Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about my removable cast boot, and Neurologist question

Posted by salina on 10/24/00 at 19:15 (031172)

Hello, I have been in a removable walking boot cast, its not an air cast by the way, for almost two weeks now.
The thing is, my foot is sooo much more sore now than it was before I started wearing the cast. I mean, I can't even stand to touch the insertion point, or any other point along my arch. Before starting the cast, I checked every night, and it wasn't this bad.
I go straight from the cast to the nightsplint at bedtime.
Is it normal to have increase pain in the beginning of wearing this?

And what is a neurologist? The podiatrist said I may need to have tests run by a neurologist.
thanks

Re: Question about my removable cast boot, and Neurologist question

Dr. Biehler on 10/25/00 at 08:28 (031214)

The walking cast should be reducing the pain. If the pain is getting worse you might need some kind of build up in the walking cast like an arch support or orthotic. A neurologist deals with nerves. They are the ones that run test to see if your pain is caused by nerve intrapment, etc. Dr. B.

salina on 10/25/00 at 12:14 (031236)

Thanks Dr. Biehler.
Its good news I guess that my doctor is considering putting me in for some tests.
I think I am going to put some kind of arch support in my boot.
Or try taping my foot.

salina on 10/26/00 at 12:08 (031344)

Thanks Lori.
I did the same thing. Last night I was in so much pain. But I had let things get out of control anyway. Took the girls to the park, thinking the rest of the day Iwould be resting. Had a plan.:) How many times have I done that? Well, fell through as my neighbor conned me into babysitting her crew (long story), then realized I didn't have that frozen pizza to pop in the oven like Ithought I did, and other things just kept me on my feet way too much. Anyway, I just threw off the boot cause it was hurting the back of my heel, etc etc.
Was thinking, 'this thing is killing my foot, not helping!'
But when I put my shoes on, I was surprised to find that my foot felt more comfortable than it had in a while. So I made sure to wearmy nightsplint, and am back in the boot today.
I am actually resting today. More than yesterday. I have my foot taped up right now, but am going to try putting inserts in there later.
Best of luck to you also with your boot :)

Dr. Biehler on 10/25/00 at 08:28 (031214)

The walking cast should be reducing the pain. If the pain is getting worse you might need some kind of build up in the walking cast like an arch support or orthotic. A neurologist deals with nerves. They are the ones that run test to see if your pain is caused by nerve intrapment, etc. Dr. B.

salina on 10/25/00 at 12:14 (031236)

Thanks Dr. Biehler.
Its good news I guess that my doctor is considering putting me in for some tests.
I think I am going to put some kind of arch support in my boot.
Or try taping my foot.

salina on 10/26/00 at 12:08 (031344)

Thanks Lori.
I did the same thing. Last night I was in so much pain. But I had let things get out of control anyway. Took the girls to the park, thinking the rest of the day Iwould be resting. Had a plan.:) How many times have I done that? Well, fell through as my neighbor conned me into babysitting her crew (long story), then realized I didn't have that frozen pizza to pop in the oven like Ithought I did, and other things just kept me on my feet way too much. Anyway, I just threw off the boot cause it was hurting the back of my heel, etc etc.
Was thinking, 'this thing is killing my foot, not helping!'
But when I put my shoes on, I was surprised to find that my foot felt more comfortable than it had in a while. So I made sure to wearmy nightsplint, and am back in the boot today.
I am actually resting today. More than yesterday. I have my foot taped up right now, but am going to try putting inserts in there later.
Best of luck to you also with your boot :)