Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Babs Does Jersey

Posted by Barbara TX on 10/24/00 at 22:24 (031190)

Hello PF'ers...

Last Friday I was zapped at Dr. Z's. Everything was thoroughly pleasant, although I was detained in Dallas airport security and roughed up because I was carrying toy pistols as presents for some children I would be visiting... they scanned my luggage and nearly fainted.

Anyway, I got nice people to push and pull me through the airport, and a rental car to take me from Philly to Jersey. Everyone in Dr. Z's office was very kind, and the treatment was comfortable. Everything was explained to me very well, and I enjoyed hearing about all the ESWT stuff from Dr. Z. I had another set of x-rays and Dr. Z went over my MRI, and then went over my foot joints and watched my gait. Do you know that he was the first DPM I've ever been to that ACTUALLY TOUCHED MY FEET with something other than a needle? I'm serious. He noted that I had good flexibility, and I was glad, because I had worked with a chiropractor a good long time for that. While I was being numbed up for the zapper (which doesn't hurt at all) one of the nurses brought in several boxes of chocolate for me to pick from, which for me is better than valium any day (Lori, take note).

Then, Dr. Z made one final feel for the insertion spot of the pf into the heelbone. Thank God I was numb for that. This is the reason that you want a doctor that knows foot anatomy inside and out... he has to hit a 5mm spot dead on with the head of the machine. He drew the spot on my foot with a pen and then lined up the machine. He had just put a new spark-plug in the machine and seemed pleased at the sound of the machine firing, until it began to bother his ears (it doesn't bother mine -- I have toddlers). He put ear plugs in and we both yelled at each other for awhile, and it was all over. I felt fine, except for all the cookies and chocolate I'd eaten.

Although I was told I would be numb for up to 24 hours, I was numb only another two or so, and then my foot started to ache. I drove around all day Saturday in around Lancaster. Gorgeous weather and colors. I was too sore to shop for anything, but I did a lot of gazing from the car. When I arrived home I needed a wheelchair in the airport, which dissappointed me a little, but I figure that there is no use stressing this thing out while I heal.

I feel heat and pain at the insertion point and nervy pain throughout my heel and foot can be alleviated with ice and elevation. I believe that I have a lot of compensation pain in my foot that will resolve when the PF does. I do not need Tylenol and I can walk from room to room, so I'm not back at square one by any means. Even if I was, I want this thing healed from the inside out so it won't plague me for the course of my life. Right now I am megadosing on C (6000 mg, and hoping for the best. I am also staying on Celebrex because I am a big chicken. I'll add some hard numbers to my progress report after two weeks.

The only strange thing I saw at Dr. Z's was the almost constant transportation of boxes ('empty boxes'?) to the basement door, which is in the treatment room of the little house that is Dr. Z's quarters. I wondered what was going on down there. Creepy.

Thanks for listening, y'all. B.

Re: Babs Does Jersey

Pauline on 10/25/00 at 04:33 (031204)

Babs,
Were you the winner of Dr. Z's first drawing?

Kate the box lady on 10/25/00 at 08:35 (031217)

Hi Barb,
Tell me that chocolate wasn't yummy....
I'm glad to hear that you're doing well. I still havn't gotten those measurements, but will just as soon as the victim will stand still long enough!
I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit with us as much as we enjoyed having you. Aside from the fact that we do offer this great treatment, I'd like to think that our little office is very special, but only because of our lovely patients, but because of our tremendous staff. Our technicians are so knowledgable, and caring that they add a wonderful aspect to our office.
Thanks so much for coming to visit, and please know that even though we may be more than a few miles away, our entire office if here for you whenever you need us.

Y'all come back!
Katie

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 10:24 (031227)

Pauline - I was not. The winner was a person named Mary, also from Texas. I don't think that she's had it done yet. B.

salina on 10/25/00 at 12:26 (031238)

That's great news, Barbara. I wish i was getting zapped. I tried asking my doctor if he was following the studies on eswt, or had ever heard of the orbasone, etc. And he said he had never even heard of any of this. So no luck there, :)
Take it easy. Sounds like your foot is pretty sore right now. Maybe that means it really hit the spot and is in there working away at healing you up.
Dr. Zuckerman's office sounds so wonderful. Its not funny really, but I have to laugh anyway: I called last Thursday morning to my doc's office, and asked if he could just write a little note on his stationary ( so its official looking :)) just stating what my status is, (boot cast, supposed to be RESTING, and starting PT 3x a week) so my husband could take it to work and get some time off. Well, I never heard from them, so I called Tuesday late afternoon, and the lady chewed me out for bothering her. She was so mean. She said it could take over a week maybe. For a little handwritten note?? Two lines, tops!! Anyway, I ramble, best of luck on your treatment from Dr. Z.

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 15:39 (031252)

Salina - If your doctor doesn't know about ESWT I would get one who does! My podiatrist in Dallas is ready to get a machine and is watching my progress - and very curious about it. I consider him a responsible physician because he keeps up with the medical literature and wants to save me pain and trouble. My first DPM was a total dud and knew nothing about this stuff - these guys are everywhere. I really had to trust my own judgement, especially in light of new technology that was just becoming available.

The really fine treatment I got at Dr. Z's was worth every dime and mile I spent traveling. And, I may complain about being sore, but I'm walking around my house, and each day is better than the last! I know he got the spot, because when I press there, its less tender. Now, I don't really press that hard, like, because, as I said, I'm a big chicken. Time will tell. John will keep us updated when ESWT hits Hawaii... Best to you today, B.

Beverly on 10/25/00 at 17:08 (031273)

Barbara,

I will be very curious to watch how you progress. You have as bad and probably a worse case than me.

I keep hoping Baylor or some other cutting edge medical center in Dallas or Houston will get this.

Keep us posted,
Beverly

Matt P on 10/25/00 at 20:18 (031285)

Barbara- I am watching your progress also. My podiatrist in Dallas has no idea at all what shock wave therapy is and when I mentioned lithotrypsy for kidney stone he said it might do even more damage. I supposed he thought it was used to break down the heel spur. This lower my confidence in him one step further.
Most doctors I see have their own routine treatment regime which is not much different from others. Many did not even take time to look into the real cause of the problem, may be because of incompetent or too many patient to see or other time constraint. This end up with symptom relieved somewhat but never goes away because the cause is still there. Patient gets fustrated, spending alot of money on office visit and treatment and goes nowhere. The next step is to seek out another doctor that we think may be better than the previous one. My opinion with many doctors is why pay expensive visit for their mass routine work.
I have no major pain with my PF now but believe it will come back if I goes out and do what I did before. I might change podiatrist. Heard that you live in Dallas, may be you can give me some name very good at correcting foot mechanic with orthotic.
Bye, wish good result on your recent ESWT.

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 21:37 (031291)

I know a podiatrist in the Irving area who says that he has already ordered, or is in the process of ordering a machine. His name is Jay Lifshen (and boy, does he give a good, but alas for me, useless, cortisone shot - easy as pie). The problem with this is that he has no experience. I don't want to be anybody's guinea pig or clinical trial! B.

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 21:44 (031293)

Matt - hello fellow Texas pf'er!

There is a doctor in Irving - Jay Lifshen, DPM, who is watching my progress also. He has either ordered, or is in the process of ordering a ESWT machine. The thing that I like about him is that he is getting himself educated about ESWT. The thing that I don't like about him is that he routinely does full fascia releases... in this layperson's opinion, it is better to try MIS or EPF first, but he says that he has too many patients coming back to him to do it 'all the way.' I will let you and all the Texas PF'ers know the minute he gets a machine. I plan to harrass him regularly. B.

Re: Babs Does Jersey/To Barbara

Beverly on 10/25/00 at 22:40 (031299)

Barbara,

Thanks for giving us that name. I'm not ready for EWST yet, but I sure am interested. I would not want to be anyone's guinea pig either.
But it is good to know that someone in Irving is ordering the machine.

I was hoping some big hospital like Baylor would be getting it.
I might feel differently about a doc new to EWST doing it if I knew he had been well trained. I'm really eager to see if Dr. Z. trains any Texas docs.

Did it hurt?

Take care,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 23:25 (031300)

Bev - It did not hurt a bit! Baylor was on the list of hospitals to do a clinical trial, but it got dropped somehow.

P.S. I did a little cooking STANDING UP tonight - I just forgot to use my chair. A nice feeling. B.

Julie F on 10/26/00 at 02:24 (031309)

Barbara, your description of your visit to Dr Z's office has decided me that if I ever need ESWT I will fly from London to New Jersey to have it! It's not, as far as I'm able to determine, available here. (That's true of lots of treatments - yesterday I read a report of a family who are taking their little boy who has a rare type of brain tumour to Australia, because the only (micro) surgery that can help is not available here.)

I digress. Your post was really useful: gave me hope that ESWT is 'out there' and a possibility for me if I need it, even if I have to cross the Atlantic for it. And with cheap flights, that's no problem (it's not much further than Texas, come to think of it.) Thank you very much.

All the best, Julie

Re: You Are Right. I feel like I am stuck in "The Land of the Lost" :) eom

salina on 10/26/00 at 12:30 (031347)

eom

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:18 (031395)

'housework can go to hell'! i am all for that but my wife want let me stop.

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:21 (031397)

if my doctor had 'never' heard of eswt i would change doctors. that tells me he is not keeping up with current medicine.

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:23 (031399)

london to new york is probably cheaper than dallas to new york (seriously).

Kate on 10/28/00 at 11:24 (031515)

I am so sorry that we did not have any chocolate for you.
Next time you come over for a visit, we shall spoil you endlessly.
Katie
Translation:
John,

Re: Babs Does Jersey...is that a hint John?

Kate on 10/31/00 at 07:12 (031687)

Kate
Translation:
Bestellen Sie empfangenen geehrten Herrn, ich tut mein bestes!

Kate

Pauline on 10/25/00 at 04:33 (031204)

Babs,
Were you the winner of Dr. Z's first drawing?

Kate the box lady on 10/25/00 at 08:35 (031217)

Hi Barb,
Tell me that chocolate wasn't yummy....
I'm glad to hear that you're doing well. I still havn't gotten those measurements, but will just as soon as the victim will stand still long enough!
I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit with us as much as we enjoyed having you. Aside from the fact that we do offer this great treatment, I'd like to think that our little office is very special, but only because of our lovely patients, but because of our tremendous staff. Our technicians are so knowledgable, and caring that they add a wonderful aspect to our office.
Thanks so much for coming to visit, and please know that even though we may be more than a few miles away, our entire office if here for you whenever you need us.

Y'all come back!
Katie

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 10:24 (031227)

Pauline - I was not. The winner was a person named Mary, also from Texas. I don't think that she's had it done yet. B.

salina on 10/25/00 at 12:26 (031238)

That's great news, Barbara. I wish i was getting zapped. I tried asking my doctor if he was following the studies on eswt, or had ever heard of the orbasone, etc. And he said he had never even heard of any of this. So no luck there, :)
Take it easy. Sounds like your foot is pretty sore right now. Maybe that means it really hit the spot and is in there working away at healing you up.
Dr. Zuckerman's office sounds so wonderful. Its not funny really, but I have to laugh anyway: I called last Thursday morning to my doc's office, and asked if he could just write a little note on his stationary ( so its official looking :)) just stating what my status is, (boot cast, supposed to be RESTING, and starting PT 3x a week) so my husband could take it to work and get some time off. Well, I never heard from them, so I called Tuesday late afternoon, and the lady chewed me out for bothering her. She was so mean. She said it could take over a week maybe. For a little handwritten note?? Two lines, tops!! Anyway, I ramble, best of luck on your treatment from Dr. Z.

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 15:39 (031252)

Salina - If your doctor doesn't know about ESWT I would get one who does! My podiatrist in Dallas is ready to get a machine and is watching my progress - and very curious about it. I consider him a responsible physician because he keeps up with the medical literature and wants to save me pain and trouble. My first DPM was a total dud and knew nothing about this stuff - these guys are everywhere. I really had to trust my own judgement, especially in light of new technology that was just becoming available.

The really fine treatment I got at Dr. Z's was worth every dime and mile I spent traveling. And, I may complain about being sore, but I'm walking around my house, and each day is better than the last! I know he got the spot, because when I press there, its less tender. Now, I don't really press that hard, like, because, as I said, I'm a big chicken. Time will tell. John will keep us updated when ESWT hits Hawaii... Best to you today, B.

Beverly on 10/25/00 at 17:08 (031273)

Barbara,

I will be very curious to watch how you progress. You have as bad and probably a worse case than me.

I keep hoping Baylor or some other cutting edge medical center in Dallas or Houston will get this.

Keep us posted,
Beverly

Matt P on 10/25/00 at 20:18 (031285)

Barbara- I am watching your progress also. My podiatrist in Dallas has no idea at all what shock wave therapy is and when I mentioned lithotrypsy for kidney stone he said it might do even more damage. I supposed he thought it was used to break down the heel spur. This lower my confidence in him one step further.
Most doctors I see have their own routine treatment regime which is not much different from others. Many did not even take time to look into the real cause of the problem, may be because of incompetent or too many patient to see or other time constraint. This end up with symptom relieved somewhat but never goes away because the cause is still there. Patient gets fustrated, spending alot of money on office visit and treatment and goes nowhere. The next step is to seek out another doctor that we think may be better than the previous one. My opinion with many doctors is why pay expensive visit for their mass routine work.
I have no major pain with my PF now but believe it will come back if I goes out and do what I did before. I might change podiatrist. Heard that you live in Dallas, may be you can give me some name very good at correcting foot mechanic with orthotic.
Bye, wish good result on your recent ESWT.

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 21:37 (031291)

I know a podiatrist in the Irving area who says that he has already ordered, or is in the process of ordering a machine. His name is Jay Lifshen (and boy, does he give a good, but alas for me, useless, cortisone shot - easy as pie). The problem with this is that he has no experience. I don't want to be anybody's guinea pig or clinical trial! B.

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 21:44 (031293)

Matt - hello fellow Texas pf'er!

There is a doctor in Irving - Jay Lifshen, DPM, who is watching my progress also. He has either ordered, or is in the process of ordering a ESWT machine. The thing that I like about him is that he is getting himself educated about ESWT. The thing that I don't like about him is that he routinely does full fascia releases... in this layperson's opinion, it is better to try MIS or EPF first, but he says that he has too many patients coming back to him to do it 'all the way.' I will let you and all the Texas PF'ers know the minute he gets a machine. I plan to harrass him regularly. B.

Beverly on 10/25/00 at 22:40 (031299)

Barbara,

Thanks for giving us that name. I'm not ready for EWST yet, but I sure am interested. I would not want to be anyone's guinea pig either.
But it is good to know that someone in Irving is ordering the machine.

I was hoping some big hospital like Baylor would be getting it.
I might feel differently about a doc new to EWST doing it if I knew he had been well trained. I'm really eager to see if Dr. Z. trains any Texas docs.

Did it hurt?

Take care,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 23:25 (031300)

Bev - It did not hurt a bit! Baylor was on the list of hospitals to do a clinical trial, but it got dropped somehow.

P.S. I did a little cooking STANDING UP tonight - I just forgot to use my chair. A nice feeling. B.

Julie F on 10/26/00 at 02:24 (031309)

Barbara, your description of your visit to Dr Z's office has decided me that if I ever need ESWT I will fly from London to New Jersey to have it! It's not, as far as I'm able to determine, available here. (That's true of lots of treatments - yesterday I read a report of a family who are taking their little boy who has a rare type of brain tumour to Australia, because the only (micro) surgery that can help is not available here.)

I digress. Your post was really useful: gave me hope that ESWT is 'out there' and a possibility for me if I need it, even if I have to cross the Atlantic for it. And with cheap flights, that's no problem (it's not much further than Texas, come to think of it.) Thank you very much.

All the best, Julie

Re: You Are Right. I feel like I am stuck in "The Land of the Lost" :) eom

salina on 10/26/00 at 12:30 (031347)

eom

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:18 (031395)

'housework can go to hell'! i am all for that but my wife want let me stop.

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:21 (031397)

if my doctor had 'never' heard of eswt i would change doctors. that tells me he is not keeping up with current medicine.

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:23 (031399)

london to new york is probably cheaper than dallas to new york (seriously).

Kate on 10/28/00 at 11:24 (031515)

I am so sorry that we did not have any chocolate for you.
Next time you come over for a visit, we shall spoil you endlessly.
Katie
Translation:
John,

Re: Babs Does Jersey...is that a hint John?

Kate on 10/31/00 at 07:12 (031687)

Kate
Translation:
Bestellen Sie empfangenen geehrten Herrn, ich tut mein bestes!

Kate