Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doctor's view of heel pain patients

Posted by Scott R on 10/22/00 at 14:38 (031019)

Dr Z and Dr. B, do you have any observations / additions to this quote I found?

'Heel pain for the average orthopedist and podiatrist ... is a real headache sort of condition. A lot of people have it, it bothers them a lot, ... the treatments that are rendered are not particularly economically enhancing to their practices ... it's a patient that takes up a lot of time in the doctor's office, and the doctor ends up giving a presciption and exercises and sometimes injections, none of which are particularly economically beneficial to him as a practitioner, and not real great resolution of the patient's problems, ... ' - an M.D.

Re: Doctor's view of heel pain patients

DR. Zuckerman on 10/22/00 at 15:01 (031021)

If we are talking about the average podiatrist and or foot orthopedics
I can't comment about individual doctors. I do know in my office over the past twenty two years it has been one of the most gratifing experiences resolving the thousands of heel pain problems. I do know that you have to keep updated with the most current treatments such as ESWT. The mission in my war with pf and or heel pain has always been the following . Try to get rid of the pain as soon as you can without causing long term damage to the human foot. The typical doctor's opinion that heel pain will just go away isn't true. Treat the heel pain and the entire patient as well. I can talk about this topic and my briefs for hours. I do believe that if I didn't take heel pain seriously I would never have found heelspurs.com and ESWT. So either the doctor invests his time into the field of heel pain he j better not treat heel pain at all. At the very least he should have the ability to know how to refer to other doctors that that can help his patients if he can't . Bottom Line : heel pain is a very serious complaint that must be taken seriously by both the doctor and the patients.

Nancy S. on 10/22/00 at 21:05 (031045)

VERY interesting quote, Scott. Where did it come from, or can you not say? It fits my first pod's approach/attitude to a T; if I hadn't spent months trying to get somewhere with him, I might never have even had the need to find this board. Odd, disquieting thought.
Nancy

Re: Re:Dr. Z : AMEN!!!! eom

Richard C.Ped on 10/23/00 at 09:39 (031067)

eom

DR. Zuckerman on 10/22/00 at 15:01 (031021)

If we are talking about the average podiatrist and or foot orthopedics
I can't comment about individual doctors. I do know in my office over the past twenty two years it has been one of the most gratifing experiences resolving the thousands of heel pain problems. I do know that you have to keep updated with the most current treatments such as ESWT. The mission in my war with pf and or heel pain has always been the following . Try to get rid of the pain as soon as you can without causing long term damage to the human foot. The typical doctor's opinion that heel pain will just go away isn't true. Treat the heel pain and the entire patient as well. I can talk about this topic and my briefs for hours. I do believe that if I didn't take heel pain seriously I would never have found heelspurs.com and ESWT. So either the doctor invests his time into the field of heel pain he j better not treat heel pain at all. At the very least he should have the ability to know how to refer to other doctors that that can help his patients if he can't . Bottom Line : heel pain is a very serious complaint that must be taken seriously by both the doctor and the patients.

Nancy S. on 10/22/00 at 21:05 (031045)

VERY interesting quote, Scott. Where did it come from, or can you not say? It fits my first pod's approach/attitude to a T; if I hadn't spent months trying to get somewhere with him, I might never have even had the need to find this board. Odd, disquieting thought.
Nancy

Re: Re:Dr. Z : AMEN!!!! eom

Richard C.Ped on 10/23/00 at 09:39 (031067)

eom