu-Flex. Like the rest of us, once you've shelled out a lot of cash on this problem, you're not too interested in spending any more! But Nancy pointed out to me that it could be beneficial to have both because my left foot has done so much compensating for my right over the past year (and since I previously had PF in that foot, I am in no hurry to get it back!). So I did get both, and I'm glad I did. I think it's easier to do both feet at the same time. Last week I had some trouble with the left so I only worked on the right, and it felt really unbalanced to me. I'm glad I'm back to both of them now, and would recommend you get both because I think it's easier for you to use them together.

I've actually slacked off with the Acu-Flex lately but am trying to get back to where I was before--I haven't felt as good since life went nuts on me a few weeks ago and I didn't have as much time to use it. Keep your fingers crossed--I hope this isn't another instance where I opened my big mouth and declared that something was working, and then the Jinx took over and saw to it that I regressed. It's happened so many times before that I almost expect it now... I think I'm going to have to talk to my massage therapist neighbor about working on my foot, too.