Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock Footprint shoes

Posted by salina on 10/26/00 at 11:51 (031340)

Can anybody tell me about the birkenstock Footprint line of shoes?
I have the arizona sandals. But I want to get a closed shoe, with lace ups.
I have been checking out the Footprint line. but need to know if the footbed in them is like the arizona footbed.
Does anyone here wear Footprints and can tell me about them?
Or any other lace up shoes from Birkenstock?
thanks

Re: Birkenstock Footprint shoes

john h on 10/26/00 at 11:56 (031342)

salina: go the german birkenstock web site. they tell you everything you ever wanted to know about birks and have pictures. they are about half the cost at american stores. they have recently added a lot of shoes with a little bit softer footbed. i just ordered 2 pair. if you order i suggest order by air or it will come by a slow boat that must stop in hong kong on the way. i noticed a lot of the nurses wearing birks (closed front and open back) when at the hospital last week. they looked like the Boston model.

Kim B. on 10/26/00 at 12:44 (031348)

John, what is the web site address? Do you have it?

Thanks, Kim B.

AmyM on 10/26/00 at 13:37 (031353)

I have one of the footprint birks Annapolis or something like that
Its a black closed shoe with a velcro strap. I'm not sure how the footbed compares to the Arizona, I'm in the Uk and decided early on that sandals were NOT an option.
I find them very comfortable although it took about a week to break them in. THe foot bed is removalble its a cork latex mix. The shoes were expensive and won't really do in the snow but better than nothing. I rotate them with my Clarks

amym

salina on 10/26/00 at 15:14 (031361)

Hi Kim, I have the address. Its http://www.birkenstock-cn.com
Their prices are usually HALF what the same shoe would cost at other sites or in stores.
I only have one pair of the arizona sandals, and then a pair of the soft bed sandals. The softbed ones felt comfortable cause they are softer (duh!!) but after a while (like an hour) my arches were aching, so I think in the 'making it softer' part it made the arch not as good for me. I stress the 'for me' , cause that is probably not the case with other people.
When I went to the 'Footprints' style section, under 'trekking' or 'outdoor' cant remember, they have some good hiking type shoes supposedly waterproof. So they might be good for inclement conditions during winter also. I just sooooo dont want to blow any more money.
My reeboks feel cushiony, but I always end up back in my birk sandals. And my feet must swell or something off and on, cause sometimes they are too loose and slide around, then other times they are uncomfortably tight. So I keep adjusting the strap, and don't like the feel of my foot moving around so much. I like a good laced up shoe for this reason. Cause with the little ones, when I gotta move I usually have to move fast. :) And the sandals don't cut it during these times.
I tried to ask the company if the Footprint shoes have the same footbed as the Arizonas, but they always claim that ALL their shoes have the same footbed. This is not really true. OK, I'm rambling.
bye

salina on 10/26/00 at 15:17 (031362)

Amy, john h. is right. Go to this website, cause they have some new shoes that are much better for winter conditions such as snow.
I think the Tatami line, under 'outdoor' or 'trekking' has some.
But Footprints line has several to choose from. They are expensive, but I have priced the same shoes with other websites, and they are cut in half.

Nancy N on 10/26/00 at 15:51 (031369)

How much does it cost to ship them from Germany?

Barbara TX on 10/26/00 at 16:52 (031384)

Nancy - I paid 14 bucks to have them shipped 'express' and still that took two whole weeks. They also sent the wrong size, even when I faxed them outlines of my feet. I would go to a store to try them on, IMHO. Good luck in the shoe search! B.

LynMaire on 10/26/00 at 16:59 (031386)

I've ordered several pair of Birks from the German site (www.birkenstock-cn.com) over the last 3 months. The price ends up being about 1/2, but if you want even more of a saving check to see how the Euro Dollar is doing at http://www.xe.net/ucc/ before ordering.

Last month I ordered a pair in the Footprints line because I wanted an enclosed shoe, and loved the look of the Madera style. Somewhere on the German site it does state that the Footprints have a lower footbed than traditional Birks.

I'd tried the Footprints on at a Birk store and they felt wonderful. Based on that, I went ahead and ordered them. I wore them for 2 hours, but my feet hurt so bad I had to switch to my regular Birks. The lower footbed = lower arch, and it just isn't enought support for me.

It's too bad, because I love the look of the shoe - an enclosed fisherman's style - and ordered it in the midnight blue nubuck to wear with my jeans. When I get my PF under control I hope to be able to wear them.

I'm expecting my shipment tomorrow of the London style I've ordered, which are enclosed and have the traditional Birk footbed.

My PF is severe enough at this point that Birks are the only shoe I'm able to wear. I've tried a variety of other shoes with no success. My feet still hurt with the Birks, but the PF is gradually improving and the pain is much more tolerable.

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:02 (031387)

around $12 eurodollars which is around $12.00 by air.

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:04 (031388)

barbara: do they make your size? ha ha!

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:06 (031389)

i have commented many times i think there is more to the birks than just the footbed. what i do not know. perhaps the feet are not as restricted.

Matt P on 10/26/00 at 22:19 (031417)

Salina- I don't have Birk footprint but thinking of getting one before. I am wearing Arizona soft footbed ordered from the same site you all mention. Other than Arizona, I have those closed toe types, Boston, Oklahoma and Tokio, all after getting Arizona.
Someone was right all Birks are not the same. I ended up using only the first pair that I bought. So be careful before buying one without trying first.
I used to ask them(the German site) if they could do custom made. They said they could do with 30 % more cost to me. My thought was soft footbed Arizona was O.K. with me, why not make removable soft footbed Arizona and then put it into the frame of any footprint that I choose or even the frame of any other shoe that I already have. The later will be even better if I can find the frame and sole that fit better than Birk footprint. For me I think Birk footprint sole will not give enough cushion for me even with soft footbed insole on the top.
I almost asked them to make only removable insole of soft footbed Arizona type but change my mind because I can't find any shoe in shoe stores yet that will fit Birk removable insole(it is so wide in forefoot).
If you ordered, let us know how you feel.

Julie F on 10/27/00 at 02:22 (031424)

I think you're right, John, there is more to Birks than the footbed. I think the 'more' is that because of the way the toe part of the shoe is constructed and the way you're supposed to walk in them, your toes are working all the time, and this should be strengthening the muscles of the forefoot and arch, not just giving support. That's how it feels to me, anyway.

I only have the Arizonas, but I've tried others on and I agree with Salina that the footbeds are not all the same, but the toe-grip bit is consistent, I think.

Julie F on 10/27/00 at 03:57 (031427)

Thanks everyone for the tip about cheaper Birks from the German website. I had a look at it, thinking the on-line prices wouldn't be very different from prices here in England, but they are - the Arizonas I bought a few weeks ago for 50 are 23! (I'm trying to order another pair, but can't get into the shopping cart for some reason.)

Their returns policy described on the information pages doesn't sound too good to me, so I'm reluctant to order anything that I don't KNOW is right. Has anybody had any experience of returning shoes to them?

Barbara TX on 10/27/00 at 10:48 (031448)

Julie - I've have tried to e-mail the german site repeatedly to ask about returning a pair and I got absolutely no response. The pair they sent me, even after I faxed outlines of my feet, was too small. I paid 59.41 total... so if anyone out there would like I pair of ABSOLUTELY UNUSED (not even once) Milano light brown 42 normal Birks, TexBabs will ship them to you postpaid in the US for 35 bucks. The Milano's are an Arizona with a back strap. About ordering from Germany - I would be sure that you have known and loved a pair of Birks first, and order what you KNOW will fit you. B.

john h on 10/27/00 at 12:01 (031459)

dr z pointed out to me when looking at my airizonas the soles were very stiff and the sandal was really an accomodative orthotic. the stiff soles probably play a part in this also.

salina on 10/27/00 at 12:04 (031461)

Hi Julie,
So get info on the different shoes, and to browse, I go to the website and click on 'enter here'.
BUT for some reason my computer wont let me go to the shopping cart from there either.
When I actually want to purchase something, I have to instead click on
'easy shopping' or 'no frames, no java' down at the bottom, instead of clicking on the normal 'enter here'.
The site still comes up, with the different lines of shoes, but its simpler with no frames and my computer doesn't get messed up.
hope this helps.

Re: What about putting a different insert in the Footprints?

Beverly on 10/28/00 at 16:21 (031533)

What about putting a different insert in the Footprints? They are removeable.

Beverly

john h on 10/26/00 at 11:56 (031342)

salina: go the german birkenstock web site. they tell you everything you ever wanted to know about birks and have pictures. they are about half the cost at american stores. they have recently added a lot of shoes with a little bit softer footbed. i just ordered 2 pair. if you order i suggest order by air or it will come by a slow boat that must stop in hong kong on the way. i noticed a lot of the nurses wearing birks (closed front and open back) when at the hospital last week. they looked like the Boston model.

Kim B. on 10/26/00 at 12:44 (031348)

John, what is the web site address? Do you have it?

Thanks, Kim B.

AmyM on 10/26/00 at 13:37 (031353)

I have one of the footprint birks Annapolis or something like that
Its a black closed shoe with a velcro strap. I'm not sure how the footbed compares to the Arizona, I'm in the Uk and decided early on that sandals were NOT an option.
I find them very comfortable although it took about a week to break them in. THe foot bed is removalble its a cork latex mix. The shoes were expensive and won't really do in the snow but better than nothing. I rotate them with my Clarks

amym

salina on 10/26/00 at 15:14 (031361)

Hi Kim, I have the address. Its http://www.birkenstock-cn.com
Their prices are usually HALF what the same shoe would cost at other sites or in stores.
I only have one pair of the arizona sandals, and then a pair of the soft bed sandals. The softbed ones felt comfortable cause they are softer (duh!!) but after a while (like an hour) my arches were aching, so I think in the 'making it softer' part it made the arch not as good for me. I stress the 'for me' , cause that is probably not the case with other people.
When I went to the 'Footprints' style section, under 'trekking' or 'outdoor' cant remember, they have some good hiking type shoes supposedly waterproof. So they might be good for inclement conditions during winter also. I just sooooo dont want to blow any more money.
My reeboks feel cushiony, but I always end up back in my birk sandals. And my feet must swell or something off and on, cause sometimes they are too loose and slide around, then other times they are uncomfortably tight. So I keep adjusting the strap, and don't like the feel of my foot moving around so much. I like a good laced up shoe for this reason. Cause with the little ones, when I gotta move I usually have to move fast. :) And the sandals don't cut it during these times.
I tried to ask the company if the Footprint shoes have the same footbed as the Arizonas, but they always claim that ALL their shoes have the same footbed. This is not really true. OK, I'm rambling.
bye

salina on 10/26/00 at 15:17 (031362)

Amy, john h. is right. Go to this website, cause they have some new shoes that are much better for winter conditions such as snow.
I think the Tatami line, under 'outdoor' or 'trekking' has some.
But Footprints line has several to choose from. They are expensive, but I have priced the same shoes with other websites, and they are cut in half.

Nancy N on 10/26/00 at 15:51 (031369)

How much does it cost to ship them from Germany?

Barbara TX on 10/26/00 at 16:52 (031384)

Nancy - I paid 14 bucks to have them shipped 'express' and still that took two whole weeks. They also sent the wrong size, even when I faxed them outlines of my feet. I would go to a store to try them on, IMHO. Good luck in the shoe search! B.

LynMaire on 10/26/00 at 16:59 (031386)

I've ordered several pair of Birks from the German site (www.birkenstock-cn.com) over the last 3 months. The price ends up being about 1/2, but if you want even more of a saving check to see how the Euro Dollar is doing at http://www.xe.net/ucc/ before ordering.

Last month I ordered a pair in the Footprints line because I wanted an enclosed shoe, and loved the look of the Madera style. Somewhere on the German site it does state that the Footprints have a lower footbed than traditional Birks.

I'd tried the Footprints on at a Birk store and they felt wonderful. Based on that, I went ahead and ordered them. I wore them for 2 hours, but my feet hurt so bad I had to switch to my regular Birks. The lower footbed = lower arch, and it just isn't enought support for me.

It's too bad, because I love the look of the shoe - an enclosed fisherman's style - and ordered it in the midnight blue nubuck to wear with my jeans. When I get my PF under control I hope to be able to wear them.

I'm expecting my shipment tomorrow of the London style I've ordered, which are enclosed and have the traditional Birk footbed.

My PF is severe enough at this point that Birks are the only shoe I'm able to wear. I've tried a variety of other shoes with no success. My feet still hurt with the Birks, but the PF is gradually improving and the pain is much more tolerable.

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:02 (031387)

around $12 eurodollars which is around $12.00 by air.

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:04 (031388)

barbara: do they make your size? ha ha!

john h on 10/26/00 at 18:06 (031389)

i have commented many times i think there is more to the birks than just the footbed. what i do not know. perhaps the feet are not as restricted.

Matt P on 10/26/00 at 22:19 (031417)

Salina- I don't have Birk footprint but thinking of getting one before. I am wearing Arizona soft footbed ordered from the same site you all mention. Other than Arizona, I have those closed toe types, Boston, Oklahoma and Tokio, all after getting Arizona.
Someone was right all Birks are not the same. I ended up using only the first pair that I bought. So be careful before buying one without trying first.
I used to ask them(the German site) if they could do custom made. They said they could do with 30 % more cost to me. My thought was soft footbed Arizona was O.K. with me, why not make removable soft footbed Arizona and then put it into the frame of any footprint that I choose or even the frame of any other shoe that I already have. The later will be even better if I can find the frame and sole that fit better than Birk footprint. For me I think Birk footprint sole will not give enough cushion for me even with soft footbed insole on the top.
I almost asked them to make only removable insole of soft footbed Arizona type but change my mind because I can't find any shoe in shoe stores yet that will fit Birk removable insole(it is so wide in forefoot).
If you ordered, let us know how you feel.

Julie F on 10/27/00 at 02:22 (031424)

I think you're right, John, there is more to Birks than the footbed. I think the 'more' is that because of the way the toe part of the shoe is constructed and the way you're supposed to walk in them, your toes are working all the time, and this should be strengthening the muscles of the forefoot and arch, not just giving support. That's how it feels to me, anyway.

I only have the Arizonas, but I've tried others on and I agree with Salina that the footbeds are not all the same, but the toe-grip bit is consistent, I think.

Julie F on 10/27/00 at 03:57 (031427)

Thanks everyone for the tip about cheaper Birks from the German website. I had a look at it, thinking the on-line prices wouldn't be very different from prices here in England, but they are - the Arizonas I bought a few weeks ago for 50 are 23! (I'm trying to order another pair, but can't get into the shopping cart for some reason.)

Their returns policy described on the information pages doesn't sound too good to me, so I'm reluctant to order anything that I don't KNOW is right. Has anybody had any experience of returning shoes to them?

Barbara TX on 10/27/00 at 10:48 (031448)

Julie - I've have tried to e-mail the german site repeatedly to ask about returning a pair and I got absolutely no response. The pair they sent me, even after I faxed outlines of my feet, was too small. I paid 59.41 total... so if anyone out there would like I pair of ABSOLUTELY UNUSED (not even once) Milano light brown 42 normal Birks, TexBabs will ship them to you postpaid in the US for 35 bucks. The Milano's are an Arizona with a back strap. About ordering from Germany - I would be sure that you have known and loved a pair of Birks first, and order what you KNOW will fit you. B.

john h on 10/27/00 at 12:01 (031459)

dr z pointed out to me when looking at my airizonas the soles were very stiff and the sandal was really an accomodative orthotic. the stiff soles probably play a part in this also.

salina on 10/27/00 at 12:04 (031461)

Hi Julie,
So get info on the different shoes, and to browse, I go to the website and click on 'enter here'.
BUT for some reason my computer wont let me go to the shopping cart from there either.
When I actually want to purchase something, I have to instead click on
'easy shopping' or 'no frames, no java' down at the bottom, instead of clicking on the normal 'enter here'.
The site still comes up, with the different lines of shoes, but its simpler with no frames and my computer doesn't get messed up.
hope this helps.

Re: What about putting a different insert in the Footprints?

Beverly on 10/28/00 at 16:21 (031533)

What about putting a different insert in the Footprints? They are removeable.

Beverly