Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FINALLY... Pain Free !

Posted by Teri H on 10/22/00 at 19:42 (031037)

I began suffering severe pain in my left heel last March. Thinking I had stepped on something and it was just a 'stone bruise', I went on waiting for time to heal it (for almost 3 months.) Realizing this was something else, I went to the internet and found a webpage, such as this one, on PF. I made an appointment with my doctor. She ordered X-Rays, validated my self diagnosis and prescrived Vioxx. This worked well for me but the side effects of taking this type of anti-inflammatory for long periods of time didn't really set well with me. I discontinued Vioxx and purchased the PF night splint. This worked like magic... when I could stand to wear it. It was so uncomfortable (for me) that often I had to make a decision; Do I want a restful night's sleep? or Do I want to get up out of bed the next morning without my heel pain and be tired all day? I still wear the night splint but not when I sleep. I wear it when I'm going to be on the couch for a while watching a movie or reading a book.

In desperation, I visited my local health food store. The clerk helped me look up remedies for 'heel pain' and 'bone spurs'. The following, taken together, were listed as actually disolving bone spurs over time and speeding repair to injured soft tissue. I began taking these two weeks ago and after seven months of an altered lifstyle because of the pain, I've almost forgotten it altogether. I'm ready to head back to the gym and start working out again.

Vitamin C 5000mg/day Cal-Mag-Zinc 4 tablets/day (The Cal-Mag-Zinc I purchased has 333mg calcium, 133mg magnesium and 5mg of zinc) Super B-Complex 1 tablet/day and Bioflavonoids 500mg/day.

I don't take all these at once but take half in the morning with breakfast and the other half at dinner that evening.

As a side note: Limping and shifting my weight on my foot to ease the pain when I walked for all those months caused unusual wear and tear on my left knee. As a tip from a co-worker I began taking Glucosamine. It only took two days to relieve the pain in my knee.

My job doesn't allow me to sit at my desk much. I'm on my feet and on the run more often than not. Finding this 'cure' has been a God send for me.

All these are inexpensive and can be found at your local WalMart or drug store if you don't have a local health food store. Of course, I can't gaurantee these will work for you, but it sure did the trick for me.

** There is no financial connection between myself (or anyone in my family) and any vitamin or health product.

Re: FINALLY... Pain Free !

Julie F on 10/23/00 at 02:08 (031055)

Teri, thanks for all this helpful information. I particularly appreciate your tip about wearing the night splint not while trying to sleep, but while at rest during the day. I've been contemplating the night splint but have been put off so far by the reports of the discomfort they cause in bed at night. Getting the benefit without losing the sleep sounds good to me.

All the best, Julie

Re: FINALLY... Pain Free !

Julie F on 10/23/00 at 02:08 (031055)

Teri, thanks for all this helpful information. I particularly appreciate your tip about wearing the night splint not while trying to sleep, but while at rest during the day. I've been contemplating the night splint but have been put off so far by the reports of the discomfort they cause in bed at night. Getting the benefit without losing the sleep sounds good to me.

All the best, Julie