Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

B-12?

Posted by Nancy N on 10/24/00 at 14:47 (031161)

My sister-in-law, who is recovering from Lyme Disease and has spent a lot of time reading up on all sorts of treatments for all sorts of things, suggested to me a few weeks ago that she thinks B-12 might help my feet. I just noticed wendyn's post about her bad case (I do hope you're feeling better!!) and she mentions B-12, too.

So what's the scoop on this vitamin? Can you tell if you're deficient without some elaborate test? How much would you take, and in what form? Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.

Re: B-12?

alan k on 10/24/00 at 16:33 (031163)

It is a simple blood test to determine B-12 deficiency, but there is disagreement in the medical community about what constitutes a low result. Some say 200 is low end of normal range, and some say it is low. A test for Homocysteine levels is, I believe, a necessary test to have in conjunction, since that would indicate the side-effect s of low B-12. Low B-12 can lead to peripheral nerve pain that can become permanent if not treated, but also can be reversed.

Sometimes B-12 absorption is hindered by intestinal problems, and so sub-lingual B-12 might be a good idea to circumvent that. B-12 shots are of course the most effective.

B-6 can also help with nerve problems, but overdosages can lead to peripheral nerve problems. A 100 mg dose daily for two months is considered safe, at least in everything I have read.

hope this helps,

alan k

wendyn on 10/24/00 at 21:12 (031184)

A simple blood test can check your levels. For tons of info check out http://www.neuropathy.org .

B12 is a water soluable vitamin, and there is no known toxic level that I have ever read of.

Typically multi vitamins have about 5 mcg. A mega B vitiamin around 50 to 100 mcg. I have seen pills at 500 mcg and 1000 mcg. Shots given in the doctors office have somewhere over 1000 mcg.

I take 50 mcg 2 times a day.

The problem with B12 is that some people do not absorb it well, and they need it injected.

Ask your doctor for a blood test next time you're in - in the mean time a dose of 50 to 100 mcg won't hurt you, you can always check with the pharmacist first to be on the safe side.

A word a caution though, someone truly deficient in B12 should not take Folic acid as a supplement. It can cover up the symptoms of B12 deficiency while still allowing neurological damage to occur (a severe B12 deficiency left untreated can eventually cause irreversible damage and eventually death). It's always best to supplement under a doctors care to avoid any rare dangers.

alan k on 10/24/00 at 16:33 (031163)

It is a simple blood test to determine B-12 deficiency, but there is disagreement in the medical community about what constitutes a low result. Some say 200 is low end of normal range, and some say it is low. A test for Homocysteine levels is, I believe, a necessary test to have in conjunction, since that would indicate the side-effect s of low B-12. Low B-12 can lead to peripheral nerve pain that can become permanent if not treated, but also can be reversed.

Sometimes B-12 absorption is hindered by intestinal problems, and so sub-lingual B-12 might be a good idea to circumvent that. B-12 shots are of course the most effective.

B-6 can also help with nerve problems, but overdosages can lead to peripheral nerve problems. A 100 mg dose daily for two months is considered safe, at least in everything I have read.

hope this helps,

alan k

wendyn on 10/24/00 at 21:12 (031184)

A simple blood test can check your levels. For tons of info check out http://www.neuropathy.org .

B12 is a water soluable vitamin, and there is no known toxic level that I have ever read of.

Typically multi vitamins have about 5 mcg. A mega B vitiamin around 50 to 100 mcg. I have seen pills at 500 mcg and 1000 mcg. Shots given in the doctors office have somewhere over 1000 mcg.

I take 50 mcg 2 times a day.

The problem with B12 is that some people do not absorb it well, and they need it injected.

Ask your doctor for a blood test next time you're in - in the mean time a dose of 50 to 100 mcg won't hurt you, you can always check with the pharmacist first to be on the safe side.

A word a caution though, someone truly deficient in B12 should not take Folic acid as a supplement. It can cover up the symptoms of B12 deficiency while still allowing neurological damage to occur (a severe B12 deficiency left untreated can eventually cause irreversible damage and eventually death). It's always best to supplement under a doctors care to avoid any rare dangers.