Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ossatron

Posted by john h on 10/25/00 at 11:43 (031230)

The website http://www.healthtronics.com list locations where Ossatron ESWT is currently available: Atlanta,Coral Gables,Rochester,Studio City,CA, St Louis.

also coming in the next two months: dallas,chicago,boise,cape giradeau,mo., oklahoma city,seattle,fayetteville,nc., san diego,minneapolis,bakersfield,ca

Re: Ossatron

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 12:22 (031237)

John H... we are on the cutting edge, are we not? I wanted to offer my belated sympathy for your back stuff. I would think that your results completely rule out back-related foot pain. How is that foot pain these days? Are you staying at 1.5 pain level? I am still recovering, and today is better and slowly approaching pre-ESWT levels and I'm hoping for the best. It is hard to tell whether or not I have bruising (I have lots of pen marking on my foot). All the best, B.

john h on 10/25/00 at 16:04 (031259)

dr z gets carried away with that pen on the foot thing. he thinks he is some sort of village artist.

john h on 10/25/00 at 16:07 (031260)

i keep a daily pain log. for 5 days i have been a pain level 2.0. prior to that i was at 2.5 to 3.0 for about 4 weeks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/25/00 at 18:54 (031280)

If you could see my art work from grammer school you wouldn't let me draw on your foot. I can only draw the standard stickman.

john h on 10/26/00 at 10:40 (031328)

nancy: why do you say you are not an ESWT candidate. Unless you are pregnant this procedure seems so benign that i cannot imagine anyone being ruled out.

Nancy S. on 10/26/00 at 14:40 (031360)

John, I just assumed I'm not an ESWT candidate at this point because my pain is all over the place -- better than it was when all this tendonitis hit, but still there. I don't have as much PF pain as I once did, but I do get it if I'm on my feet for longer than, say, half an hour. The PF pain is still at the The Spot, but also in other parts of the heel and sometimes in the arch (the arch pain I think might be the post. tib. tendonitis).
The achilles, peroneal, and post. tib. tendonitis pain is fairly constant, but with some days better now than others.
Do you think I'm wrong about not being an ESWT candidate? I know you're the non-doctor expert now!
Nancy

Barbara TX on 10/26/00 at 16:49 (031383)

Nancy - I have pain all over my foot as well... but when Dr. Z pushed on 'the spot' (as we all refer to it wih love and tenderness) I almost flew out of the chair. It's there, and its the first pain I started out with. Y'all know my theory about getting rid of that pain so that I don't overuse the other parts of my foot. We shall see if it works! B.

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:50 (031409)

nancy: i have read in several medical journals that after a while pf that starts out in one spot can cause pain a many places on your foot. this could be caused by the way you walk in response to your foot pain or other causes. if the doctor can find the spot on your foot that he can press on and reproduce the pain and that spot is near where the fascia attaches to the heel then i suspect the doctor will say you are a good canidate for eswt. i would call dr z and discuss this with him. enter the drawing all you have to lose is your pain. i think you are missing an opportunity here.

Re: Ossatron -- Barbara and John

Nancy S. on 10/27/00 at 11:01 (031451)

Are you guys kidding me? Because I still do have That Spot! It's one of the lesser things that bother me now when I walk, but when the doc or PT pushes on it -- yow.
So the other stuff doesn't complicate my candidacy, eh?
Oh man. Now I have to ponder getting shocked to the hilt. I'm watching your progress like a hawk, you know.
Nancy

Barbara TX on 10/27/00 at 13:40 (031469)

Nancy - I think that THE SPOT is the reason for all my other troubles. Dr, Z, right where to press. If I hadn't registered that response, I wouldn't have been a good candidate at all. He checked my MRI's carefully to rule out any fractures, because I had mild fracture symptoms. Nothing there. I have compensated for THE SPOT so much that I can walk across a room and you would never know that I am putting practically no weight on my heel. I don't even realize it myself most of the time. My muscles have developed around the problem - and even my brain when I balance my weight. Even though my heel is hurting less, I still don't step on it like I should - I really have to visualize where on my foot I should stride. From my compensations I got:

Nerve pain in the ball of my foot
Twanging in my plantar fascia
Tailor bunion (little toe joint)
Pain on the outside of my foot (from all my weight being there)
Middle arch pain (I land there, instead of my heel)
Tendon pain and electric feeling on the outside of my ankle (from my ankle shifting my weight to the outside of my foot)
Top of the foot pain - I tense up the top of my foot so that my weight travels across it right to the ball of my foot, avoiding my heel.

What a mess. When all these things are at their very worst, MY HEEL PAIN IS LESS. My body is doing a really good job of shifting that weight off the heel. So, I'm going to zap that spot again and again until the pain stops, even if I have to set up a tent on Dr. Z's front lawn.

Don't worry about getting zapped. I felt no pain at all. Even when Dr. Z numbed me up, he used a nice cold spray so I wouldn't feel the needle. Think of the Orbasone as a high-tech soup spoon wacking on your heel. I will honestly report my progress so that you can judge for yourself.

By the way, despairing people out there: I AM WALKING AROUND MY HOUSE, AND THREE MONTHS AGO I WAS STUCK IN A WHEELCHAIR. Crying, crawling, getting worse each day, depressed, in constant pain - YOU NAME IT. It woke me up in the middle of the night and I needed narcotics (and scotch when that didn't work) to get any sleep. I felt that every conservative thing I tried never worked, but now I know that all those things, in combination, contributed something to turning this around. I hope ESWT is the last step. This is the kind of post I begged to see.

This is my best day yet! B.

Nancy S. on 10/27/00 at 19:31 (031482)

Fantastic post, Barbara! I'm so happy for your best day yet.
My list of compensation pain would be pretty long, too, though I don't think quite as long as yours . . .
But I do know I haven't walked right since May '99, and for the rest of that year I could barely walk at all.
Anyway, you're a heartening story now, my dear. If you say it doesn't hurt to get zapped, then I will try hard to get that in my brain. Now the only fear to get over is the horror of possibly encountering Dr. Lewi's ghost. Oh, my soul!
Nancy

Barbara TX on 10/25/00 at 12:22 (031237)

John H... we are on the cutting edge, are we not? I wanted to offer my belated sympathy for your back stuff. I would think that your results completely rule out back-related foot pain. How is that foot pain these days? Are you staying at 1.5 pain level? I am still recovering, and today is better and slowly approaching pre-ESWT levels and I'm hoping for the best. It is hard to tell whether or not I have bruising (I have lots of pen marking on my foot). All the best, B.

john h on 10/25/00 at 16:04 (031259)

dr z gets carried away with that pen on the foot thing. he thinks he is some sort of village artist.

john h on 10/25/00 at 16:07 (031260)

i keep a daily pain log. for 5 days i have been a pain level 2.0. prior to that i was at 2.5 to 3.0 for about 4 weeks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/25/00 at 18:54 (031280)

If you could see my art work from grammer school you wouldn't let me draw on your foot. I can only draw the standard stickman.

john h on 10/26/00 at 10:40 (031328)

nancy: why do you say you are not an ESWT candidate. Unless you are pregnant this procedure seems so benign that i cannot imagine anyone being ruled out.

Nancy S. on 10/26/00 at 14:40 (031360)

John, I just assumed I'm not an ESWT candidate at this point because my pain is all over the place -- better than it was when all this tendonitis hit, but still there. I don't have as much PF pain as I once did, but I do get it if I'm on my feet for longer than, say, half an hour. The PF pain is still at the The Spot, but also in other parts of the heel and sometimes in the arch (the arch pain I think might be the post. tib. tendonitis).
The achilles, peroneal, and post. tib. tendonitis pain is fairly constant, but with some days better now than others.
Do you think I'm wrong about not being an ESWT candidate? I know you're the non-doctor expert now!
Nancy

Barbara TX on 10/26/00 at 16:49 (031383)

Nancy - I have pain all over my foot as well... but when Dr. Z pushed on 'the spot' (as we all refer to it wih love and tenderness) I almost flew out of the chair. It's there, and its the first pain I started out with. Y'all know my theory about getting rid of that pain so that I don't overuse the other parts of my foot. We shall see if it works! B.

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:50 (031409)

nancy: i have read in several medical journals that after a while pf that starts out in one spot can cause pain a many places on your foot. this could be caused by the way you walk in response to your foot pain or other causes. if the doctor can find the spot on your foot that he can press on and reproduce the pain and that spot is near where the fascia attaches to the heel then i suspect the doctor will say you are a good canidate for eswt. i would call dr z and discuss this with him. enter the drawing all you have to lose is your pain. i think you are missing an opportunity here.

Nancy S. on 10/27/00 at 11:01 (031451)

Are you guys kidding me? Because I still do have That Spot! It's one of the lesser things that bother me now when I walk, but when the doc or PT pushes on it -- yow.
So the other stuff doesn't complicate my candidacy, eh?
Oh man. Now I have to ponder getting shocked to the hilt. I'm watching your progress like a hawk, you know.
Nancy

Barbara TX on 10/27/00 at 13:40 (031469)

Nancy - I think that THE SPOT is the reason for all my other troubles. Dr, Z, right where to press. If I hadn't registered that response, I wouldn't have been a good candidate at all. He checked my MRI's carefully to rule out any fractures, because I had mild fracture symptoms. Nothing there. I have compensated for THE SPOT so much that I can walk across a room and you would never know that I am putting practically no weight on my heel. I don't even realize it myself most of the time. My muscles have developed around the problem - and even my brain when I balance my weight. Even though my heel is hurting less, I still don't step on it like I should - I really have to visualize where on my foot I should stride. From my compensations I got:

Nerve pain in the ball of my foot
Twanging in my plantar fascia
Tailor bunion (little toe joint)
Pain on the outside of my foot (from all my weight being there)
Middle arch pain (I land there, instead of my heel)
Tendon pain and electric feeling on the outside of my ankle (from my ankle shifting my weight to the outside of my foot)
Top of the foot pain - I tense up the top of my foot so that my weight travels across it right to the ball of my foot, avoiding my heel.

What a mess. When all these things are at their very worst, MY HEEL PAIN IS LESS. My body is doing a really good job of shifting that weight off the heel. So, I'm going to zap that spot again and again until the pain stops, even if I have to set up a tent on Dr. Z's front lawn.

Don't worry about getting zapped. I felt no pain at all. Even when Dr. Z numbed me up, he used a nice cold spray so I wouldn't feel the needle. Think of the Orbasone as a high-tech soup spoon wacking on your heel. I will honestly report my progress so that you can judge for yourself.

By the way, despairing people out there: I AM WALKING AROUND MY HOUSE, AND THREE MONTHS AGO I WAS STUCK IN A WHEELCHAIR. Crying, crawling, getting worse each day, depressed, in constant pain - YOU NAME IT. It woke me up in the middle of the night and I needed narcotics (and scotch when that didn't work) to get any sleep. I felt that every conservative thing I tried never worked, but now I know that all those things, in combination, contributed something to turning this around. I hope ESWT is the last step. This is the kind of post I begged to see.

This is my best day yet! B.

Nancy S. on 10/27/00 at 19:31 (031482)

Fantastic post, Barbara! I'm so happy for your best day yet.
My list of compensation pain would be pretty long, too, though I don't think quite as long as yours . . .
But I do know I haven't walked right since May '99, and for the rest of that year I could barely walk at all.
Anyway, you're a heartening story now, my dear. If you say it doesn't hurt to get zapped, then I will try hard to get that in my brain. Now the only fear to get over is the horror of possibly encountering Dr. Lewi's ghost. Oh, my soul!
Nancy