Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortizone shot next week: A few questions to get the most out of it for PF/PTT

Posted by Beverly on 10/23/00 at 18:49 (031088)

Dear Dr. Z/Dr. B.,

I have my first cortizone shot set for next week on Nov. 1. If I can take it, I'm going to get one in each foot since I have bilateral PF and PTT. It will be given by my sports med doc's physican's assist.

Here is my delimma. My PF, the older injury, is not nearly as painful as my newer PTT. At times, I think the PF is trying to get better but the PTT keeps slowing down the PF or perhaps it is the other way around and the lingering PF is slowing down the healing of the PTT.

At any rate, where would be the best place to get the shot?
On a scale of pain, I would rate my worst pain at the inner ankles. My next to worse pain is in the arches, and then I have some pain in the heels. The arch pain has been the most consistant. I've had it since I got PF. My heel pain continues to improve some. My physical therapist says my feet are not as squishy as they were but my inner ankle tendon is very squishy all the way up to the top of my calf.

So, with PF and PTT, where would be the best place to get the shot?

Thank you so much. After this, I have putting myself on a moritorium for question asking you two for at least the next couple of weeks.
Beverly

Re: Cortizone shot next week: A few questions to get the most out of it for PF/PTT

Dr. Biehler on 10/24/00 at 08:06 (031132)

If your heel pain is improving, I would hate to jepordize this with a shot. You have to discuss this with your doctor and what you are exspecting from the shot. Dr. B.

Re: How would one shot jepordize me? Main thing I hope is for PTT to calm down.

Beverly on 10/24/00 at 13:07 (031154)

Dr B,

I'm confused. How would one cortizone shot to each foot jepordize me?
I thought rupture risks were primarily a concern on the second shot.
The main thing I'd like to get out of the cortizone shot is for the PTT in my ankles to go away and to get some relief from the PF pain in my arches. I feel like I was starting to get better before the PTT. But the PTT set me backwards.

My heel pain is minimal if in Birks. Other shoes give some heel pain. But nothing compared to the pain in my ankles/arch.
I am rotating shoes, because the Birks do wonders for my heels and some good for the arch pain but not as good for my ankles. My athletic shoes with inserts give my ankles good support but don't give as much heel pain relief.
Thank you,
Beverly

Dr. Biehler on 10/25/00 at 09:29 (031226)

I use cotizone shots and have had good results with them. I usually wait untill there is a failure of improvement be for I go for the shots. If you think the timming is right for you, I hope they do the job!. D. B.

Re: Cortizone shot next week: A few questions to get the most out of it for PF/PTT

Dr. Biehler on 10/24/00 at 08:06 (031132)

If your heel pain is improving, I would hate to jepordize this with a shot. You have to discuss this with your doctor and what you are exspecting from the shot. Dr. B.

Beverly on 10/24/00 at 13:07 (031154)

Dr B,

I'm confused. How would one cortizone shot to each foot jepordize me?
I thought rupture risks were primarily a concern on the second shot.
The main thing I'd like to get out of the cortizone shot is for the PTT in my ankles to go away and to get some relief from the PF pain in my arches. I feel like I was starting to get better before the PTT. But the PTT set me backwards.

My heel pain is minimal if in Birks. Other shoes give some heel pain. But nothing compared to the pain in my ankles/arch.
I am rotating shoes, because the Birks do wonders for my heels and some good for the arch pain but not as good for my ankles. My athletic shoes with inserts give my ankles good support but don't give as much heel pain relief.
Thank you,
Beverly

Dr. Biehler on 10/25/00 at 09:29 (031226)

I use cotizone shots and have had good results with them. I usually wait untill there is a failure of improvement be for I go for the shots. If you think the timming is right for you, I hope they do the job!. D. B.