Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HAD EPF SURGERY 4 DAYS AGO & FEELING VERY PESSIMISSTIC WITH THE OUTCOME

Posted by LOUISE on 10/24/00 at 22:44 (031197)

Had endoscopic plantar fasciotomy 4 days ago - the 1st day home was the most painfull. Took pain meds only on that day. Thought each day would be better but the more I sit or lay down, the worse it is to walk when I get up. That's just how it was before. I realize I'm supposed to walk each hour as I was instructed but it still hurts like *&@! . Feels the same way it did, only a little worse than before the surgery. I am getting very discouraged and depressed. My bandages come off in 2 days. I don't really have a question. Just glad to know there's a place to vent my feelings. My husband tries to be comforting and is a big help but doesn't really understand my pain. Thanks for listening (reading).

Re: HAD EPF SURGERY 4 DAYS AGO & FEELING VERY PESSIMISSTIC WITH THE OUTCOME

Kate on 10/25/00 at 08:40 (031218)

Louise,
Don't be pessimistic. Remember that after the pain, the healing willcome. And the process may take awhile. Try to have faith not only in your Doctors' ability to help you heal, but in your bodys' ability to heal itself through time. While you pass the time, rent a few good movies, may I suggest 'My left foot?' Ha ha!
Be well!
kate Jurman
eswt coordinator

LOUISE on 10/25/00 at 15:52 (031256)

Thanks Kate! Great suggestions. I'm tired of sitting already. Guess I was just feeling a little down. I expected that I would be on my feet alot sooner. I don't understand why the doctor didn't prescribe a cain or crutches. Doesn't putting weight on the post surgical foot impede the healing process? What is the average time for total recuperation from EPF surgery?

Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO AVOID SCAR TISSUE PROBLEMS?

TOMMY on 10/25/00 at 16:09 (031262)

COULD STRETCHING THE FASCIA SOON AFTER SURGERY MAYBE HELP TO DECREASE THE AMOUNT OF SCAR TISSUE ONE GETS AFTER EPF SURGERY? OR PERHAPS MESSAGING THE AREA?

Re: YES ACCORDING TO MY PODIATRIST

LOUSIE on 10/27/00 at 08:26 (031437)

ASKED MY PODIATRIST THIS SAME QUESTION. BY USING A TOWEL UNDER THE BALL OF YOUR FOOT, STRETCH YOUR LEG OUT AND FLEX YOUR FOOT, EITHER FROM A SITTING POSITION OR WHILE LYING DOWN, UNTIL YOU FEEL A GOOD STRETCH IN YOU CALF AND HAM STRING AREAS. HOLD FOR A FEW MINUTES.

Re: HAD EPF SURGERY 4 DAYS AGO & FEELING VERY OPTIMISTIC NOW!

LOUISE on 10/27/00 at 08:30 (031439)

I AM SO RELIEVED I AM BEGINNING TO WALK ON MY HEEL AFTER ONLY ONE WEEK OF SURGERY. IT IS STILL A LITTLE TENDER AT THE INCISION SITES BUT I AM SO THRILLED TO BE ABLE TO PUT WEIGHT ON MY HEEL AGAIN. IT WILL PROBABLY BE ANOTHER MONTH BEFORE I CAN RETURN TO WALKING ON THE TREADMILL THOUGH. YESTERDAY MY DOC PRESSED ALL AROUND MY HEEL AND TO MY SUPRISE, IT DID NOT HURT. HE INFORMED ME THAT IT WILL BE AT LEAST 6 MONTHS BEFORE WE KNOW IF THE SURGERY WAS A SUCCESS. THERE'S STILL A CHANCE THE HEEL SPUR WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED. BUT I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU HEEL SUFFERERS OUT THERE.

Kate on 10/29/00 at 11:34 (031568)

THe recovery time for EPF is as individual as the diagnosis itself. When deciding about how much weight to put on the foot, the guideline is if it hurts....you're doing to much.
Follow your physicians instructions completely, and use your own good common sense, and you'll do very well.
THe recovery time for EPF is approximately 6-8 months.

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator

bjc on 10/30/00 at 11:55 (031637)

Louise, don't rush your recovery too much. It does take time to heal. I had epf in January, and, while I felt better in a short time, it was only after several months that I really had this under control. For me it was a combination of surgery, new shoes, and new orthotics for terrific results. I am doing everything now that I ever wanted, although I'm not sure if I would take up running or anything that would pound my feet! Good luck - epf works!

KellyD on 10/31/00 at 11:34 (031701)

Louise - the doctor won't necessarily prescribe a cane or crutches - but you can certainly use them to prolong your 'vertical' time every day! I used crutches on and off for the first 3 weeks because the short periods of allowable time on my feet weren't enough to get my everyday activities accomplished (including getting to my office). It also relieved the pressure I was putting on my good foot. Just don't push it or you'll end up with lateral destabilization and then you're really in for a painful experience. I'm 5 weeks post op and have no pain at all.

Re: HAD EPF SURGERY 4 DAYS AGO & FEELING PRETTY OPTIMISTIC WITH THE OUTCOME AFTER TWO WEEKS

LOUISE on 11/01/00 at 21:47 (031795)

HI KELLY! GLAD TO HEAR YOU HAVE NO PAIN AFTER 5 WEEKS. THAT$1S ENCOURAGING. IT HAS NOW BEEN ALMOST 2 WEEKS AND I AM FINDING THAT I CAN WALK A LITTLE MORE EACH DAY. PROBABLY SHOULD GET CRUTCHES FOR THE EVENING HOURS WHEN I$1M USUALLY AT HOME DOING CHORES. DID YOU FEEL LIKE A PINCHING FEELING IN YOUR FOOT DURING THIS STAGE$1 DID YOU HAVE PHYSICAL THERAPY, DO STRETCHING EXERCISES OR MASSAGE THE AREA WHILE YOU WERE HEALING$1 I HAVE BEEN TOLD THIS WILL HELP PREVENT SCAR TISSUE SORENESS LATER ON.

Re: HAD EPF SURGERY 2 WEEKS AGO NOW & FEELING VERY PESSIMISSTIC WITH THE OUTCOME

LOUISE on 11/01/00 at 21:58 (031796)

HI BJC - MORE ENCOURAGING NEWS - SO GLAD EPF HAS WORKED FOR YOU - THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO SHARE THESE KINDS OF FEELINGS - I TOO PROBABLY WILL NOT EVER POUND ON MY FEET AGAIN DOING STEP AEROBICS. I HAVE FOUND THAT ORTHOTICS HELPED MY FEET IMMEDIATELY AND WILL HOPEFULLY DETER THE HEEL SPUR ON MY OTHER FOOT FROM GROWING ANY LARGER. CONTINUED GOOD HEALTH TO YOU.

Re: ABOVE SHOULD READ: Re: HAD EPF SURGERY 2 WEEKS AGO NOW & FEELING VERY OPTIMISSTIC WITH THE OUTCOME

LOUISE on 11/01/00 at 22:00 (031797)

SORRY OPTIMISM INSTEAD OF PESTIMISM

Re: HAD EPF SURGERY 4 DAYS AGO & FEELING PRETTY OPTIMISTIC WITH THE OUTCOME AFTER TWO WEEKS

KellyD on 11/03/00 at 15:41 (031875)

Hi Louise - I remember some pulling in my arch from time to time - but not really pinching. The only pain I ever really felt was my arch, which my doctor described as walking on the muscle under the fascia. Until it grows back, he wanted me to be careful not to get it inflamed and told me to take advil for it. I haven't done any formal PT - just 10 minutes of stretching the foot everyday. I would think you'd want to be careful about massage at the point you're at - the fascia is really growing and filling back in right now. I'm almost at 6 weeks and my husband has started massaging it - which feels great! I'm still in a 'boot' most of the time, and just starting to practice walking in my running shoes. The first night was a little painful, but it's getting better. Good luck!

Kate on 10/25/00 at 08:40 (031218)

Louise,
Don't be pessimistic. Remember that after the pain, the healing willcome. And the process may take awhile. Try to have faith not only in your Doctors' ability to help you heal, but in your bodys' ability to heal itself through time. While you pass the time, rent a few good movies, may I suggest 'My left foot?' Ha ha!
Be well!
kate Jurman
eswt coordinator

LOUISE on 10/25/00 at 15:52 (031256)

Thanks Kate! Great suggestions. I'm tired of sitting already. Guess I was just feeling a little down. I expected that I would be on my feet alot sooner. I don't understand why the doctor didn't prescribe a cain or crutches. Doesn't putting weight on the post surgical foot impede the healing process? What is the average time for total recuperation from EPF surgery?

Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO AVOID SCAR TISSUE PROBLEMS?

TOMMY on 10/25/00 at 16:09 (031262)

COULD STRETCHING THE FASCIA SOON AFTER SURGERY MAYBE HELP TO DECREASE THE AMOUNT OF SCAR TISSUE ONE GETS AFTER EPF SURGERY? OR PERHAPS MESSAGING THE AREA?

Re: YES ACCORDING TO MY PODIATRIST

LOUSIE on 10/27/00 at 08:26 (031437)

ASKED MY PODIATRIST THIS SAME QUESTION. BY USING A TOWEL UNDER THE BALL OF YOUR FOOT, STRETCH YOUR LEG OUT AND FLEX YOUR FOOT, EITHER FROM A SITTING POSITION OR WHILE LYING DOWN, UNTIL YOU FEEL A GOOD STRETCH IN YOU CALF AND HAM STRING AREAS. HOLD FOR A FEW MINUTES.

Re: HAD EPF SURGERY 4 DAYS AGO & FEELING VERY OPTIMISTIC NOW!

LOUISE on 10/27/00 at 08:30 (031439)

I AM SO RELIEVED I AM BEGINNING TO WALK ON MY HEEL AFTER ONLY ONE WEEK OF SURGERY. IT IS STILL A LITTLE TENDER AT THE INCISION SITES BUT I AM SO THRILLED TO BE ABLE TO PUT WEIGHT ON MY HEEL AGAIN. IT WILL PROBABLY BE ANOTHER MONTH BEFORE I CAN RETURN TO WALKING ON THE TREADMILL THOUGH. YESTERDAY MY DOC PRESSED ALL AROUND MY HEEL AND TO MY SUPRISE, IT DID NOT HURT. HE INFORMED ME THAT IT WILL BE AT LEAST 6 MONTHS BEFORE WE KNOW IF THE SURGERY WAS A SUCCESS. THERE'S STILL A CHANCE THE HEEL SPUR WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED. BUT I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU HEEL SUFFERERS OUT THERE.

Kate on 10/29/00 at 11:34 (031568)

THe recovery time for EPF is as individual as the diagnosis itself. When deciding about how much weight to put on the foot, the guideline is if it hurts....you're doing to much.
Follow your physicians instructions completely, and use your own good common sense, and you'll do very well.
THe recovery time for EPF is approximately 6-8 months.

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator

bjc on 10/30/00 at 11:55 (031637)

Louise, don't rush your recovery too much. It does take time to heal. I had epf in January, and, while I felt better in a short time, it was only after several months that I really had this under control. For me it was a combination of surgery, new shoes, and new orthotics for terrific results. I am doing everything now that I ever wanted, although I'm not sure if I would take up running or anything that would pound my feet! Good luck - epf works!

KellyD on 10/31/00 at 11:34 (031701)

Louise - the doctor won't necessarily prescribe a cane or crutches - but you can certainly use them to prolong your 'vertical' time every day! I used crutches on and off for the first 3 weeks because the short periods of allowable time on my feet weren't enough to get my everyday activities accomplished (including getting to my office). It also relieved the pressure I was putting on my good foot. Just don't push it or you'll end up with lateral destabilization and then you're really in for a painful experience. I'm 5 weeks post op and have no pain at all.

LOUISE on 11/01/00 at 21:47 (031795)

HI KELLY! GLAD TO HEAR YOU HAVE NO PAIN AFTER 5 WEEKS. THAT$1S ENCOURAGING. IT HAS NOW BEEN ALMOST 2 WEEKS AND I AM FINDING THAT I CAN WALK A LITTLE MORE EACH DAY. PROBABLY SHOULD GET CRUTCHES FOR THE EVENING HOURS WHEN I$1M USUALLY AT HOME DOING CHORES. DID YOU FEEL LIKE A PINCHING FEELING IN YOUR FOOT DURING THIS STAGE$1 DID YOU HAVE PHYSICAL THERAPY, DO STRETCHING EXERCISES OR MASSAGE THE AREA WHILE YOU WERE HEALING$1 I HAVE BEEN TOLD THIS WILL HELP PREVENT SCAR TISSUE SORENESS LATER ON.

Re: HAD EPF SURGERY 2 WEEKS AGO NOW & FEELING VERY PESSIMISSTIC WITH THE OUTCOME

LOUISE on 11/01/00 at 21:58 (031796)

HI BJC - MORE ENCOURAGING NEWS - SO GLAD EPF HAS WORKED FOR YOU - THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO SHARE THESE KINDS OF FEELINGS - I TOO PROBABLY WILL NOT EVER POUND ON MY FEET AGAIN DOING STEP AEROBICS. I HAVE FOUND THAT ORTHOTICS HELPED MY FEET IMMEDIATELY AND WILL HOPEFULLY DETER THE HEEL SPUR ON MY OTHER FOOT FROM GROWING ANY LARGER. CONTINUED GOOD HEALTH TO YOU.

Re: ABOVE SHOULD READ: Re: HAD EPF SURGERY 2 WEEKS AGO NOW & FEELING VERY OPTIMISSTIC WITH THE OUTCOME

LOUISE on 11/01/00 at 22:00 (031797)

SORRY OPTIMISM INSTEAD OF PESTIMISM

KellyD on 11/03/00 at 15:41 (031875)

Hi Louise - I remember some pulling in my arch from time to time - but not really pinching. The only pain I ever really felt was my arch, which my doctor described as walking on the muscle under the fascia. Until it grows back, he wanted me to be careful not to get it inflamed and told me to take advil for it. I haven't done any formal PT - just 10 minutes of stretching the foot everyday. I would think you'd want to be careful about massage at the point you're at - the fascia is really growing and filling back in right now. I'm almost at 6 weeks and my husband has started massaging it - which feels great! I'm still in a 'boot' most of the time, and just starting to practice walking in my running shoes. The first night was a little painful, but it's getting better. Good luck!