Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new mom

Posted by Amy B on 10/24/00 at 10:27 (031143)

I have suffered with PF for 11 months now. I am also nursing my 5 month old baby. Sometimes during the night, I am afraid that I will drop him because the pain is so excruciating. My podiatrist is concerned about different medications and/or injections for fear that they may be passed to the baby. Are there any other breastfeeding moms and if so, what has worked for you?

Re: new mom

Barbara TX on 10/24/00 at 11:11 (031144)

Hello Amy!

Congratulations on your new baby... and on nursing. It is a very loving healthy thing to do for your baby, and for you. I nursed a baby with PF, and here are some of the conservative things that I tried. My baby was older, and so I considered the medications I took safe for her. A pediatrician may not consider them for a younger baby. Check and see. All the rest of the stuff is OK for baby.

Ibuprofen
Naprosyn (over the counter Aleve)
Cortisone injection (my ped OK'd this)
Wearing a night splint
Stretching my calves slowly and gently
Having a chiropractor check and adjust my ankle and foot joints. You may need custom-made orthotics if your gait can't be corrected and it is causing the PF.
Sleeping with the baby so I wouldn't have to get up during the night.
A baby sling (NoJo Brand) to keep the baby closer to me and distribute her weight more evenly. The Baby Book by Dr. Sears explains in detail how to use the sling (pictures too). He also explains safe co-sleeping.
Keep diaper supplies and extra clothes close to you during the day to avoid unnecessary walking around.
Mega-Vitamin C (6000mg a day) if you and baby can tolerate it well. You should be paying very close attention to your supplements anyway (especially good protein) because you are nursing.
Don't walk the baby... buy a swing, rocking chair, or have Dad do it.
No shopping - use the internet. It is amazing the shopping you can avoid. I even order my weekly groceries on-line.

You really may want to reasses your patterns during the day to get your maximum amount of rest. Nap when baby naps. Put a rolling office chair in the kitchen to cook. I cooked while baby was in the sling, but this takes extra caution. If you need a break (and you will!) take a drive in the car or go swimming at the gym.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have tried ESWT before any injections or medications but I didn't find out about it in time. I had already weaned the baby. I had ESWT in NJ with Dr. Zuckerman about a week ago. Although you can't get ESWT while you are pregnant, it is safe for nursing mothers. Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions you may have, and do a search on 'nursing' and 'breastfeeding' in the archives.

Best of luck to you! Let us know how you're doing. B.

DR. Zuckerman on 10/24/00 at 20:23 (031179)

May I use this information Doctor. This is excellent advice.

Thanks,

Dr. Z

Barbara TX on 10/27/00 at 14:38 (031471)

Wendy - I know that I am replying to an old message, but you are so right about LLL. Oftentimes doctors are so 'scared' of medications and breastfeeding moms that they just say NO routinely to any kind of medication - it is simpler than doing your homework! There are many. many medications that are safe for nursing mothers. I have found that LLL and a certified LC (lactation consultant) are usually more knowledgable than even pediatricians (although many are wonderful).

My mother had to laugh about my Birkenstocks... because of having the babies at home, the family bed for babies, and the nursing sling, she said 'that sort of completes the picture, doesn't it?' B.

Barbara TX on 10/24/00 at 11:11 (031144)

Hello Amy!

Congratulations on your new baby... and on nursing. It is a very loving healthy thing to do for your baby, and for you. I nursed a baby with PF, and here are some of the conservative things that I tried. My baby was older, and so I considered the medications I took safe for her. A pediatrician may not consider them for a younger baby. Check and see. All the rest of the stuff is OK for baby.

Ibuprofen
Naprosyn (over the counter Aleve)
Cortisone injection (my ped OK'd this)
Wearing a night splint
Stretching my calves slowly and gently
Having a chiropractor check and adjust my ankle and foot joints. You may need custom-made orthotics if your gait can't be corrected and it is causing the PF.
Sleeping with the baby so I wouldn't have to get up during the night.
A baby sling (NoJo Brand) to keep the baby closer to me and distribute her weight more evenly. The Baby Book by Dr. Sears explains in detail how to use the sling (pictures too). He also explains safe co-sleeping.
Keep diaper supplies and extra clothes close to you during the day to avoid unnecessary walking around.
Mega-Vitamin C (6000mg a day) if you and baby can tolerate it well. You should be paying very close attention to your supplements anyway (especially good protein) because you are nursing.
Don't walk the baby... buy a swing, rocking chair, or have Dad do it.
No shopping - use the internet. It is amazing the shopping you can avoid. I even order my weekly groceries on-line.

You really may want to reasses your patterns during the day to get your maximum amount of rest. Nap when baby naps. Put a rolling office chair in the kitchen to cook. I cooked while baby was in the sling, but this takes extra caution. If you need a break (and you will!) take a drive in the car or go swimming at the gym.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have tried ESWT before any injections or medications but I didn't find out about it in time. I had already weaned the baby. I had ESWT in NJ with Dr. Zuckerman about a week ago. Although you can't get ESWT while you are pregnant, it is safe for nursing mothers. Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions you may have, and do a search on 'nursing' and 'breastfeeding' in the archives.

Best of luck to you! Let us know how you're doing. B.

DR. Zuckerman on 10/24/00 at 20:23 (031179)

May I use this information Doctor. This is excellent advice.

Thanks,

Dr. Z

Barbara TX on 10/27/00 at 14:38 (031471)

Wendy - I know that I am replying to an old message, but you are so right about LLL. Oftentimes doctors are so 'scared' of medications and breastfeeding moms that they just say NO routinely to any kind of medication - it is simpler than doing your homework! There are many. many medications that are safe for nursing mothers. I have found that LLL and a certified LC (lactation consultant) are usually more knowledgable than even pediatricians (although many are wonderful).

My mother had to laugh about my Birkenstocks... because of having the babies at home, the family bed for babies, and the nursing sling, she said 'that sort of completes the picture, doesn't it?' B.