Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotic Support Group

Posted by Pauline on 10/25/00 at 05:33 (031205)

With so many people wearing orthotics for one reason or another, I suspect there may be a need for a support group for those people who do not have them. There are many reasons they don't have them.
1. Some have never visited a Dr. for foot problems.
2. Some cannot afford them
3. Some simply cannot wear them
4. Others wouldn't be caught dead in them
5. And some simply do like the colors they come in.
The list goes on and on, but the one thing these folks have in common is the feeling of dispair knowing that someday they may be the only people left on earth without orthotics.

The anxiey of being different is taking its toll on the 'Orthoticless'. They already 'feel' different. They worry daily about their gait. The constant stares they get from bypassers wondering if they are 'you know wearing them' has forced many to abandon their daily activities. Some I've been told have actually thought about criminal activities just to get a pair. We've got to help those people who are foot loose and fancy free. We can't turn away from their dispair.

I propose the first support group to support the 'unsupported' The group needs a name. Any suggestions for this righteous cause. P.S. If you want to join let me know.

Re: Orthotic Support Group

Richard, C.Ped on 10/25/00 at 15:25 (031251)

ODAA: Orthotic Deficiency Anxiety Assemblage 'Because every rusty gait needs oil'
RG

Julie F on 10/25/00 at 16:42 (031267)

Wow, Richard! Great title. Unfortunately I can't join, being orthoticfull.

Beverly on 10/25/00 at 17:00 (031271)

I truly envy the people who get orthodics and feel relief. They just have not worked for me. I think it would be helpful if orthodics stores carried the extra-depth athletic shoes. Then, I might be able to handle orthodics. When I move back to a large city, I am going to check out the extra depth shoes. But for regular shoes, even roomy ones, they just take up too much room in the shoe.

Beverly

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 21:32 (031290)

Bev - I have this same problem with my orthotics... and the way most athletic shoes are made their footbed slopes and is not even with the floor (they have a bit of a heel). So, a poorly fitting orthotic that is crammed in the back of my tennis shoes only jacks my heel up too high and hurts the balls of my feet. B.

Richard, C.Ped on 10/25/00 at 15:25 (031251)

ODAA: Orthotic Deficiency Anxiety Assemblage 'Because every rusty gait needs oil'
RG

Julie F on 10/25/00 at 16:42 (031267)

Wow, Richard! Great title. Unfortunately I can't join, being orthoticfull.

Beverly on 10/25/00 at 17:00 (031271)

I truly envy the people who get orthodics and feel relief. They just have not worked for me. I think it would be helpful if orthodics stores carried the extra-depth athletic shoes. Then, I might be able to handle orthodics. When I move back to a large city, I am going to check out the extra depth shoes. But for regular shoes, even roomy ones, they just take up too much room in the shoe.

Beverly

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 21:32 (031290)

Bev - I have this same problem with my orthotics... and the way most athletic shoes are made their footbed slopes and is not even with the floor (they have a bit of a heel). So, a poorly fitting orthotic that is crammed in the back of my tennis shoes only jacks my heel up too high and hurts the balls of my feet. B.