Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel lifts

Posted by Julie F on 10/25/00 at 12:11 (031235)

Yesterday evening I was walking towards my class from my too-far-away parking place, my PF heel feeling sore, when I suddenly decided (I don't know why) to see what happened if I removed the 3/8' heel lifts I've been wearing. So I took them out and my heel instantly felt better. I thought 'maybe this is a fluke', but it wasn't: the improvement lasted. When I asked my podiatrist about it this afternoon, he said that heel lifts will help if the calf muscles are tight, but can cause problems if they aren't.

My calf muscles aren't tight, though they were, slightly (because of the neural tension due to my back problem when he first assessed me) which is why he gave me the lifts. Now that they're back to normal, and I have about 20 degrees of dorsiflexion, the heel lifts are not only not needed, they make things worse.

I also told him that I wasn't sure the wall stretches he gave me were right for me, that I feel as though they are pulling on Achilles; and for the same reason (calf muscles already stretched enough) he's told me to go easy on them and do foot strengthening exercises instead. He's given me a dynaband, which is bright pink and fun, but I can't wait for my Ace-Flexes (Alan, if you are listening, have you had my order and IMO?)

On another thread I posted what he said about tendonitis. So many of you have had both PF and one or other (or all three!) tendonitises that I was scared and asked him. He said that the same factors that predispose one to PF - flat feet, over-pronation - also put one at risk of tendonitis. I'm no less scared, but it's good to have the information.

All the best, Julie

Re: Heel lifts

Nancy S. on 10/25/00 at 13:55 (031243)

So Julie, I can't remember -- do you have flat feet or overpronate? That's interesting what your dr. said about PF and tendonitis. Although my feet aren't completely flat, the arch is very very low -- I guess they're almost flat.
What he said about heel lifts also makes sense. I've tried them but never felt good in them at all, even when my calves and tendons were all extremely tight. One leg is still tight but improving over time with Acu-Flex. I hope yours arrives soon.
Nancy

Julie F on 10/25/00 at 16:36 (031265)

Hi Nancy

Both! I have flat-ish feet and I over-pronate. I reckon those two, plus old age, predisposed me to PF, and then the back business triggered it off.

I should qualify the heel lifts bit. I've removed them forever from my Adidas trainers, which I wear outdoors all the time, but the jury is still out on the Birks, my indoors-all-the-time shoes. I still feel the heel bed is too low without them. But the lifts are a nuisance - they keep falling out, I don't notice when or where they do, and I have to keep huntint them. I'll keep you posted on this.

All the best, Julie

Nancy S. on 10/25/00 at 13:55 (031243)

So Julie, I can't remember -- do you have flat feet or overpronate? That's interesting what your dr. said about PF and tendonitis. Although my feet aren't completely flat, the arch is very very low -- I guess they're almost flat.
What he said about heel lifts also makes sense. I've tried them but never felt good in them at all, even when my calves and tendons were all extremely tight. One leg is still tight but improving over time with Acu-Flex. I hope yours arrives soon.
Nancy

Julie F on 10/25/00 at 16:36 (031265)

Hi Nancy

Both! I have flat-ish feet and I over-pronate. I reckon those two, plus old age, predisposed me to PF, and then the back business triggered it off.

I should qualify the heel lifts bit. I've removed them forever from my Adidas trainers, which I wear outdoors all the time, but the jury is still out on the Birks, my indoors-all-the-time shoes. I still feel the heel bed is too low without them. But the lifts are a nuisance - they keep falling out, I don't notice when or where they do, and I have to keep huntint them. I'll keep you posted on this.

All the best, Julie