Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scar Tissue

Posted by salina on 10/26/00 at 12:53 (031350)

If a person has pain from scar tissue, where is the pain at? What does it feel like? How do you know if you have scar tissue? What do you do about it? thanks

Re: Scar Tissue

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/26/00 at 18:26 (031400)

This is a very general question that I will try to answer. Scar tissue is a term that is just thrown out for lack of any answer. So I am very careful in the way that I use it. If you want to be very specific such as how you think this is involved with your foot just ask. In general scar tissue is a phase in the healing cycle that the body places in the wound during healing. The body should remoldel this scar tissue, and you hope it turns into normal painfree tissue. The goal of treating scar tissue is two folds

1. Get rid of any pain it may be causing.

2. Increase flexiblility and mobility that it may be restricting .

I cannot of any other reason to treat scar tissue beside the above.

Re: Scar Tissue

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/26/00 at 18:26 (031400)

This is a very general question that I will try to answer. Scar tissue is a term that is just thrown out for lack of any answer. So I am very careful in the way that I use it. If you want to be very specific such as how you think this is involved with your foot just ask. In general scar tissue is a phase in the healing cycle that the body places in the wound during healing. The body should remoldel this scar tissue, and you hope it turns into normal painfree tissue. The goal of treating scar tissue is two folds

1. Get rid of any pain it may be causing.

2. Increase flexiblility and mobility that it may be restricting .

I cannot of any other reason to treat scar tissue beside the above.